Is Gracie Gold as good as Yuna Kim or Mao Asada when they were her age? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Gracie Gold as good as Yuna Kim or Mao Asada when they were her age?

figurejennah

On the Ice
so you created this threat to make a statement that Gracie isn't as good Mao/Yuna/Michelle ?
a bit trolling thread there if you ask me

There have been discussions like this all the time. Mao vs. Yuna, Who's the next best skater, who had the best outfit, Lysacek vs. Plushenko, Kwon vs. Lipinski, etc etc.

Are these threads all trolling as well?

figurejennah

On the Ice
Yeah it's not fair to Gracie or any other skater to compare, skaters get better and worse at different ages. Look at Suzuki! Then look at Tara Lipinski.

Besides, she just won her national championship and gets to go to the Olympics. Kind of a low blow to immediately compare her to the greatest of all-time.

Well, press is really comparing her to the greatest of all-time... so I was wondering if she was really up there. Nowdays she's on the list for GOLD medalist contenders.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Seriously, who is Gracie Gold? Has she won a GP event yet? Has she won any international senior event yet? She is younger than Lipnitskaya and hasn't achieved what she has at a tender age of 15. Please give the child some air and allow her to prove herself first. Just sayin...

Franklin99

Medalist
Seriously, who is Gracie Gold? Has she won a GP event yet? Has she won any international senior event yet? She is younger than Lipnitskaya and hasn't achieved what she has at a tender age of 15. Please give the child some air and allow her to prove herself first. Just sayin...

Gracie's 18 and Julia is 15. Gracie never won a GP event, and Julia won 3 or 4 already.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I was so shocked to see her get over 200 in Nationals. Yes, it's Nationals, but I wonder since when it became so common and easy for female skaters to break 200 mark. (I think Yuna was the first female skater ever to break the official 200 mark at the 2009 worlds?) Everyone breaks that 200 mark so easily these days!

This is Yuna's record breaking performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUPli-YWzWw

So, now that Gracie Gold is the rising golden child for the US, is she really that good? Compared to Yuna Kim or Mao Asada when they were 17, or 18, is she at that level?

I was personally shocked when I saw Yuna's 2007 world championship debut SP - tango de roxanne. How old was she... 16?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCAsSGgFWc

And then there was Mao..... I personally LOVED her 2007 world championship LP- personally, her PRETTIEST costume, and love her energy in this program. (Mao also was 16 I think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRXtt3muHGE

I was too young to follow Michelle Kwan's performances.... but I know how terrifically fantastic she is and watched many of her performances. Just to match that 16 years old mark that I initially mentioned, I brought Kwan's performance when she was 16. Kwan's stage presence is just so... marvelous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKmUW8wPB0s

Gracie is now 18, so if you compared her to Yuna, Mao, Kwan when they wre 18... uh...........

I think Gracie Gold is so beautiful. She actually looks like Disney's sleeping beauty's princess... lol. I can see why she is so loved. However, I don't know if she is really as good as all these commentators praise her to be. It's just my honest personal opinion, so please don't hate me... but even when compared to when Yuna, Kwan, and Mao at 16, she's not as good as them. Do I want her to medal? YES!!!! that would be kinda cool, but that medal color better not be gold. lol I don't see how she's that much better than Mirai Nagasu or even Ashley Wagner... Personally, I really really enjoyed Mirai's nationals performance when she broke that record at that time... 72 I think. (I can't remember which nationals it was, so I have to look it up). I don't know what happened to Rachel Flatt, but ... I don't see anything about Gracie surpassing any of them significantly.

Am I being overly critical?

Yes., you are, plus artificial. Why throw Kwan in when(not in your title) this is a "Gracie can't match Mao, nevermind Yuna." And Ill bet you feel Mao is always inferior to YuNa. I don't find this sincere, the way you put it. At all.

Elaine

On the Ice
Yes., you are, plus artificial. Why throw Kwan in when(not in your title) this is a "Gracie can't match Mao, nevermind Yuna." And Ill bet you feel Mao is always inferior to YuNa. I don't find this sincere, the way you put it. At all.

Seriously, what's wrong with you?
Did Yuna do something bad to you?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yuna was so astonishing in Vancouver that you forget she was only 19. Mao too.

But anyway, Gracie is incredibly talented and at nationals lived up to it. Let's hope it's the start of a true hot streak!