Improvement!!! (Video) | Golden Skate

Improvement!!! (Video)

EmilySkates

Spectator
I am SO excited to show this...I have been working really hard on my newly learned scratch spin (started them a few weeks ago) and I am SO EXCITED how they are coming along. Some of you may have read my last post, about getting upset with myself on the ice, and I've taken a lot of the advice given to heart and I think it is making me a better skater. So, I know my new scratch spins aren't perfect, but I thought I'd share the video anyways :) Feel free to give me some advice.
One thing you will notice is I don't really check the spins/exit out of them...I get really dizzy, and I feel slightly nauseous and I'm trying to work through that....anyone have any tips for that? In ballet, we "spot" so that we don't get dizzy, so I'm not used to spinning and being dizzy LOL.
Well, enjoy :)
http://tinypic.com/r/25ukwtt/7

mskater93

Record Breaker
You are probably TRYING to spot which is what is making you dizzy. Look at three points for 3 seconds each to re-triangulate yourself.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Nice improvement! I too danced ballet first and then switched to skating and hard difficulty unlearning the spot in my spins. Don't "look" at anything as you spin, don't close your eyes per se, that could be dangeruous and scary but just let the blur go by. When you exit look directly at a point, could be a architectural feature, a advertsiement, a poster whatever is directly in front of your and hold your gaze on it as you check out. Good luck and keep up the good work.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Nice improvement :D Excitement over small improvements is always good and keeps you from getting frustrated, and you've made quite a big improvement so excitement is the perfect reaction. The dizzy thing will go away as you get used to it and start to spin faster. Don't try to focus on anything as that's what makes you dizzy in the first place. Spotting will slow you down and as such make you dizzier. To exit pull up and make sure you have a strong free leg, that will help stabilize you. Also try to keep your head up as you exit, that should help with the check out.

Scout

Final Flight
Great job! :) Thanks for sharing the video, Emily. It's so nice to see that you've been able to work past your frustrations and improve so much.