Gracie Gold in-depth interview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold in-depth interview

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I love that she did this and am so happy for her because she seems to be doing well.

I wish someone who knew more about the sport was interviewing her. He refers to her as a professional figure skater more than once and you can tell he doesn't really make the connections someone in the know would make. His comments to anything figure skating related she says are "wow, that's crazy, so cool, amazing."

I disagree that it would have been better if the interviewer had known a lot about figure skating. It was about Gracie, her journey, and "the big picture". For instance, she discussed his "loss" at 2016 worlds in terms of what it meant to her. Someone very knowledgable or interested in skating may have gone into the details of the skate and what went wrong, which is OK, but obscures the big picture of what it meant to her.

It might have been better if he'd referred to her as an elite figure skater rather than as a pro, but she also used the word "pro", and she could have corrected him if she had wanted to. It was clear what he meant when he talked about her being an Olympian and competing at Nationals and Worlds.

Todd

Spectator
I thought Gracie's was an amazingly insightful look into depression and how its similar to any other injury and needs to be addressed by the IOC and USFSA. It was brilliant and brave.

Thx
Todd

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Welcome to Golden Skate, Todd! Post often and post long!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I disagree that it would have been better if the interviewer had known a lot about figure skating. It was about Gracie, her journey, and "the big picture". For instance, she discussed his "loss" at 2016 worlds in terms of what it meant to her. Someone very knowledgable or interested in skating may have gone into the details of the skate and what went wrong, which is OK, but obscures the big picture of what it meant to her.

It might have been better if he'd referred to her as an elite figure skater rather than as a pro, but she also used the word "pro", and she could have corrected him if she had wanted to. It was clear what he meant when he talked about her being an Olympian and competing at Nationals and Worlds.

In addition, it's clear that this person earned Gracie's trust by sharing his own experiences with depression (which he references during the interview).

I think it's also good that Gracie shared her story with a non-skating audience. I think people see athletes as super humans and I think it's nice for people to realize that athletes deal with challenges and struggles.

Also, I think it's a reminder that for all of Gracie's struggles, she STILL did a whole lot in her career. She's still a two-time U.S. Champion. And Olympian and a team bronze medalist. While we kind of shrug at that because she didn't get the big prizes, for pretty much the rest of the world those are still some notable achievements.

Also, I think the non-skating focus of the interview allowed us to find out about things about Gracie we wouldn't have otherwise. I really love hearing about her rituals and how she uses pinterest to motivate her in the morning!

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thank you for posting this. I pray if she comes back people won’t attack her with the ignorant “head case” label again. Haven’t read article but thanks for the summary. I am a Gracie fan and always will be.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Would love to see Gracie Gold have a great comeback story, and prove what she can do!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Just popping in to add that eating disorders and depression/anxiety disorders (as in a mental illness, not situational depression) are not mutually exclusive and are often co-occurring. In many cases they're inextricably linked. For me, my eating disorder was one of the ways in which my depression -- the chemical imbalance in my brain -- manifested itself in my behaviour. You can't treat one without the other. The brain is a complex thing.

Anyway, it's really nice to see Gracie being open and honest about her struggle with illness. It's incredibly difficult to open yourself up like that to thousands of strangers (some of whom who would love nothing more than to disparage you for it), so bravo for that. I really do hope she's in a healthier, happier place now. I know from experience how difficult it is to live with that sort of illness, so seeing her getting back on the horse is really inspiring.

I agree with this 100%. My eating disorder 'improved' but my depression stayed the same. I just found new ways to hurt myself. All my destructive behavior was a bad attempt to stabilize my mood. It was only when I finally treated my depression that the other things improved too. I really respect Gracie for sharing this- hopefully it inspires other people who are struggling to get help. Depression and mental health issues are really widespread and I think it would be really easy for someone in a elite sport to feel really isolated- especially in something as individual as figure skating.

I will be cheering for her no matter what success she has.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I applaud Gracie for having the courage to do this interview, and also for being so open and honest in response to the questions. She’s such a lovely and intelligent young woman. I think her struggles have made her wise beyond her years. I’m so happy and relieved that she seems to be in a much better place mentally, and I’m pulling for her 100 percent.

pearly

Record Breaker

In addition, it's clear that this person earned Gracie's trust by sharing his own experiences with depression (which he references during the interview).

