Head Protection | Golden Skate

Head Protection

TheVoid

Spectator
Country
Denmark
Hi all!

I wanted to ask some advice. I am looking around for some new head protection for skating, and I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I currently skate with forcefield headband. I do really like it, I just feel like it's a little bit narrow at the back of the head, and I worry that were I to fall backwards it might not protect me. I know these types of headbands don't protect you 100%, but they are not completely useless either, so I prefer to wear one. If nothing else I at least feel a more confident with it on.

I am particularly interested in one protective head band I've seen someone at my rink wear pre-COVID. It looked similar to the forcefield headband, but with a sort of pillow at the back of the head. Does anyone know of a head guard like that?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all!

I wanted to ask some advice. I am looking around for some new head protection for skating, and I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I currently skate with forcefield headband. I do really like it, I just feel like it's a little bit narrow at the back of the head, and I worry that were I to fall backwards it might not protect me. I know these types of headbands don't protect you 100%, but they are not completely useless either, so I prefer to wear one. If nothing else I at least feel a more confident with it on.

I am particularly interested in one protective head band I've seen someone at my rink wear pre-COVID. It looked similar to the forcefield headband, but with a sort of pillow at the back of the head. Does anyone know of a head guard like that?
I'm pretty certain the model you are looking for is one of the Ice Halo styles.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The Crasch3 Middie for Figure Skating (https://crasche.com/products) also fits your description.

Note: I have this caveat about protective headbands. Over the years, I have personally witnessed three incidents in which adult skaters wearing protective headbands fell backwards and bonked themselves on the back of the head. In each instance, the headband did cushion the initial blow somewhat, but popped off; the head rebounded, then hit the ice a second time, unprotected. Two people got up OK. One left blood on the ice and was helped off the ice, woozy. I don't know what brands and models they were; I don't know whether they were fitted properly; and I don't know whether these incidents were flukes. But be careful. There are some models of "soft helmets" with chinstraps you might want to consider.

I'm not recommending anything in particular. But for skaters who won't wear a proper hard helmet, I suppose something is better than nothing: with the additional caveat that it doesn't lull you into a sense of false protection and confidence (that is, wearing it would cause you to attempt something you otherwise wouldn't). Again, be careful.

Last edited:

TheVoid

Spectator
Country
Denmark
The Crasch3 Middie for Figure Skating (https://crasche.com/products) also fits your description.

Note: I have this caveat about protective headbands. Over the years, I have personally witnessed three incidents in which adult skaters wearing protective headbands fell backwards and bonked themselves on the back of the head. In each instance, the headband did cushion the initial blow somewhat, but popped off; the head rebounded, then hit the ice a second time, unprotected. Two people got up OK. One left blood on the ice and was helped off the ice, woozy. I don't know what brands and models they were; I don't know whether they were fitted properly; and I don't know whether these incidents were flukes. But be careful. There are some models of "soft helmets" with chinstraps you might want to consider.

I'm not recommending anything in particular. But for skaters who won't wear a proper hard helmet, I suppose something is better than nothing: with the additional caveat that it doesn't lull you into a sense of false protection and confidence (that is, wearing it would cause you to attempt something you otherwise wouldn't). Again, be careful.
I was not aware of that. Thank you for the tip.

Perhaps I should consider getting a bike helmet instead, the Nutcase type which covers most of the head. I've just read a lot of stories from people saying those can really throw off your balance as a figure skater. Would anyone happen to have any experience with that?

Also: thank you Kypma and Ic3Rabbit for your replies.

Edit: I have started looking at rollerskating helmets :D

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Perhaps I should consider getting a bike helmet instead, the Nutcase type which covers most of the head. I've just read a lot of stories from people saying those can really throw off your balance as a figure skater. Would anyone happen to have any experience with that?

There are plenty of past threads about concussions and helmets and head gear and skating here in the lutz corner part of the forum, a simple search should be able to locate those for you. :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

If you're willing to wear a proper hard helmet, you should review the ratings by Virginia Tech: https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/ . In particular, they have rated hockey helmets. I would caution against bicycle helmets, especially the aerodynamic ones that are pointed fore and aft. Bicycle helmets are primarily designed for a single, high-velocity impact. For figure skating, you want a helmet rated for multiple, lower-velocity impacts. If you don't care for the hockey-jock look, you should consider "snow sports" helmets, which are sleeker. Virginia Tech hasn't studied this category though.

