Grand Prix Predictions Game 2014-2015 FINAL ROUND: Grand Prix Final | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Predictions Game 2014-2015 FINAL ROUND: Grand Prix Final

Wo|flax

Final Flight
In order not to cheapen the previous rounds, what we should do is have this scoring system for the whole series:laugh2: if we can advocate bigger risk punishment for falls, we should be able to take this. I wonder what would happen, who would remain sane at the end? will anyone bother to predict for men? :popcorn:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
One thing you have to consider though is that for the other rounds (at least in singles') there were 12 participants, so getting someone 2 placements off for, say CoR, is more impressive than if you had been 2 places off for GPF, since there are only half as many competitors. So for the Final, maybe only give points for perfect or 1-place-off predictions?
That's true. I agree--points for correct placement or one placement off.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Let's be careful here. This is beginning to sound a lot like the ISU Judging System now.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
However, unlike the ISU, all your feedback is appreciated and will be taken into consideration for future GP prediction games. :)

We haven't finished scoring yet, so I don't want to give any data in terms of how the all-or-nothing round impacted standings this year. I can tell you that the winner of last year's game was one of our top scorers all season long. I can do a little more research in terms of how the all-or-nothing game format has worked in the past.

One thing I did notice, which pitterpatter pointed out earlier, that people were more daring in their predictions. Ice Dance, in particular had quite a few variations.

Anyway please keep the feedback coming. In addition, I will go over this with the scorers as well.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Let's be careful here. This is beginning to sound a lot like the ISU Judging System now.

Sorry if any of my (or others) posts are coming off that way. I don't want to criticize the hard work everyone has put into this game, as I enjoy it & I know dozens of other users do too! :agree: Just trying to toss some ideas around about the scoring... I'm not even sure myself what would be the best way to go about scoring this last round, it's quite tricky imo :confused2:

However, unlike the ISU, all your feedback is appreciated and will be taken into consideration for future GP prediction games. :)

We haven't finished scoring yet, so I don't want to give any data in terms of how the all-or-nothing round impacted standings this year. I can tell you that the winner of last year's game was one of our top scorers all season long. I can do a little more research in terms of how the all-or-nothing game format has worked in the past.

One thing I did notice, which pitterpatter pointed out earlier, that people were more daring in their predictions. Ice Dance, in particular had quite a few variations.

Anyway please keep the feedback coming. In addition, I will go over this with the scorers as well.

:laugh2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... For the vast prize money and enormous prestige one gets from winning this competition ...

;) :laugh2:

Although the prestige perhaps is not so enormous, the satisfaction factor from doing well must be quite significant. :think: Or so it seems to me as a non-player (with no opinion on the rules).

In all seriousness, the game would be an intriguing case study for Malcolm Gladwell or the Freakonomics guys or someone like them.
Even without money and prestige at stake, the overall passion for the game seems remarkably high. :cool:

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
So, here we are with the first official results for these GPF predictions! Most of us scored, es expected, 30 or 60, but (and I have to say that I didn't expect it at all) we have ONE PERFECT SCORE:
big :clap: to inside edges who received 240 points!!
Second place, with 150 points (most of them switching Anna and Julia) for StitchMonkey, Wilheimina, Alba :agree:
Third place, with 120 points: CaroLiza_fan, demarinis5, Li'Kitsu, LRK, chamaleon
This concludes our GPF events for Ladies: thank you for playing and (as always) let me know if you find mistakes in the scores! ;)

Wow, I'm the only one here with one perfect score?

I'm pleasantly surprised with the game result and also very appreciative to the skaters who makes me in the position. :)
Although my prediction on the men's placement is screwed again, the ladies saved my butt big time.

Also thanks to Mrs. P and every participants who have made this game more exciting.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Wow, I'm the only one here with one perfect score?

I'm pleasantly surprised with the game result and also very appreciative to the skaters who makes me in the position. :)
Although my prediction on the men's placement is screwed again, the ladies saved my butt big time.

