Ice Dance OGM Contenders 2018 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance OGM Contenders 2018

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
But don't you get it, Snow? The judges are only experts when they award the right team. Otherwise it's unfair, unacceptable, whatever they want to call it.

Some people don't seem to understand what marks consist of, they point at the 'unacceptable posture' like it's their biggest flaw. Good for them then, since the points go from skating skills, transitions, interpretation, timing etc. Not to mention actually not being mainstream and doing things their own way. Some people may not like the style, and I can see why to be honest, but they deserve the credit for being a strong and capable team, which is not given them on this site very often :confused2:

The posture is a problem! It affects pcs and goe! Great pcs now is 9.75 and 10! 8.75 and 9 is now not as good as it might have Been in the past! And posture may mean only +1 And not +3! B/s could be frontrunner for gold but can't be because of posture and ignoring current IJS trends in dance!

Then others' teams PCS are just as bad, apart from Papadakis/Cizeron and Virtue/Moir. And their average PCS score from the last Worlds were higher than 9.25 actually, not 8.75 to 9.0.

And you CLEARLY have no idea how GOE is awarded if you think that the posture should decrease it by 1 point, let alone 2. Read the rules, educate yourself. http://static.isu.org/media/527141/id-handbook-for-referees-and-judges-2017-18.pdf (Pages 17 to 19)

But the posture is a problem! People expressed great love of many aspects of b/s but when she tries to gain speed and bends severely at the waste and looks like a speed skater all hope is destroyed!

The dramatics! :laugh: You bring more drama than their dances :biggrin:

slider11

Medalist
V/M are probably going to have a killer SD, P/C are probably going to have a killer FD. Key to gold lies with whether P/C can find the right Latin program for the SD or whether V/M can find the right program for the FD.

Very insightful! I think this is spot on! However, I am not handing the OGM to either. Ice is slippery and the physical demands of even ice dancing make the outcome uncertain. One of the dark horses could have two skates of their lives and claim the gold, likely assisted by injury/errors from the top 2.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Could, would, should..
Experts, right. The judges aren't experts, and they are giving them 9s in components because she's awful and unacceptable and because she's from Russia and Russian skaters are always overscored, I get it. There's simply no more reasons for them to score well. Why do I even bother :confused2:

But don't you get it, Snow? The judges are only experts when they award the right team. Otherwise it's unfair, unacceptable, whatever they want to call it.

Some people don't seem to understand what marks consist of, they point at the 'unacceptable posture' like it's their biggest flaw. Good for them then, since the points go from skating skills, transitions, interpretation, timing etc. Not to mention actually not being mainstream and doing things their own way. Some people may not like the style, and I can see why to be honest, but they deserve the credit for being a strong and capable team, which is not given them on this site very often :confused2:

Then others' teams PCS are just as bad, apart from Papadakis/Cizeron and Virtue/Moir. And their average PCS score from the last Worlds were higher than 9.25 actually, not 8.75 to 9.0.

And you CLEARLY have no idea how GOE is awarded if you think that the posture should decrease it by 1 point, let alone 2. Read the rules, educate yourself. http://static.isu.org/media/527141/id-handbook-for-referees-and-judges-2017-18.pdf (Pages 17 to 19)

The dramatics! :laugh: You bring more drama than their dances :biggrin:

I have read the rules a lot to find out why Russian ice dance has completely collapsed and been destroyed and why they can no longer win worlds and Olympics like they always used to do! It goes down to words like clean! What's clean? Is bending at the waste clean?!? The rules are Written but everything has so many weasel words!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Very insightful! I think this is spot on! However, I am not handing the OGM to either. Ice is slippery and the physical demands of even ice dancing make the outcome uncertain. One of the dark horses could have two skates of their lives and claim the gold, likely assisted by injury/errors from the top 2.

