Is it true that Edeas break down fast? | Golden Skate

Is it true that Edeas break down fast?

Skatingbear

Rinkside
Since my Risport Skates cause sooo much pain in my ankles (Bunga pads, thermo adjustment etc. don't help), I have to buy new skates after one year. I want boots where I can be sure that I can use them for years, because it's too expensive to buy new boots every year. Last week I've tried on Edea Ice Flys, and I fell in love with them instantly, they are soo comfy and padded in the ankle area. I'm sure that with Ice Flys, I can finally skate without ankle pain.
But I have already heard oftentimes, that Edeas break down fast and you have to buy new boots every two years or even every year. Does this happen when you jump triples or quads or does it happen independently from your jumps?
I'm an adult skater who only jumps singles until now. Since I'm a student I don't have a lot of money, so I have to choose wisely what kind of boots I'm going to buy.
But buying cheaper Edeas is not really an option for me, because they don't really fit to my feet. Last year I've tried on Edea Overture and they felt so bad on my feet, I couldn't wear them longer than a few minutes. It seems like Edea Ice Fly are really special and they may be the perfect boots for me....

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I cannot skate personally but I suppose that it depends partly on jump technique. Shoma Uno used to break his boots every month or so, until his jump technique improved (sorry, I don't have the reference).
To the contrary, Yuzuru Hanyu whose technique is perfect (but still, I suppose that his occasional, but spectacular saves do give torsions in multiple directions, to the upper as well as the sole; and he needs very tight and hard boots because his right ankle ligaments are deteriorated beyond surgery) has Edea Piano? which he keeps around 4 years:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
HI and welcome! I'm just going to warn you--figure skating is an expensive sport and you will go through skates about every 2 years at your level. You start jumping more and with more rotations, they may break down every 18 mos.
Now, if your foot doesn't fit any edea other than top level then edea is definitely not for your foot shape and needs.
If you fit Risport, what boot were you in? Some fit less comfortable than others.
You could also try Graf or Jackson.

What you do not want to do is buy Ice Fly or Piano. They are way over your skating needs and too stiff, you're going to get injured.
And yes, skaters have been having issues with Edea's and breaking down and all kinds of things within the last few years now.

You really need to see a professional skate fitter who's going to measure as well as trace your feet (don't try to do this yourself!). Also, I become concerned about a fitter who would even suggest an ice fly, piano for a skater who is not jumping triple triples or quads.

If you let us know your height/weight, arch type, foot type (greek, roman, egyptian, etc) and about where you are in the world. We could help further!
Good luck! :)

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
Since my Risport Skates cause sooo much pain in my ankles (Bunga pads, thermo adjustment etc. don't help), I have to buy new skates after one year. I want boots where I can be sure that I can use them for years, because it's too expensive to buy new boots every year.
It is completely normal to buy new skates every year. As a general rule, skates will last one season. Sometimes, you can get lucky and get two years out of them. But consider that a blade usually has to be placed around that time (if you skate 6 days a week) anyway, and it makes sense that skates need to be replaced once a year.

Last week I've tried on Edea Ice Flys, and I fell in love with them instantly, they are soo comfy and padded in the ankle area. I'm sure that with Ice Flys, I can finally skate without ankle pain.
Have you tried Edea Chorus or Concerto? They are even more comfortable with additional padding!

But I have already heard oftentimes, that Edeas break down fast and you have to buy new boots every two years or even every year.
As I said, it's normal to replace your boots every year. Edea only break down prematurely when they are incorrectly sized or not laced or tied correctly.

Skatingbear

Rinkside
If you fit Risport, what boot were you in?
I've been skating with Risport RF3 Pro for a year now. Basically, Risport boots fit really well to my feet, except the ankles. They hurt my ankles sooooo much, and Bunga Pads, thermo adjustment etc. didn't help. That's why I'm afraid of buying Risports again, I finally want to skate without this awful pain in my ankles. The problem is, when I tie the boots a bit looser, I don't get enough stability. And when I tie them tighter, the side edge of the tongue pushes on my ankles and causes the pain.
That's why I think I need new boots that are at least as stiff as the RF3 Pro. I want boots that I can tie without hurting my ankles, but still with enough stability.