Also thanks to Mrs. P and every participants who have made this game more exciting.

There are quite a few perfect scores in Dance as well.

But still, major congrats on your perfect score. Now 'fess up--was black magic involved? Crystal balls? Ouija boards? Animal sacrifices?

;)

Just kidding. Given how crazy this GP season has been in singles, to get a perfect score in any of its competitions is A Very Impressive Thing Indeed. :bow:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
ICE DANCE RESULTS

Winners: with perfect score of 240 points - SashaJuliaSpins, Danja, Mentalopes and cjmorton29.
2nd place: with total of 150 points shared invisiblespiral, anyanka, FTnoona, mis751, Sabrina and Snow63 :)biggrin:).
3rd place: with 120 points shared 24 people.

My congratulations to all the winners.:hb:

OVERALL ICE DANCE RESULTS
Final top 10 of best ICE DANCE predictioners:

1. Mentalopes - 560 pts.
2. cjmorton29 - 550 pts.
3. Danja - 530 pts.
4. SashaJuliaSpins - 470 pts.
5. invisiblespiral - 465 pts.
6. Snow63 - 460 pts.
7. NYscorp6 - 440 pts.
8. Mrs P. - 435 pts.
9. WeakAnkles, Skategmt, gallavich, bellflower - 425 pts.
10. sequingalore, GF2445 - 420 pts.

Congratulations. :agree:

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
ICE DANCE RESULTS

Winners: with perfect score of 240 points - SashaJuliaSpins, Danja, Mentalopes and cjmorton29.
2nd place: with total of 150 points shared invisiblespiral, anyanka, FTnoona, mis751, Sabrina and Snow63 :)biggrin:).

1. Mentalopes - 560 pts.
2. cjmorton29 - 550 pts.
3. Danja - 530 pts.
6. Snow63 - 460 pts.
7. NYscorp6 - 440 pts.
8. Mrs P. - 435 pts.

Thank you Snow63 and all the other scorers. This was my first year playing the predictions game. That was fun, although my Grand Prix Final results were bad. Ouch!!!

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
ICE DANCE RESULTS

1. Mentalopes - 560 pts.
2. cjmorton29 - 550 pts.
3. Danja - 530 pts.
6. Snow63 - 460 pts.
7. NYscorp6 - 440 pts.
8. Mrs P. - 435 pts.

:laugh2: I made top 10?!!!!!! :jaw: I missed Skate America for goodness sake! To think I might have won if I did Skate America!? Oh you ladies and gentlemen that organized and scored this game, I thank you all! I have never, never followed and appreciated skating this closely until this season. Oh by the way, ice dance is the discipline I usually skimmed through...to almost medal in my first year and after missing Skate America...MY MIND IS BLOWN!

Thank you all again! Which other prediction game is on? I am addicted now!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thank you all again! Which other prediction game is on? I am addicted now!

If you can't wait until next year, the National Championships Prediction Game started last weekend with the German Championships.

If anybody hasn't joined in yet, now would be the perfect time to do so as you will have only missed one round. (And as SashaJuliaSpins can vouch for, this deficit can be easily over-come). Plus, there is a double-header this weekend with the French and Italian Championships both being held.

Of course, these are just the starters before the Main Course comes along during Christmas week, when the Russian and Japanese Championships are held.

And then, after a 3 week break, we have a very tasty desert - the American and Canadian Championships!

For more information, please see this thread for the rules, as well as links to the predictions threads.

You will be more than welcome

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
Oh so you don't get anything for having the podium correct. You need also the placement, right?
Well, I'm spot on in Pairs.

Right, you get 30 bonus points if you guess the podium in correct order :)

Snow63

Record Breaker
Yay, top 10! Two places at Worlds next year for me. :biggrin:

Darnit for switching my Canadian predictions in the GPF... would've ended up 4th/5th!

Thanks for arranging this game this season!

Congratulations. You have no idea how much I kicked myself for my Pairs and Men predictions :) Instead of 150 points for each descipline I have 0 now :laugh2: