Interview With Brian Orser | Golden Skate

Interview With Brian Orser

Alba

Record Breaker
This is interesting though. :think:

My first student was a fifteen year old junior skater from Korea. Her name was Yuna Kim. Of course she was talented, but unfortunately she lacked passion and joy for skating.

I never noticed that, tbh.

zamboni step

Final Flight
My first student was a fifteen year old junior skater from Korea. Her name was Yuna Kim. Of course she was talented, but unfortunately she lacked passion and joy for skating.

:jaw: Oh boy......Mr. Orser has really put his foot in his mouth now....

zamboni step

Final Flight
Didn't expect that, at all, from Orser. Very russian, not at all Canadian. :laugh:

Perhaps this should be discussed in the "Russian Style" thread. :laugh: It does come across as quite bitter, and he wasn't looking so hot in the public's eye during the split with Kim in the first place.

Alba

Record Breaker
Perhaps this should be discussed in the "Russian Style" thread. :laugh: It does come across as quite bitter, and he wasn't looking so hot in the public's eye during the split with Kim in the first place.

:yes: :biggrin:

I know it wasn't a good split but it happened three years ago, right?

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
I'm sure he wants it to seem like a way of selling his coaching as he was the one who managed to bring her passion on the ice or something, but, boy, that sounds horrible!

Alba

Record Breaker
The interesting thing is that his answer came out of the blu. I mean the question made to him was not even about Kim.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm sure he wants it to seem like a way of selling his coaching as he was the one who managed to bring her passion on the ice or something, but, boy, that sounds horrible!
Maybe he was talking about Yuna at Sochi? I mean when I watched the ladies event, I did have the feeling she was not as much enthusatic as she was.

It looks like he was ranting, or maybe he still wished that had only Yuna stay with him to train that 3A.

But anyways, maybe he just didn't care anymore. :sarcasm: I mean, when he stated that his 3 favorite skaters are his students, we all know he was being politic.

Alba

Record Breaker
Maybe he was talking about Yuna at Sochi? I mean when I watched the ladies event, I did have the feeling she was not as much enthusatic as she was.

I don't think so. He was talking about the past, when she was his student, and in anycase he can't speak for the Yuna in Sochi that he doesn't know.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't see the need to dramatize or "Russaianize" Orser's comment. It was said in past tense, about a fifteen year old Yuna when he started coaching her, to emphasize the importance of motivation for marketing his app.

Somehow, in any interview from which a number of insights can be gained, a sentence with controversy potential is always focused on to actualize that potential. :confused:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't think so. He was talking about the past, when she was his student, and in anycase he can't speak for the Yuna in Sochi that he doesn't know.
If anything, even though I am not with Orser's side, I do have the feeling that Yuna seems like the person who keeps it all inside, and it's difficult to tell if she is really interested in the stuff before her eyes. Not that it's a bad thing, people are different after all.

A little passive when it comes to express her emotions I think. I have a friend like that, too. She does have strong emotions but she rarely shows that she likes or hates anything.

I don't know if Orser had the same problem of understanding Yuna. Obviously he had, or else they wouldn't have parted in such way.

After all they are from different culture and background. Yuna seems to be the type who rarely express herself, so Orser might mistake her expression as "lack of enthusiasm"? I am not sure but this might be the case.

Alba

Record Breaker
If anything, even though I am not with Orser's side, I do have the feeling that Yuna seems like the person who keeps it all inside, and it's difficult to tell if she is really interested in the stuff before her eyes. Not that it's a bad thing, people are different after all.

A little passive when it comes to express her emotions I think. I have a friend like that, too. She does have strong emotions but she rarely shows that she likes or hates anything.

I don't know if Orser had the same problem of understanding Yuna. Obviously he had, or else they wouldn't have parted in such way.

After all they are from different culture and background. Yuna seems to be the type who rarely express herself, so Orser might mistake her expression as "lack of enthusiasm"? I am not sure but this might be the case.

I'm not against Orser, or contradicting him. I don't know if he is right or wrong and in anycase he knows her far better than I or many other here do. Just saying that I was surprised, that's it.

I don't see the need to dramatize or "Russaianize" Orser's comment.

If you are referring to my comment it was a joke and not an offense. It means being very direct and blunt sometimes.
I actually like that in people.

starlight97

Final Flight
Good that others stumbled across this statement about Yuna as well!

I remeber him being a bit unprofessional right after the split as well, where he twisted some 'facts' (you'll never really know what the real facts are exept if you're him, Yuna, or her mum..) and talked a bit condescending about a
"little girl, who's mother makes the decisions for her" eventhough she was 19 then.
After that she posted smth like "Stop lying Brian, I make my own decisions and mine was to part ways with you, do you really think I was all happy these past years??!" but quickly deleted it again.
So in no way a friendly split and,contrary to her, he is still bothered by it as it appears :D

Yes she seemy very introverted. But what do you expect??
A whole nation making you their "god" if you deliver and this very same nation sending you death threads if you make a mistake. A mother who never let you meet up with friends, gave up her job to support your career, missed her other daughter's graduation for one of your competitions. Always being expected to be perfect because you're freaking Queen Yuna because others named you this.....
You have to 'turn off' your emotions a bit to remain sane if you're to live like this for years!

I remember her crying in an interview right after the FS in Sochi and, when asked why, she just repeated like ten times
" I'm just so relieved that it's over...that it's all over now, I've been waiting for this moment for years"
So yeah :no:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm not against Orser, or contradicting him. I don't know if he is right or wrong and in anycase he knows her far better than I or many other here do. Just saying that I was surprised, that's it.
I am surprised just as you. I didn't think Orser is still bothered by that split until now. But well, aftter all she was his first student. Maybe he is still bothered a bit.

Anyways we shouldn't take all these interview too seriously. As we know written interviews are often being edited, and the interviewers might have asked the interviewees more than they reported.

The thing is, the split happened almost 4 years ago, and both of them are successful even after that split, so I think there is no reason for being sour-graped.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
What a classy gelteman he is, still bitter over a young girl because of something that happened 4 years ago :rolleye:

I believe in Yuna for whatever decision she ever made in her life, because till now she's always right, that including Orser breakup

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Context, all. Orser refers to Yuna as a 15-year-old. It wasn't any big state secret that she didn't enjoy competing. She's been quoted many times that she pursued skating because people saw her talent but that she didn't necessarily love skating.

If I can dig up some of those articles, I'll post them here.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I don't know why people are jumping all over this statement, which is one sentence in his interview. Orser and Wilson both have stated multiple times that Kim was not a happy skater when they first met her. I don't think she ever was a happy skater, tbh.

Orser has also said tha Hanyu was talented, but sloppy when he first came to him. He's also said that one of his current female students isn't the most joyful skater, and that he's working to correct that with her. Do those count as being bitter too?

God forbid Orser ever bring up Kim again. Her uber fans already want to write off him out of her skating career. :rolleye:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Context, all. Orser refers to Yuna as a 15-year-old. It wasn't any big state secret that she didn't enjoy competing. She's been quoted many times that she pursued skating because people saw her talent but that she didn't necessarily love skating.
If I can dig up some of those articles, I'll post them here.
Thank you for pointing that out. I also have he feeling the context he was talking about was not about that split.