Help choosing boots and blades? | Golden Skate

Help choosing boots and blades?

faunneverhors

Spectator
Hi! I need some help with choosing new skates and blades.
I'm 15 years old, 1.55m, average weight. Currently i am in the risport electra lights paired with MK flight blades. My spins (scratch, sit, camel and back scratch) are not centered and I cant hold sit spin for very long. I find i also have some problems with jumps like flip. I feel like I just 'pick' too much into the ice and make a big hole, if that makes sense? I can do all single jumps accept axel and now working on lutz.
My main concern are the blades, i think i need an upgrade, i'm thinking about getting john wilson coronation ace or MK pros. can anyone tell me the difference between these?
I also thought about the boots: risport rf3 pros or edea chorus? am i over- or under booting? Or should i just stay in risport electra?

(p.s. I know I have to get them fitted in a shop, I just want some insight about what would be the best so I know where to go and tell them what to order.)

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I need some help with choosing new skates and blades.
I'm 15 years old, 1.55m, average weight. Currently i am in the risport electra lights paired with MK flight blades. My spins (scratch, sit, camel and back scratch) are not centered and I cant hold sit spin for very long. I find i also have some problems with jumps like flip. I feel like I just 'pick' too much into the ice and make a big hole, if that makes sense? I can do all single jumps accept axel and now working on lutz.
My main concern are the blades, i think i need an upgrade, i'm thinking about getting john wilson coronation ace or MK pros. can anyone tell me the difference between these?
I also thought about the boots: risport rf3 pros or edea chorus? am i over- or under booting? Or should i just stay in risport electra?

(p.s. I know I have to get them fitted in a shop, I just want some insight about what would be the best so I know where to go and tell them what to order.)
Hi and welcome. the first thing you need is to get out of those flight blades which have a flattened profile with the electras. If you foot seems good in Risport, then the fitter would more than likely move you to RF3Pro if that is best based on your fitting, measurements and tracing; and either traditional style MK Pro or Coronation Ace are good. They're both 7ft rockers and crosscut picks. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

scottie99

Rinkside
I've heard great things about both the Coronation and the MK blades. Some people also recommend the Jackson Legacy, but I have heard both Coro and MK are better options. No personal experience with any of these blades, but my coach but like 6 of her students in the legacy blades so....

faunneverhors

Spectator
Hi and welcome. the first thing you need is to get out of those flight blades which have a flattened profile with the electras. If you foot seems good in Risport, then the fitter would more than likely move you to RF3Pro if that is best based on your fitting, measurements and tracing; and either traditional style MK Pro or Coronation Ace are good. They're both 7ft rockers and crosscut picks. :)

Good luck!
Hi thank you. I went to the shop and they didn’t have my size in rf3 pros or electras. I have to tell them what to order as they said both are good for me.
My preference is RF3pro but I’m wondering if that won’t be too much of an overboot as I’m not going to learn doubles anytime soon (maybe next year but not sure)?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi thank you. I went to the shop and they didn’t have my size in rf3 pros or electras. I have to tell them what to order as they said both are good for me.
My preference is RF3pro but I’m wondering if that won’t be too much of an overboot as I’m not going to learn doubles anytime soon (maybe next year but not sure)?
Based on what you have told us in this thread, go with the RF3 Pros that I suggested. I won't steer you wrong. Electra is going to be too soft if not now, then very soon.
Good luck!