Getting used to new skates - beginner? | Golden Skate

Getting used to new skates - beginner?

NapoleonSissy

Spectator
Hello,
I've recently bought new skates and I have taken them to the ice yesterday for the first time (leave it to me to buy new skates just before summer) and I almost couldn't skate it them. Is that normal?

To give you some context. I am an adult beginner and have taken group classes. So far I can go forwards, backwards, stop, turn, we are working on crossovers (I can cross but it's not a crossover) and simple spins (but I suck at those somehow). I also have this mental block after a huge fall, but the lessons had been helping tremendously.
I previously used recreational Botas skates (Regina) and after having quite a bit of trouble with my arch and doing some reading and consulting with people at the rink and skate shop, I've come to a conclusion I definitely need different skates.
I opted for Jacksons and since I'm an adult beginner (I wouldn't say I'm "heavy" but I'm kind of muscular so I weigh around 69kg and I am 28), but I don't plan on jumping, so I got Jackson Artiste with Mark IV blades. I also got them professionaly sharpened.
They fit nice, my arch doesn't hurt even after a while of wearing them. However, the blade...it scares me.The one big fall I had was caused by me going fast and tripping over toepick 😅

During the one 30 minute skating session I had with the new skates I could barely let go of the railing and I mostly opted for swizzles.

Now, I know new boots + blade, especially when leveling up, needs adjustment time. I also haven't skated for three months prior due to the rink being closed. However, my lessons are starting back again in like two weeks so I really need to get used to the new skates.

I plan to go like twice a week for 30-40 minutes sessions in the next two weeks, since that's all I can manage with my work schedule.
Do you have any tips on how to make the adjustment easier? I tried googling but all the exercises were for more advanced skaters, and I am a beginner.

Also important to note that in general (except for that one time) I do not trip over the toepick nor did I, at any point, loose my balance on the new skates. I don't really fall often, but I am kinda of teriffied of it, so I think it's mainly a mental block.
Any tips or advice is welcome :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think that's a great schedule for getting back into the swing of things. Try to remember to keep your knees soft. They act as shock absorbers, so will help you smoothly ride out any rough ice. If you can condition yourself to automatically bend your knees when you feel scared, you should naturally put yourself on the correct part of the blade to just glide it out and balance properly - with the bonus that should you actually fall, you're already closer to the ice!

Definitely cut yourself some slack on adjusting to the new boots and blades. I remember going from a cheap beginner/recreational set to my first pair of properly fitted boots and Coronation Ace blades. Caught that toe pick and went straight over on about my third or fourth stroke! (And that was about 40 years ago!) But please don't let it put you off. You'll soon find yourself improving in leaps and bounds. Or maybe edges and bunny hops.

Keep going. You got this!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello,
I've recently bought new skates and I have taken them to the ice yesterday for the first time (leave it to me to buy new skates just before summer) and I almost couldn't skate it them. Is that normal?

To give you some context. I am an adult beginner and have taken group classes. So far I can go forwards, backwards, stop, turn, we are working on crossovers (I can cross but it's not a crossover) and simple spins (but I suck at those somehow). I also have this mental block after a huge fall, but the lessons had been helping tremendously.
I previously used recreational Botas skates (Regina) and after having quite a bit of trouble with my arch and doing some reading and consulting with people at the rink and skate shop, I've come to a conclusion I definitely need different skates.
I opted for Jacksons and since I'm an adult beginner (I wouldn't say I'm "heavy" but I'm kind of muscular so I weigh around 69kg and I am 28), but I don't plan on jumping, so I got Jackson Artiste with Mark IV blades. I also got them professionaly sharpened.
They fit nice, my arch doesn't hurt even after a while of wearing them. However, the blade...it scares me.The one big fall I had was caused by me going fast and tripping over toepick 😅

During the one 30 minute skating session I had with the new skates I could barely let go of the railing and I mostly opted for swizzles.

Now, I know new boots + blade, especially when leveling up, needs adjustment time. I also haven't skated for three months prior due to the rink being closed. However, my lessons are starting back again in like two weeks so I really need to get used to the new skates.

I plan to go like twice a week for 30-40 minutes sessions in the next two weeks, since that's all I can manage with my work schedule.
Do you have any tips on how to make the adjustment easier? I tried googling but all the exercises were for more advanced skaters, and I am a beginner.

Also important to note that in general (except for that one time) I do not trip over the toepick nor did I, at any point, loose my balance on the new skates. I don't really fall often, but I am kinda of teriffied of it, so I think it's mainly a mental block.
Any tips or advice is welcome :)
Hello and welcome! :)
I agree with what WednesdayMarch said, but I am also going to have to put it out there that your boots aren't stiff enough for your height/weight being an adult. The Artiste is way too soft for you. IMHO and from experience in the sport and with boots/blades you should not be in a stock boot any lower rated than Jackson Debut. Have you had a pro fitting for boots?

Last edited:

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
Hi @NapoleonSissy,

Is it possible that you tied your new skates too tight around the ankle and can't bend your ankle in them? The Botas boot is extremely flexible, so you may have been able to tie them very tight and still bend your ankle. You could try putting your new skates on at home (with guards on) and trying to squat. If you can't get very low, you might be tying the laces too tight.

As for the toe pick, were you were fitted and know the boots are the right length? If so, I found it useful to spend more time on the picks, especially working on the bunny hop because it teaches you how to save yourself from tripping over, among other things. Despite my improvements, I still sometimes trip on the toe picks (spiral anyone?). What makes me feel safe is knowing that I can save myself from falling by bunny hopping out of it. Or sometimes they get stuck in the ice, but it doesn't actually mess anything up because the feeling of being on the picks doesn't scare me anymore.

Keep at it, it takes time to get used to the new skates, but they sound like a big improvement to your old ones!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi @NapoleonSissy,

Is it possible that you tied your new skates too tight around the ankle and can't bend your ankle in them? The Botas boot is extremely flexible, so you may have been able to tie them very tight and still bend your ankle. You could try putting your new skates on at home (with guards on) and trying to squat. If you can't get very low, you might be tying the laces too tight.

As for the toe pick, were you were fitted and know the boots are the right length? If so, I found it useful to spend more time on the picks, especially working on the bunny hop because it teaches you how to save yourself from tripping over, among other things. Despite my improvements, I still sometimes trip on the toe picks (spiral anyone?). What makes me feel safe is knowing that I can save myself from falling by bunny hopping out of it. Or sometimes they get stuck in the ice, but it doesn't actually mess anything up because the feeling of being on the picks doesn't scare me anymore.

Keep at it, it takes time to get used to the new skates, but they sound like a big improvement to your old ones.
Not to mention one should not be tying their boots all the way up to the top anyway.

NapoleonSissy

Spectator
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd give an update.
I successfully "broke in" the new skates after like ...fifth session on ice?
They're fine now.

The toepick hasn't really given me any issues so far (crossing fingers that hopefully ita won't).

I've regained my snowplow stop on the right foot (I brake mainly on my left, right is my bad side when stopping).

My edges are also fine, actually my insides feel great and my outsides arei well...very shallow. But that's better than the nonexistent ones I had before (any tips on that are welcome!)

I also found that spinning is easier, although I'm still bad at that (but I think that's because I turn clockwise and I have issues with doing that on my right foot, but getting into the clockwise spin on my left foot feels weird somehow because I start by going backwards?? I'm not sure).

I haven't tried crossovers yet, because I am and always have been scared of crossing my feet. But since my edges feel better I think once our group coach forces me to try I'll be better than I was with the old skates.

So far they're holding up really well and don't give me any pain (other than what you would expect from skating).
Thanks to all for reassuring words!