Heel slip/numbing | Golden Skate

Heel slip/numbing

EstPrepare

Spectator
Hi all!

A few months ago I replaced my old Jackson Competitors with Jackson Premieres. The old boots were built on the old last so the fit is different and frustrating me somewhat.

When I first started wearing them I started having a lot of pain and eventually numbness in the lower heel area. It made my whole foot numb halfway through each skate so I kept having to come off and restore circulation. You could see the pressure marks on the sides of my heel. Because of this I chose to have the boots heat molded.

Now, I am finding that while the pain/numbness has settled somewhat (I do still have some issues)
my right heel is slipping up and down ever so slightly in the boot - maybe 0.5cm if that, just enough to feel it and be uncomfortable with the movement.

Any suggestions? Should I be heading back to the pro shop? Do gel pads/other solutions work for this?

I do plan to try a new lacing technique I found on this board next Saturday (can't skate much at the moment as I am on placement for university) but thought I would put the question out there to get some idea.

Thanks,

Claire :)

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I have this problem because my right heel is shorter than my left. I got a package of generic makeup sponges and cut out a narrow section, slap on some double sided tape, and stick it in the back of the boot. Voila!

EstPrepare

Spectator
I have this problem because my right heel is shorter than my left. I got a package of generic makeup sponges and cut out a narrow section, slap on some double sided tape, and stick it in the back of the boot. Voila!
Thanks for this :) it's interesting though, I swear they said my right is the bigger foot XD

double_sal_gal

Spectator

And if that doesn't work, ask your pro shop about insoles. My right foot is smaller than my left and I've had similar problems (I'm also in Jackson Premieres, and they're my first Jacksons). At first I put cheap drugstore insoles on top of the ones that came with the boots and that helped a bit. When I went in for additional heat molding around the ankle, my pro put the cheap insoles underneath the ones that came with the boots for a better fit, and it made a difference.

Try slipping the makeup sponges under the heel of the regular insole in your boot. If that doesn't work, a good skate tech might be able to find you an insole that works better. Or they may not! And good insoles can get pricey, but if you find one that solves all your problems without creating new ones, it'll be worth the cost. Also, keep in mind that you can get heat molding more than once, and they can use it to address some issues with the fit. Good luck!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi all!

A few months ago I replaced my old Jackson Competitors with Jackson Premieres. The old boots were built on the old last so the fit is different and frustrating me somewhat.

When I first started wearing them I started having a lot of pain and eventually numbness in the lower heel area. It made my whole foot numb halfway through each skate so I kept having to come off and restore circulation. You could see the pressure marks on the sides of my heel. Because of this I chose to have the boots heat molded.

Now, I am finding that while the pain/numbness has settled somewhat (I do still have some issues)
my right heel is slipping up and down ever so slightly in the boot - maybe 0.5cm if that, just enough to feel it and be uncomfortable with the movement.

Any suggestions? Should I be heading back to the pro shop? Do gel pads/other solutions work for this?

I do plan to try a new lacing technique I found on this board next Saturday (can't skate much at the moment as I am on placement for university) but thought I would put the question out there to get some idea.

Thanks,

Claire :)
Well, the heel was too tight out-of-the box. Then the pro shop heat molded the boots. Now the heel is too loose. So, yes, go back to the pro shop and have them heat molded again. Jackson boots that are heat-moldable have an interfacial thermoplastic layer. As long as the tech does it properly, they can be heat molded again and again.