Irina Slutskaya will win Olympic Gold | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Irina Slutskaya will win Olympic Gold

R.D.

Record Breaker
Anyway, I think the fact that none of us could accurately predict who will win Worlds after the that season's GPF shows that none of us can really predict who will win Torino...especially right after the previous season's Worlds.

Well, Slutskaya dominated the GP and GPF this season, and was a heavy favorite going into '05 Worlds. She ended up winning.

I really hope the Olympics aren't THIS predictable. In fact, that's what I love about them...the uncertainty. Now, it seems like Slutskaya would be a shoo-in for Gold, but anything can happen in a year. If it's true that Irina was having problems with the altitude, that certainly doesn't bode well for her. She'd need to get there early and get adjusted to it.

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
VIETgrlTerifa said:
I think Nina Bates is going to win. She's the most amazing artistic and technical skater ever.

:rofl: Yes, her flying camel toe-single Lutz combination is so unusual and spectacular that no other ladiezzzz skater has mastered it, and the ISU are still working out the base score for that combo. :biggrin:

My vote would go to Idora Hegel -- she always gets +GOE for her Level 3 mascara and eyeshadow, and stiff kneed jump landings are currently in vogue! :rock: :clap:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
If Kirk can do really well at '06 Nats, she'll be on the Olympic team.

I'm not sure if Kirk is guaranteed a spot, even if she skates well. That third spot will also be partially decided by the results the skaters get internationally next season, and if any of the younger skaters get better marks and placements than Kirk internationally, then Jenny definitely won't make the team if it's a close call. And we all know that Kimmie, Katy, Alyssia, and Bebe could all skate well.

Regarding Nik vs. Kirk...I think if both Kirk and Nikodinov skate well, the judges would give it to Angela over Jenny. As inconsistent as Nikodinov has been, she has never done as badly as Kirk has done at Worlds. Heck, Nikodinov actually won Skate America last season under the Code.

It looks more and more like health issues will dominate next year's championships. IMHO the only thing that can derail the Irina express is a recurrence of her illness. She has a condition that has no "cure," and it is hard to predict when and whether symptoms will become manifest.

Meanwhile, Plushenko is a big question mark, too.. Who would have imagined one day before Worlds that we would be wondering now whether Evgeni would even be able to compete in Torino.

Timing is everything. Sasha skated a fine 7 triple LP at Worlds. A few days later she was hobbled with a groin injury that left her popping doubles in COI.

Except for the tragic accident on the very day of the start of U.S. Nationals, Angela Nikodinov might hae contended for a berth on the World team. Instead, her season was abruptly ended.

Even such a commonplace occurance as having to skate at the wrong time of month can throw you off. You are not going to skate your best if you are feeling bloated and crampy. (Plus you will snap up the interviewers afterward.) Next week, you're fine and out there giving medal winning performances.

Mathman

Last edited:
I suppose all summer we'll be predicting the Olympics especially in the Ladies division. By the time the GPs roll around, these same posters maybe changing their tunes.

Why not preface a prediction like, 'at this point in time'? This will get a predicter off the hook when the injuries, GP results, Nats, and Euros coming piling in. no one predicted Irina until she won the GPs. Her health was always an issue.

So, we'll have a lot of ifs.

Joe

curious

Final Flight
VIETgrlTerifa said:
Gee, bitter much? Kwan didn't even win and you're still angry with her.

angry with kwan? not at all just telling things people don't like to hear about the kween:biggrin:

S

SkateFan4Life

BronzeisGolden said:
Irina was in terrific form this year, but I also think it is WAY too early to be giving the gold medal to anyone. She certainly is a favorite heading into the Olympic Games, but so is Sasha, Michelle, Carolina, Shizuka, etc. I expect this next season to be very exciting. There are so many question marks: will Irina maintain her form and keep the comback passion ignited? Will Michelle commit herself and adapt successfully to the new system? Will Sasha stand up? Will Shizuka regain her Dortmund form? For me, there are just too many wild cards and uncertainties to name a clear cut favorite for Gold. It will probably be another 16 year old jumping phenom with level 3s and Biellmanns coming out of her ears.