I think it's also good that Gracie shared her story with a non-skating audience. I think people see athletes as super humans and I think it's nice for people to realize that athletes deal with challenges and struggles.

Also, I think it's a reminder that for all of Gracie's struggles, she STILL did a whole lot in her career. She's still a two-time U.S. Champion. And Olympian and a team bronze medalist. While we kind of shrug at that because she didn't get the big prizes, for pretty much the rest of the world those are still some notable achievements.

Also, I think the non-skating focus of the interview allowed us to find out about things about Gracie we wouldn't have otherwise. I really love hearing about her rituals and how she uses pinterest to motivate her in the morning!

That is all very true, however I felt he had absolutely no idea what to do with most of her skating related answers so went with "wow, that's crazy, amazing". It was obvious he could make more connections to his own experience and had a lot more to say when she talked about her mental state.

His questions were good and she made the interview great.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I applaud Gracie for having the courage to do this interview, and also for being so open and honest in response to the questions. She’s such a lovely and intelligent young woman. I think her struggles have made her wise beyond her years. I’m so happy and relieved that she seems to be in a much better place mentally, and I’m pulling for her 100 percent.

I am very excited to see how these difficult experiences will reflect in her skating - I am glad she decided to give skating and competing a chance as she gave on to herself: with time to heal and grow, with much needed attention to her health and well-being. I think she matured a lot and seems way more 'at peace' with skating, competing than she was before the struggle and battle with ED and other problems. Between Liza Tuktamysheva and Gracie I will stand alongside both too, no matter how they will do:). I hope that Gracie will stay to herself and to what she achieved during this time taken off skating.

pearly

Record Breaker
The video has now been removed. I wonder if it had anything to do with the host saying it takes an incredibly strong (depressed) person to take one's own life. :noshake:

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
I hope Gracie has fun in her comeback. I’m curious what a skate by a Gracie who is there to have fun and isn’t so nervous (I’m sure there will still be some nerves) will look like. She sounds like she’s in a good place and I’m hoping she is happy with everything she is doing.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Yahoo article about Gracie that looks to be based on video posted by OP: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/gracie...h-issues-plans-return-olympics-163758782.html

from the article....
Gold didn’t reach out to anyone for help, worried her “reality would be denied.” She said those semi-close to her reacted that way, telling her she was Gracie Gold and how could she, of all people, be depressed?

“You might feel down, but being depressed is when you’re homeless on the street and have nothing to live for. That’s depression,” she said they told her.

So many people seem to want to "deny" that someone is suffering from depression.
I'm glad that she was eventually able to get help.

princessalica

Final Flight
I just listened to the music for Gracie's free skate, and wow, so powerful, and I would imagine so personal to her.

She Used to Be Mine
Sara Bareilles
It's not simple to say
That most days I don't recognize me
That these shoes and this apron
That place and its patrons
Have taken more than I gave them
It's not easy to know
I'm not anything like I used be, although it's true
I was never attention's sweet center
I still remember that girl
She's imperfect, but she tries
She is good, but she lies
She is hard on herself
She is broken and won't ask for help
She is messy, but she's kind
She is lonely most of the time
She is all of this mixed up and baked in a beautiful pie
She is gone, but she used to be mine
It's not what I asked for
Sometimes life just slips in through a back door
And carves out a person and makes you believe it's all true
And now I've got you
And you're not what I asked for
If I'm honest, I know I would give it all back
For a chance to start over and rewrite an ending or two
For the girl that I knew
Who'll be reckless, just enough
Who'll get hurt, but who learns how to toughen up
When she's bruised and gets used by a man who can't love
And then she'll get stuck
And be scared of the life that's inside her
Growing stronger each day 'til it finally reminds her
To fight just a little, to bring back the fire in her eyes
That's been gone, but used to be mine
Used to be mine
She is messy, but she's kind
She is lonely most of the time
She is all of this mixed up and baked in a beautiful pie
She is gone, but she used to be mine

moriel

Record Breaker
Also, hopefully, now she will deal with less pressure, since Olympics are far far away, and Bradie seems to be less hot or cold than Ashley.