Irina Slutskaya will win Olympic Gold | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Irina Slutskaya will win Olympic Gold

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joesitz, MAO ASADA IS NOT AGE-ELIGIBLE TO GO TO TORINO. She will not be making a debut there. She just turned 14 this past September and won't be eligible for Senior ISU championship events until the 2006-2007 season.

I think Irina may have problems at Torino. Torino, while not in as high an altitude as SLC, is still at a much higher altitude than Moscow. Irina did not skate well in the FS at Europeans in Torino, and was seen by people attending the event to be coughing badly every time she came off the ice. She has a chronic illness that can affect the lungs, which is one reason why she fatigues so easily. Yes, Irina will be a favorite, but no way is she a shoo-in.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Well, Irina has a serious health problem and the ice is slippery besides. At 2004 Worlds Arakawa was 1st. This year she was 9th. A lot can happen in a year.

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't see Irina or MK medalling. I think this games will transition the new stars. BTW, I read on FSU that Shizuka is recommitting herself to training. She said that this year she was just going through the motions b/c she wanted to retire after Dortmund. I guess the 9th place really woke her up or TT gave her a good talking to. Either way, there's no pressure on her now so I expect/hope she will make a good Olympic run.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Good to hear. Besides going thru the motions, I think Arakawa was undercut by the psychological pressure of being WC. That pressure is now gone. If Shizuka can recapture her 2004 form and goes to Turino with a Tarasova program, she will be a major force once again.

curious

Final Flight
Irina will be the favorite cause she is the best and fully commited to win. she does not come up with lame excuses like others. she gives her all sick or not,that's why she won worlds :biggrin:

curious said:
Irina will be the favorite cause she is the best and fully commited to win. she does not come up with lame excuses like others. she gives her all sick or not,that's why she won worlds :biggrin:
curious - At this point in time, I believe everyone thinks Irina is the favorite for the Olys. Next year, we'll actually know who wins the Olys.

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
curious said:

And the rest are just going for a trip to Italy? As with Plushenko willing to risk your health does not make you a better athlete it makes you a stupid athlete who cares more about short term goals than long term health. Fans who encourage and reward this type of thinking are IMO more than a little sick themselves.

Which skaters gave lame excuses? Could it be that not all skaters choose to share their personal problems and those of their family's with the world? And finally since you brought it up how do you know that Irina gave her "all" and other skaters did not? Subjective comments from a fan do not equal facts.

Kati

On the Ice
Oly Debuts: Meissner, Asado, Ketunnen, Korean gal,

Elina Kettunen is already an olympian. She represented Finland in 2002.
Kiira Korpi (16 years old now) would be first time at the olumpics, as well as Susanna Pöykiö, if they earn their place. Alisa Drei, too, has been @olys once.

mzheng

Record Breaker
curious said:
:rofl:
Like we don't know the bigest excuse won her how much points from the judges.

Last edited by a moderator:

curious

Final Flight
mzheng said:
:rofl:
Like we don't know the bigest excuse won her how much points from the judges.

whatever. kwan was very lucky to come up in the tonya/nancy era. she had the opportunity to make all the money she now enjoys nothing wrong with that,but that's the reason she doesn't have to go out there and skate with injuries like other skaters do to make a buck is not her fault but is the truth :biggrin:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
curious said:
whatever. kwan was very lucky to come up in the tonya/nancy era. she had the opportunity to make all the money she now enjoys nothing wrong with that,but that's the reason she doesn't have to go out there and skate with injuries like other skaters do to make a buck is not her fault but is the truth :biggrin:

Gee, bitter much? Kwan didn't even win and you're still angry with her.

mzheng

Record Breaker
curious said:
Even without those money, I doubt Michelle would go out skate with injuries.

It would be ultimate ironic to those skaters and their parents when one of the reasons to take up the sports is for the kids to have a healthy body, but only now their bodies were ruined by their own choices in the sport. Michelle is too to let this happen to her. She is wise to listen to her body, she diddn't take any pain killers to push her body through the pains just so as she can practice those 3/3s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lipinskifan19 said:
my dream is for Angela Nikodinov to win. *sigh, that would be just perfect.
ooo ooo ooo!!! That's my dream too!!!! :clap: :rock:

I'd settle for Jenny Kirk though, oh mighty skate gods!

nicole_l

Final Flight
VIETgirl, where'd you find the minipics in your signature? Or did you make them?
(Sorry for going OT)

I think it's way too early to say who's got an excellent chance to win. There's only a few more very strong contenders since the last Olympics. We'll see what happens on the Grand Prix / Nationals.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
nicole_l said:
VIETgirl, where'd you find the minipics in your signature? Or did you make them?
(Sorry for going OT)

My friend made them for me. Thanks for noticing.

Anyway, I think the fact that none of us could accurately predict who will win Worlds after the that season's GPF shows that none of us can really predict who will win Torino...especially right after the previous season's Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
I'd settle for Jenny Kirk though, oh mighty skate gods!

Kirk actually has a much better chance than Nikodinov to do well next season. If Kirk can do really well at '06 Nats, she'll be on the Olympic team.