Help Ichat graduate from college by learning some Korean! | Golden Skate

Help Ichat graduate from college by learning some Korean!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Hello lovely GSers, I come to you asking for help. One of my required classes for graduation is called "Teaching Korean as a Foreign Language", and the course requires you to either write a thesis about the theories or actually teach Korean to non-speakers and do a presentation on it. Well, I desperately don't want to write a thesis on educational theory, and the only foreigner I know in person speaks fluent Korean. So I'm here looking for my saviors on the best international platform I know.

All you have to do, if you decide to help me with this, is be taught basic Korean by yours truly. We'll start from Hangeul and the phonetics, and then some light grammar, and we'll wrap up with some real-life usage. Nothing difficult.

Specific details on how to actually carry out the lessons aren't set in stone yet, I'm thinking of using both Zoom and chat messages but nothing's certain. The presentations are to be done in December so we can take it slow though. Oh, and if you want monetary compensation for your time I can do that(albeit not much, sorry for being a poor college student).

So in short, please help a poor girl graduate by donating a bit of your time learning simple Korean. I'll be forever grateful. :bow:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can we learn how to say: "the junior men are a mess"?

I am afraid, because the only American who I actually know, in person, who learned Korean told me Korean is a difficult language, and he was married to a Korean:eek2:

But I can try. I'm retired, my time is free. ;)

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
I've been meaning to learn to read Hangul for some time now and then I saw this post - what a perfect timing 😄

Happy to help - I'm located in the eastern side of Australia so time difference shouldn't be too much. How many hours per week are you planning the lesson for?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Can we learn how to say: "the junior men are a mess"?

I am afraid, because the only American who I actually know, in person, who learned Korean told me Korean is a difficult language, and he was married to a Korean:eek2:

But I can try. I'm retired, my time is free. ;)
To be honest Korean isn't the most friendly language for an English speaker, but I'm sure you'll be able to write and say "the junior men are a mess" after a few lessons!
I've been meaning to learn to read Hangul for some time now and then I saw this post - what a perfect timing 😄

Happy to help - I'm located in the eastern side of Australia so time difference shouldn't be too much. How many hours per week are you planning the lesson for?
It depends on your availability mostly, and I'm thinking of 2 hours a week for now. Could change later.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
It depends on your availability mostly, and I'm thinking of 2 hours a week for now. Could change later.

2 hours a week sounds doable. And will the lessons be a group lesson or a private one-to-one lesson?
I'm cool either way, excited to start learning!

It will be interesting as Korean will be my 4th language.... I'm a native Indonesian speaker who speaks English (obviously) and have been learning Japanese for several years, and now adding Korean to the mix :biggrin:

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm interested in your project! I am a native English speaker who knows an intermediate level of Japanese (JLPT N4 certified) as well as basic Spanish. I have also attempted to learn Mandarin Chinese and French, but my knowledge of those languages isn't anywhere near a basic level. 😅

Korean has always seemed rather intimidating to me, but I've heard it has some linguistic similarities to Japanese, so I'm actually curious to see how easy it would be for me to learn. In short, I'd like to see how my perception of learning Korean compares to the experience of learning Korean.

I have lots of time on my hands, but I hope my timezone (Pacific Standard Time) isn't too difficult for you to schedule around.

Also, would I be able to write a simple fan letter to Junhwan Cha at the end of your lessons? (Yes, I'm aware he speaks English well, but it would still be a nice thing to do, right?) 😁

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm interested in your project! I am a native English speaker who knows an intermediate level of Japanese (JLPT N4 certified) as well as basic Spanish. I have also attempted to learn Mandarin Chinese and French, but my knowledge of those languages isn't anywhere near a basic level. 😅

Korean has always seemed rather intimidating to me, but I've heard it has some linguistic similarities to Japanese, so I'm actually curious to see how easy it would be for me to learn. In short, I'd like to see how my perception of learning Korean compares to the experience of learning Korean.

I have lots of time on my hands, but I hope my timezone (Pacific Standard Time) isn't too difficult for you to schedule around.

Also, would I be able to write a simple fan letter to Junhwan Cha at the end of your lessons? (Yes, I'm aware he speaks English well, but it would still be a nice thing to do, right?) 😁
Korean does share some syntactical similarities with Japanese, so if you have a grasp on Japanese it'll definitely help. PST... we'll work through it, I'm a night owl anyway. And yes, you'll be able to write to my darling in his own language!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
If you're still looking for people, or could do with a backup, I'd be interested :D
Languages I know to varying levels: French, Chinese, Japanese, Russian (skating is one of the common themes...)
I meet Koreans quite frequently where I live and through work, it would be nice to know some basics.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
If you're still looking for people, or could do with a backup, I'd be interested :D
Languages I know to varying levels: French, Chinese, Japanese, Russian (skating is one of the common themes...)
I meet Koreans quite frequently where I live and through work, it would be nice to know some basics.
Let's have you as the last participant! 🥳

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Wait, can I please join?! @Ichatdelune

I learned how to write Korean at a workshop last year and I’d really like to actually learn the language (we only learned how to write letters, but we were only able to write our names since we didn’t know any words)

Is there any chance that you could take 6?

streams4dreams

On the Ice
Much appreciated and super excited for the opportunity! I've been watching Korean dramas for the past 7 years, but only yesterday made bibimbap for the first time. Turns out it was a herald of even better things to come :)

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Much appreciated and super excited for the opportunity! I've been watching Korean dramas for the past 7 years, but only yesterday made bibimbap for the first time. Turns out it was a herald of even better things to come :)
Sounds like a very delicious herald of things to come! I love bibimbap, but haven't made it myself because I don't have one of those hot stone bowls to eat it from...

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Sounds like a very delicious herald of things to come! I love bibimbap, but haven't made it myself because I don't have one of those hot stone bowls to eat it from...
You don't need a hot bowl to have bibimbap, you just need cooked rice, soy sauce, and the toppings of your choosing. I count the times I ate bibimbap out of a hot bowl on my hands

streams4dreams

On the Ice
You don't need a hot bowl to have bibimbap, you just need cooked rice, soy sauce, and the toppings of your choosing. I count the times I ate bibimbap out of a hot bowl on my hands
We had it out of standard deep plates, so it's good to hear it's not a total sacrilege! :)