If you go the helmet route, don't buy online. Proper fit is key for proper protection. Just like different boots fit different feet better or worse, different helmets fit different heads better or worse. Make sure there's an adjustable headband, as well as an adjustable chinstrap. Avoid the "one-size-fits-all" el-cheapo models that use stick-on foam pads for adjustable fit. ETA: Look for a helmet that's ventilated so you don't build up too much sweat. Lots of vent slots also reduce weight.

What level of skater are you?

Last edited:

TheVoid

Spectator
Country
Denmark
If you're willing to wear a proper hard helmet, you should review the ratings by Virginia Tech: https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/ . In particular, they have rated hockey helmets. I would caution against bicycle helmets, especially the aerodynamic ones that are pointed fore and aft. Bicycle helmets are primarily designed for a single, high-velocity impact. For figure skating, you want a helmet rated for multiple, lower-velocity impacts. If you don't care for the hockey-jock look, you should consider "snow sports" helmets, which are sleeker. Virginia Tech hasn't studied this category though.

If you go the helmet route, don't buy online. Proper fit is key for proper protection. Just like different boots fit different feet better or worse, different helmets fit different heads better or worse. Make sure there's an adjustable headband, as well as an adjustable chinstrap. Avoid the "one-size-fits-all" el-cheapo models that use stick-on foam pads for adjustable fit. ETA: Look for a helmet that's ventilated so you don't build up too much sweat. Lots of vent slots also reduce weight.

What level of skater are you?

Here in Denmark we don't really have levels for adult skaters. I've been skating for about 8 months though. I'm learning the waltz jump right now, and the one foot spin, as well as spirals and backwards crossovers. Other things too but I think they're ones that sort of show my level.

I don't fall often, really, and when I do I'm okay at breaking the fall. I mostly want one because I have anxiety and it hinders me a lot on the ice, and just having something on can be that little boost that enables me to at least try new things.

I tried the Crasche. Bought the recommended size and when I got it I thought the material was really slippery. The size was correct but it refused to stay on my head. It was sliding off even when I just did the warm up circuits. Since then I've read about several experiences of people falling and the Crasche flying off their heads as they fell, so not protecting them.
I've heard good things about the Ice Halo, and also products from Rib Cap. I think it's the Lenny.

I have looked at the ribcap and I like the idea of it, but I did see reviewers saying it wasn't suitable for skating.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here in Denmark we don't really have levels for adult skaters. I've been skating for about 8 months though. I'm learning the waltz jump right now, and the one foot spin, as well as spirals and backwards crossovers. Other things too but I think they're ones that sort of show my level.

I don't fall often, really, and when I do I'm okay at breaking the fall. I mostly want one because I have anxiety and it hinders me a lot on the ice, and just having something on can be that little boost that enables me to at least try new things.
That tells me what I need to know. You'll do fine with a hockey helmet or snow sports helmet (plain variety, no visor or brim or any feature that projects out).

Last edited:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi all!

Perhaps it's the Halo HD: https://www.icehalo.ca/product-details.php?id=705

It sounds to me that like you've learned some good techniques for breaking your falls and technique goes a long way in body safety.
The majority of adults that I know, if they are wearing head protection it's either a Halo or Crasche product.
I think that a hockey type or hard helmet could add to your anxiety due to the extra bulk on your head, especially when spinning and jumping. I know that statement will go against the grain of many here.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I would like to understand your rationale here.

You're already getting used to a new type of balancing and finding out where your body should be while learning to execute a spin or jump.
Add a whole head helmet and now you've added another layer to contend with, perhaps even some visual obstruction.
That is my contribution for the OP to think about. It will be up to them to decide what they are most comfortable wearing to alleviate their anxiety.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You're already getting used to a new type of balancing and finding out where your body should be while learning to execute a spin or jump.
Add a whole head helmet and now you've added another layer to contend with, perhaps even some visual obstruction.
That is my contribution for the OP to think about. It will be up to them to decide what they are most comfortable wearing to alleviate their anxiety.
Oh glory. I'm getting flashbacks to first time in Showgirl headgear... <goes to lie down in a darkened room>

It's actually a very valid point. I'm all for head protection, and I especially like helmets for beginners, but once they've fallen a few times and learned not to go down like a sack of potatoes because it hurts (even with a helmet) to hit your head on the ice, then I prefer them to graduate to a band. I feel, as Sandra says, it makes things easier for spinning and jumping. Just my 2 cents. I would never push for that, though. Absolutely the choice of the skater.