I certainly understand your views, BronzeisGolden, but I believe that Irina will win the Olympic gold medal next year - provided that she is healthy and injury-free, as I wrote in my original post to start this thread. Irina has endured a major roller coaster of emotions, family issues, and health crises during the past three years, yet she continues on. :clap: Although the judges are supposed to be unbiased (what a laugh that is), the fact remains that many judges love Irina's skating and/or they admire her tenacity so much that they award her marks that may be a bit padded. Her artistry, granted, isn't up to the level of some of the other women, but her jumping and spinning ability is outstanding, and she may rack up so many technical points that nobody can catch her.

The 16-year-old you mention might just be Kimmie Meissner; however, IMHO, she isn't ready to win an Olympic gold medal - not yet. Oksana Baiul won the 1994 Olympics as a 16-year-old, but she was the reigning World champion. Tara Lapinski won as a 15-year-old in 1998, but, she, too, was the reigning World champion. Sarah Hughes was not the reigning World champion in 2002, but she was the reigning World bronze medalist, had competed at Worlds every year since 1999, and had won medals at US Nationals during that time frame as well.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Even such a commonplace occurance as having to skate at the wrong time of month can throw you off. You are not going to skate your best if you are feeling bloated and crampy. (Plus you will snap up the interviewers afterward.) Next week, you're fine and out there giving medal winning performances.

Mathman

You were right on. :agree:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
The 16-year-old you mention might just be Kimmie Meissner; however, IMHO, she isn't ready to win an Olympic gold medal - not yet. Oksana Baiul won the 1994 Olympics as a 16-year-old, but she was the reigning World champion. Tara Lapinski won as a 15-year-old in 1998, but, she, too, was the reigning World champion. Sarah Hughes was not the reigning World champion in 2002, but she was the reigning World bronze medalist, had competed at Worlds every year since 1999, and had won medals at US Nationals during that time frame as well.

So does that mean in order to win as a 16 year old at the Olys you have to have some sort of World medal under your belt? That determines if you are ready?

Kimmie seems to just go out and skate... I wouldn't be surprised that if she made the team, that she could be the dark horse...

and now that I've said that the skategods will prove me wrong :laugh:

soogar

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
So does that mean in order to win as a 16 year old at the Olys you have to have some sort of World medal under your belt? That determines if you are ready?

Kimmie seems to just go out and skate... I wouldn't be surprised that if she made the team, that she could be the dark horse...

and now that I've said that the skategods will prove me wrong :laugh:

Kimmie didn't go out and skate at Junior Worlds. I think Emily will be the skater to just go out and skate and she's tough like her sister.

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
A little early for this!! What is there? 11 months to the Olys? Posters are not giving up on their Favorites.

I would rephrase this topic as AT THIS POINT IN TIME how does the Ladies division shape up for the Olympics?

I would reply: At this point in time:

Slutskaya - Favorite to win.
Cohen - Top contender for spoiling favorite's win
Kostner - Looking for an opening to speed ahead
Kwan - Underdog! In Hugh's position at SLC

Dark Horses: Poykio, Rochette, Ando, Suguri, Sebestyen

Oly Debuts: Meissner, Asado, Ketunnen, Korean gal,

Even with this lineup, how easy is it to pick the last group to skate? Not!
Let's watch carefully at the GPs and measure those CoP scores and especially those mentioned in the Oly Debuts list.

Joe

Actually I think Kostner is more in Hugh's position at SLC. In Torino she will be the reigning world bronze medalist who can land 3-3 combinations, hometown girl, a bit awkward but always smiling.........

Eeyora

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
Actually I think Kostner is more in Hugh's position at SLC. In Torino she will be the reigning world bronze medalist who can land 3-3 combinations, hometown girl, a bit awkward but always smiling.........

But Sarah was known for her reliable consistantcy.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kostner is as inconsistent as Sarah was consistent. Furthermore, Sarah was a calm, steady competitor and had some of her best performances at home in the US or next door in Canada. Kostner went to pieces at Europeans in her home country and had her lowest Euros finish ever (7th). Now that she has won a bronze medal at Worlds, expectations will be high for her to win in Torino, and that will hurt her.