Grand Prix finals: “major championship” or “who cares?” | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix finals: “major championship” or “who cares?”

Clearly, I should never have started posting under my own name...I too could be a mysterious person., but I have missed my chance :) .. :laugh:

But Doris, just because you post with a first name and a last name, you could still be a mysterious person using a nom de plume! Hmmm. Who could you be....

As for Alissa's program, I don't see why it has to have a theme. George Balanchine made an entire brilliant career choreographing abstract dances instead of narratives. For myself, I've never been too excited about George Winston just as a separate musical experience, but in this case the music works beautifully and creates a splendid backdrop for Alissa's lighter-than-gossamer skating. I don't particularly like white or baby blue as colors for skating costumes, either, but Alissa works them just right. I was just thrilled to see how well she did. How tremendous to see her jumps live up to the level of her spins (well...nothing lives up to the level of her spins, but you know what I mean). Didn't you love how the camera honed in on the spins? And how she twirled on a pinpoint, not traveling an iota from her center? And wasn't her spiral a thing of beauty and a joy forever? My praise for her extends to Sato and Dunjen. May this team go from strength to strength!

As for Rachael, I deeply hope she pulls herself back up. The lady is a fighter, and she is worth supporting just for that. At this moment, she isn't up to the level of YuNa or Mao, but who is? There's room for more than two people in skating, and you never know which skaters will shine at what event anyway. No one who pronounces from the sidelines has the right to declare a skater's career over. Gee, imagine if Paul Wylie had listened to the "experts" and left in, say, 1991.

Layfan

Record Breaker
But Doris, just because you post with a first name and a last name, you could still be a mysterious person using a nom de plume! Hmmm. Who could you be....

As for Alissa's program, I don't see why it has to have a theme. George Balanchine made an entire brilliant career choreographing abstract dances instead of narratives. For myself, I've never been too excited about George Winston just as a separate musical experience, but in this case the music works beautifully and creates a splendid backdrop for Alissa's lighter-than-gossamer skating. I don't particularly like white or baby blue as colors for skating costumes, either, but Alissa works them just right. I was just thrilled to see how well she did. How tremendous to see her jumps live up to the level of her spins (well...nothing lives up to the level of her spins, but you know what I mean). Didn't you love how the camera honed in on the spins? And how she twirled on a pinpoint, not traveling an iota from her center? And wasn't her spiral a thing of beauty and a joy forever? My praise for her extends to Sato and Dunjen. May this team go from strength to strength!

As for Rachael, I deeply hope she pulls herself back up. The lady is a fighter, and she is worth supporting just for that. At this moment, she isn't up to the level of YuNa or Mao, but who is? There's room for more than two people in skating, and you never know which skaters will shine at what event anyway. No one who pronounces from the sidelines has the right to declare a skater's career over. Gee, imagine if Paul Wylie had listened to the "experts" and left in, say, 1991.

Very nice post Olympia.

Of course the program doesn't have to have a theme. I thought Alissa was exquisite with her Tiffany inspired program in 2007, beautiful as a swan in 2009 and sparkling as Zorro's lady last year.
But I've never enjoyed her more than this year _ when she is just Alissa. :)

I give her costumes a B. But they do go well with the airy, skating-on-clouds quality of her programs.