Injury and Skates | Golden Skate

Injury and Skates

orianna

Rinkside
I posted this on the reddit figureskating subreddit but wanted a second opinion.

1. Skates: Hello, I am a teen skater and I have had my skates for almost a year. I had them since I was in basic 2 but now I am in private lessons. The skates I have are the jackson artiste and I will be starting the walts jump and training for the prepreliminary skating skills test once I get my 3 turns better. Anyways I was thinking about getting the freestyles and I was wondering are these good for my current level.

2. Injury: I have an injury on my ankle and I think it because of the loose skates. Anyways I haven't skates in awhile and I was wondering what can I do so I dont forget my skills and progress because I am worried I forget stuff.

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
Have you asked your coach what they suggest? I ask that because they know you and your skating best! It's equally important to get professionally fitted in person if you can!

Jackson says that Freestyles are appropriate for skaters that are more than 80 lbs. to take them through the Learn to Skate Free Skate levels. However, everyone is different so it's best to ask your coach and skate tech what they think!

As for your injury. Have you been to an orthopedist? Were you prescribed physical therapy?

orianna

Rinkside
Yes I have been prescribed physical therapy and will be starting soon its just the hospital has no place right now. And yes I talked to my coach about the skates because she saw that they breaking down as I showed her. She said to go to the skate tech and see which skate is best.

Thank you I watch all your videos

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I posted this on the reddit figureskating subreddit but wanted a second opinion.

1. Skates: Hello, I am a teen skater and I have had my skates for almost a year. I had them since I was in basic 2 but now I am in private lessons. The skates I have are the jackson artiste and I will be starting the walts jump and training for the prepreliminary skating skills test once I get my 3 turns better. Anyways I was thinking about getting the freestyles and I was wondering are these good for my current level.

2. Injury: I have an injury on my ankle and I think it because of the loose skates. Anyways I haven't skates in awhile and I was wondering what can I do so I dont forget my skills and progress because I am worried I forget stuff.
Hello and welcome! Please make sure you wear a brace for the ankle in your skate and off ice (the type that slides over your foot and stays snug), this is coming from a skater who has multiple lingering ankle issues from competitive career in skating.

Second: I'm going to say the opposite here and don't depend on coach opinion of what skates to get b/c many of them don't have the experience to know what they are talking about and what you really need. Please see a certified professional figure skate fitter and get measured and traced by them and go by what is best for your foot and your level.

Depending on foot shape, arch height (or lack thereof), weight/height some of us can make suggestions to go into fitter with. Can also make fitter suggestions based on area you are in.

Good luck! :)

orianna

Rinkside
Hello and welcome! Please make sure you wear a brace for the ankle in your skate and off ice (the type that slides over your foot and stays snug), this is coming from a skater who has multiple lingering ankle issues from competitive career in skating.

Second: I'm going to say the opposite here and don't depend on coach opinion of what skates to get b/c many of them don't have the experience to know what they are talking about and what you really need. Please see a certified professional figure skate fitter and get measured and traced by them and go by what is best for your foot and your level.

Depending on foot shape, arch height (or lack thereof), weight/height some of us can make suggestions to go into fitter with. Can also make fitter suggestions based on area you are in.

Good luck! :)
Hello, and thank for the help. My coach said to go to a fitter to see which skates are good. I live in the nj area and I am 5'5 about 160 pounds

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, and thank for the help. My coach said to go to a fitter to see which skates are good. I live in the nj area and I am 5'5 about 160 pounds
OK and what type of foot do you have? I can suggest a good fitter in that area if you would like.