Need help with getting first boots. | Golden Skate

Need help with getting first boots.

yitchunwai

Spectator
Hi everyone,
this is a multilayered questions so sorry!

I am from Singapore and my nearest fitter would be at Kuala Lumpur, however, I have already checked with them and they only have stocks for EDEA. Is there another reputable fitter near Singapore?

I am currently learning swizzles and crossovers in rentals.
Here are my stats for my foot in the google drive link : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1--pYZSsGgyZSuP4O9fkhDcKz4GJklMb0?usp=sharing
I am 60kg and not growing anymore. I have a high arch, wide foot and orient foot shaped, and based on my research, Risport RF3 Pro would be the best fit for me (correct me if I am wrong).

I have emailed Risport and they recommended 265E but skaterzedge NZ virtual fitter recommended me 265C.
This poses a problem as firstly the length of my shorter foot is 256mm while my bigger foot is 258mm. Thus, i believe 260 would give a snug fit, with thin socks.
For width wise, I have no idea how to calculate that.
Thus, I need help with choosing either size 260 or 265 and the width of RF3 Pro.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Last edited:

silverlily1

On the Ice
Hi everyone,

I am from Singapore and my nearest fitter would be at Kuala Lumpur, however, I have already checked with them and they only have stocks for EDEA. Is there another reputable fitter near Singapore?

Here are my stats for my foot in the google drive link : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1--pYZSsGgyZSuP4O9fkhDcKz4GJklMb0?usp=sharing
I am 60kg and not growing anymore. I have a high arch, wide foot and orient foot shaped, and based on my research, Risport RF3 Pro would be the best fit for me (correct me if I am wrong).

I have emailed Risport and they recommended 265E but skaterzedge NZ virtual fitter recommended me 265C.
This poses a problem as firstly the length of my shorter foot is 256mm while my bigger foot is 258mm. Thus, i believe 260 would give a snug fit, with thin socks.
Thus, I need help with choosing either size 260 or 265 and the width of RF3 Pro.

I can say that Risport's booklet that comes in the box with the skates has a graphic showing that adding 5 mm is appropriate. But the width of your foot may affect that, and I can't help you there.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
With your shape and foot description above, I'd put you in Jackson boots.

SkateSports in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia (near Kuala Lumpur). They fit and sell Risport, Jackson, Edea IIRC.

TELEPHONE:

You could also try Polar Bear Sports in Malaysia. (They carry Jackson)

You need an in person fitting that the tech knows what they are doing with figure skates and fitting as well as blades and sharpening them correctly for figure skating.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi everyone,

I can say that Risport's booklet that comes in the box with the skates has a graphic showing that adding 5 mm is appropriate. But the width of your foot may affect that, and I can't help you there.
You need a fitter who can measure your whole foot and ankle and can see your foot shape, but as for just length, the Risport in 265 would be theoretically correct, as the company says in their booklet. (Depending also on how accurate your length measuring was.) I have my feet measured each time I buy new boots and the last time my feet measured 223 and 225 mm. I bought Risports in the 230 length. Wearing tights, as I always do, the fit is comfortably snug. But do get a professional eye to fit your whole foot, rather than concentrating just on the length.

yitchunwai

Spectator

SkateSports in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia (near Kuala Lumpur). They fit and sell Risport, Jackson, Edea IIRC.

TELEPHONE:

You could also try Polar Bear Sports in Malaysia. (They carry Jackson)

You need an in person fitting that the tech knows what they are doing with figure skates and fitting as well as blades and sharpening them correctly for figure skating.
Good luck!
Hi,
Thanks for the recommendations!

May go for Jacksons Debut or Premier!
However, would premier would be overbooting?
I would not like to visit KL anytime soon after buying my boots hence the consideration of premier.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi,
Thanks for the recommendations!

May go for Jacksons Debut or Premier!
However, would premier would be overbooting?
I would not like to visit KL anytime soon after buying my boots hence the consideration of premier.
Either of those or Synergy Elite. You can also try Risport RF3 Pro.
Pair any of the boots you choose with traditional version of MK Professional or John Wilson Coronation Ace blades.

Good luck!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have a high arch, wide foot and orient foot shaped,

OP: I have a medium arch (now collapsed, but restored via corrective footbed), medium width ball with narrow heel, and also orient-shaped foot (not commonly mentioned here). I wear Jacksons; the stock men's 8W fits well for me, if the toebox is modified. If you go with Jacksons, I have a tip for you to consider and discuss with your fitter.

The orient foot ideally requires an asymmetric squarish toebox; e.g., see the Altra Solstice gym shoe. As far as I know, there is no figure skating boot with this shape. The Jacksons have a symmetric rounded toebox. An advantage of the heat-moldable Jackson models is that the uppers are constructed with an intermediate thermoplastic layer. This allows a fair degree of heat molding; and the shape remains stable after heat molding.

My fitter used a multi-stage heat molding process that worked well for me. The initial heat molding was the usual one: bake the boots in an oven, remove, insert your feet, lace up and shape, and cool down. The other stages locally reshaped the toebox to accommodate the toes better. The toebox is locally heated with a heat gun or hair dryer. A punch (also heated) is inserted into the toebox to re-shape it. Depending on the degree of re-shaping needed, two or three rounds of local heating and punching may be needed.