I'd be willing to bet quite a lot of money that this doesn't happen, unless both P/C and V/M are hurt. Especially V/M - if they are healthy (or even healthish, since they won in 2010 when Tessa was injured), P/C are the only ones I can imagine beating them. Since 2009-10 (six seasons), they have lost to exactly one team: D/W, who we all know aren't competing next year. They have lost segments to teams other than D/W 3 times. The CD to D/S in Vancouver, the FD to C/B at Skate Canada this past year, and the FD at Worlds to P/C. The C/D isn't done anymore and D/S are long retired, and I've already said that P/C could beat them, so that just leaves the FD to C/B by 0.2 points. And keep in mind, that was their first GP after two seasons off. So yeah, I really don't so them losing to any of the other teams, even with "two skates of their lives".

And while I think another team beating P/C is more likely than beating V/M, it's still pretty unlikely imo. In the past 3 seasons, they've lost five competitions: 3 to V/M this past year, the 2014 GPF, where they were third to W/P and C/B, and the 2015 WTT to W/P. And as much as I like W/P, it's clear P/C has moved past them since then (they've passed C/B too obviously). Now, they've lost more segments to non-V/M teams, but they also have the WR FD and seem to pull that out at the big events well.

Honestly, I think a big surprise that would be possible would be silver going to a different team, but gold... I just don't see it.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I have read the rules a lot to find out why Russian ice dance has completely collapsed and been destroyed and why they can no longer win worlds and Olympics like they always used to do! It goes down to words like clean! What's clean? Is bending at the waste clean?!? The rules are Written but everything has so many weasel words!

Russian ID went down because of two reasons, in my opinion:
1. Not trendy.
2. Russian coaches who work in Russia are step behind their colleagues in terms of dance construction.

And Bobrova's 'unacceptable' posture have nothing to do with that. So, as long as they good with everything else, I can totally see them clinging to that podium in certain circumstances. I only fear that Poklitaru's choreo will not tranfser well on the ice or will be too experimental.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh please please please, it would be a dream come true to have WeaPo on the Olympic podium. :luv17: I think placing 4th at 2017's worlds and winning the free dance at WTT is a step in the right direction. :)

I would also really like to see them split the ice dance portion of the team event with V/M. :yes:
I agree I would like to see Weapo get an olympic medal individually and as a team or at least the team but life isn't fair. Pairs is early one so they may use two teams and you have to world medallists in ladies so one could see the logic een though Weapo are 4th at worlds - this team is so unlucky barely missing the olympics in Vancouvver, barely losing world gold in 2014 then barely losing bronze last year. A couple years doing so well on the Grand Prix then not so well at worlds. I am not so sure someone had a typo earlier on when they suggested other teams had a chance at silver in dance other than V and M and P and C. I think by most it seems clear those two teams are duking it out for Gold and Silver. I would love to see weapo earn a bronze at the Olympics individually but I really doubt it if V and M are on the podium. You have three very strong American teams all capable of winning bronze and I think we all know they will get it they all are capable as we saw at worlds beating each other. Also,I expect a final kick from B and S and C and L. Darkhorse because they are so innovative Gilles and Piper. The key will be for a team to do a truly revolutionary program like Bolerio, Missing, or the magic of say usova and zhulin or Klimova and Ponomarenko, Riverdance?

Mattieu

Medalist
I think there might be a ID team that has a breakout season this season and takes everyone by surprise to secure the bronze.
It would be seriously cool! P/C came from nowhere, so why not someone else?

Barb

Record Breaker
I think there might be a ID team that has a breakout season this season and takes everyone by surprise to secure the bronze.
It would be seriously cool! P/C came from nowhere, so why not someone else?

or gold/silver ;), P/C were from 15 to 1

so it was okay when it was davis and white, and v/m on the top two steps, training with Marina, with the shibs not far behind... but now, it's different?...

I think you are putting words in Rossig's mouth. Rossig never said anything remotely like "it was OK when it was Davis and White and v/m on the top two steps, with the shibs not far behind." In fact, Rossig said the opposite, that it is not good when all the top teams come from the same camp.

