Happy 94th Birthday, Dick Button! | Golden Skate

Happy 94th Birthday, Dick Button!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Uncle Dick is 94 today. :hb:๐ŸŽ‚

One of the all time greats (for any who might possibly not know, two time OGM and long time skating announcer. Those of us who grew up with him learned what we knew about skating from Dick Button)

I did not know about this trophy room at the Skating Club of Boston. Sets it out rather nicely.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Thank you for the info about the Trophy Room! I knew the story about Salchow gifting Button with one of his trophies, Button passing it on to Petkevich, and Petkevich passing it on to Wylie. Always wondered whether Wylie passed it on in turn, even messaged Ryan @SkateGuardBlog about it once. (Jason Brown would be a worthy future recipient!)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I grew up on Dick and Peggy commentary, and Scott Hamilton would be there during the Olympics. I can't imagine not having heard those three voices as a young skating fan (young in actual age and young in watching skating). Their love for the sport and their excitement for great performances was so obvious that it helped me appreciate it too.

Dick seemed to be an encyclopedia of skating knowledge and skating history.

Happiest of birthdays to you, Mr. Button! :hb:

meem

On the Ice
Need to re-read this book in honor of Dick's birthday. I still critique layback spins just like Dick used to, and make "hanging laundry" comments (doing that a lot ever since Dick retired) as skaters' arms keep flying up--except for Lori Nichols' skaters.