Free Dance | Golden Skate

Free Dance

rain

Record Breaker
Okay, so I haven't watched it yet and am jumping the gun....but the results are up and I wanted to comment.

Yay for D/L - I've been a fan for years and it's nice to see them win one - handily, at that.

But I can't help but be struck, looking at the scores of the various teams, by all of the many deductions. What's up with all the deductions in ice dance this season? As I recall, this was rare last year. D/L, while finishing first, have a two-point deduction, while the Ukranians G/G have a whopping four-point penalty.....what's going on?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'm not all that knowledgeable about dance rules, but I have seen quite a bit of commentary about deductions for things like "extended or illegal lifts."

And who knows - maybe some of those are costume deductions for wedgies. (just kidding)

DG

Antilles

Medalist
Tracy Wilson thinks D&L's are for going over time limits on lifts. When you see G&G, it's kind of obvious. They had a very bad day. Very happy for D&L. What a lovely program! G&P did (IMO) a very badly ripped off version of A&Ps Romeo&Juliet.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
And who knows - maybe some of those are costume deductions for wedgies. (just kidding)
:rofl: :laugh:
Great to see Melissa and Denis on the podium! Good for them! :clap:

Yikes! What is up with 4.0 deduction for G/G? I guess the judges are cracking down on illegal moves and lifts.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Score sheets are up for real - no error messages this time.

The deductions are noted specifically on the score sheets. D/L got -2 for illegal lifts. G/G got -2 for illegal lifts, and -2 for falls.

Hope this helps..

DG

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Score sheets are up for real - no error messages this time.

The deductions are noted specifically on the score sheets. D/L got -2 for illegal lifts. G/G got -2 for illegal lifts, and -2 for falls.
FALLS??? As in PLURAL???

herios

Medalist
RealtorGal said:
FALLS??? As in PLURAL???

Yes, Falls. Both Elena and Ruslan fell on the circular step sequence, they tripped on each other's foot, then both went down on their knees.
Also, Elena had a major error on one of the twizzles, she put her free foot down twice on the reverse twizzle turn.

And I would've not selected The Feelings begin!!!!! I would ban the music. Period.

Herios - Joseph

herios

Medalist
Antilles said:
Tracy Wilson thinks D&L's are for going over time limits on lifts. When you see G&G, it's kind of obvious. They had a very bad day. Very happy for D&L. What a lovely program! G&P did (IMO) a very badly ripped off version of A&Ps Romeo&Juliet.

Totally in agreement. Nice to see Dubreuil & Lauzon with a great choice of music.
And I would deduct for G & P off their marks for "Plagiarsm".....and for the same reason for Grushina and Goncharov...

Herios - Joseph

rain

Record Breaker
Now that I've seen it I wanted to comment some more......
Love D/L's program - absolutely a masterpiece for them. It suits them perfectly - the absolutely float through it. It wove a spell as you watched it. A special one for sure and one I'm looking forward to seeing all season long.
G/G - what can you say - not their day at all. The fall was bad - can't say I found their program to be all that inspiring otherwise, either.