Mattieu

Medalist
or gold/silver ;), P/C were from 15 to 1

Yea, why not, heck that would be amazing! :points::bow::hap57:

Can you just imagine V/M and P/C on the podium looking up to a team they never saw coming?
The level A biatch faces would be awesome!

MelDee

Final Flight

Can you just imagine V/M and P/C on the podium looking up to a team they never saw coming?

Lol is this still an ice dance discussion thread? :laugh2: Though I gotta admit that it would shatter the stereotype of dance being predictable.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russian ID went down because of two reasons, in my opinion:
1. Not trendy.
2. Russian coaches who work in Russia are step behind their colleagues in terms of dance construction.

And Bobrova's 'unacceptable' posture have nothing to do with that. So, as long as they good with everything else, I can totally see them clinging to that podium in certain circumstances. I only fear that Poklitaru's choreo will not tranfser well on the ice or will be too experimental.

I know reasons one and two and it's why I keep saying they must copy what is trendy! They must copy what does work! Whatever zueva spiliband dubreil does works and Zhulin kustarova z/z must copy all they do and the form and style and look of v/m p/c shibutanis! It is time to just do what the judges give wins to! It's worked in the past. B/s are wasting their whole Olympic season hiring poklitaru! They should go right to zueva or dubreil!

Mattieu

Medalist
Hubbell and Donohue could just do it. They have the goods. :popcorn:

No, that wouldn't be as surprising as someone in the P/C type position, as they already have a world bronze small medal.
I'm hoping for a bigger upset than H/D!

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Hubbell and Donohue could just do it. They have the goods. :popcorn:

I want them to win nationals :cool: I won't even try to hide it ^^

it wouldn't be a surprise at all if they got bronze. At worlds if you look at the scores without the falls and missteps, the bronze was between them and Chock/Bates, but I think H/D would have gotten it because their Circular step sequence got level 4 and it was the only team who managed to do so on the night.
There is a big probability to see the 3 american teams at GPF again. And this is where 6 places isn't enough, I would like 8 spots for GPF (1 French, 2 Canadians, 3 Americans, 1 Italian and 1 Russian).
The top 3 US teams have, in my opinion, great music choices for the FD and very different from one another.

I am just waiting for V/M, P/C and Weapo music choices... weirdly enough, Weapo's choice might be more crucial for them than the 2 other teams. Their 2014's tango program was magical.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
No, that wouldn't be as surprising as someone in the P/C type position, as they already have a world bronze small medal.
I'm hoping for a bigger upset than H/D!

Mini-upset for the Olys : Step/Bukin in the top 5 ;) and a medal at worlds. I'm waiting for them to shine big time !

sarama

Medalist

A part of me would like that to happen just for the entertainment value, but I think a huge leap in standing isn't going to happen during the Olympic season against multiple times world champions. But for that bronze we could have surprises

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
A part of me would like that to happen just for the entertainment value, but I think a huge leap in standing isn't going to happen during the Olympic season against multiple times world champions. But for that bronze we could have surprises

If you count P/C and V/M out for bronze you have Shibs, Weapo, Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue, Bobrova/Soloviev and Cappellini/Lanotte already. Reality : this is from the 1st to the 8th place... :slink:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Mini-upset for the Olys : Step/Bukin in the top 5 ;) and a medal at worlds. I'm waiting for them to shine big time !

It could just happen. Zhulin just finalized the SD for B/S, S/K's was done I believe before they went on vacation. B/S still haven't finished their FD. What? The Shibs have already shown theirs. V/M look to be on fire. Why did B/S go to team trophy?
They got some money but they lost time and performed poorly. Bobrova has been having a mini mental breakdown regarding SD music for at least two months, its finally been resolved. She seems a bit tense lately in her instagram posts, I call this the Katsalapov effect. Deputat hinted slyly on her instagram what she could do to him, haha. The Shibs just ignored him and went about working often outside of their rink. I really hope that things are going smoother than they appear. Ridiculous. S/B could actually just leap frog them both due to the absence of DRAMA. :hslap: Please Loboda and Drozd, bring it. And yes Elena, please pretty please get yourself a new partner. Gracias.