What you do not want to do is buy Ice Fly or Piano. They are way over your skating needs and too stiff, you're going to get injured.
Actually I know many adult skaters who "only" jump singles but wear very stiff boots like the Ice Fly. Probably simply because we weigh more than kids. I started figure skating last year and I already felt that I need the stiffness of the RF3 Pro (65) even for the basics. Now since I'm jumping singles, I feel like I need even stiffer boots to get enough stability. To avoid twisting my ankles, I have to tie my Risports soo tight that I almost choke my ankles 😵‍💫

If you let us know your height/weight, arch type, foot type (greek, roman, egyptian, etc) and about where you are in the world.
I'm a female adult skater from Germany, 23 years old, started skating last year, height 1,60 m, weight 57 kg (= normal weight). My feet are something between roman and egyptian, I think... foot ball circumference is 21 cm.

I will go next week again to a skate fitter to try on Graf skates. I would love to buy the Ice Fly, but my concerns are not only that they will break down too fast, but also that I have to buy new blades because my current blades are a few millimeters to big for the Ice Fly. And buying Ice Fly and new blades is so expensive 😭 (I'm a med student and I have very little money🙁) But on the other hand, the Ice Flys are padded so softly in the ankle area, that's exactly what I'm looking for since my ankles are so tortured by my Risports...

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've been skating with Risport RF3 Pro for a year now. Basically, Risport boots fit really well to my feet, except the ankles. They hurt my ankles sooooo much, and Bunga Pads, thermo adjustment etc. didn't help. That's why I'm afraid of buying Risports again, I finally want to skate without this awful pain in my ankles. The problem is, when I tie the boots a bit looser, I don't get enough stability. And when I tie them tighter, the side edge of the tongue pushes on my ankles and causes the pain.
That's why I think I need new boots that are at least as stiff as the RF3 Pro. I want boots that I can tie without hurting my ankles, but still with enough stability.

Actually I know many adult skaters who "only" jump singles but wear very stiff boots like the Ice Fly. Probably simply because we weigh more than kids. I started figure skating last year and I already felt that I need the stiffness of the RF3 Pro (65) even for the basics. Now since I'm jumping singles, I feel like I need even stiffer boots to get enough stability. To avoid twisting my ankles, I have to tie my Risports soo tight that I almost choke my ankles 😵‍💫

I'm a female adult skater from Germany, 23 years old, started skating last year, height 1,60 m, weight 57 kg (= normal weight). My feet are something between roman and egyptian, I think... foot ball circumference is 21 cm.

I will go next week again to a skate fitter to try on Graf skates. I would love to buy the Ice Fly, but my concerns are not only that they will break down too fast, but also that I have to buy new blades because my current blades are a few millimeters to big for the Ice Fly. And buying Ice Fly and new blades is so expensive 😭 (I'm a med student and I have very little money🙁) But on the other hand, the Ice Flys are padded so softly in the ankle area, that's exactly what I'm looking for since my ankles are so tortured by my Risports...
Okay, try the Risport Royal Pro and let me know what you think. Those are around the same stiffness as RF3Pro, but are made differently and should help you out the way they are anatomically made in the ankles. You shouldn't need anything at your height and weight over 65 stiffness which is what Royal Pro is.
As far as the discussion about "adults needing this and that and needing ice fly": No. Most adults again under about 150-160 lbs do not need anything higher than a 65 rated boot. The reason you see so many in ice fly is b/c they or a shady salesperson convinced them that they "needed them" but they truly do not. And of course they are padded that way, they're quad jump level boots for elite skaters.

I'm a former competitive elite and now professional, who has worn and tested just about every brand of boot/blade in my long career. Trust me when I say you definitely do not need top rated boots.

Let me know how it also goes with the Graf. Do you need suggestions of which styles to try?

Last but not least, I understand the monetary issues and sympathize. So, at this rate with your blades needing replaced regardless, best bet would be to get the mid-rated boot with a very good intermediate blade (MK Pro, John Wilson Coronation Ace--Traditional, not lite or rev.). And that way you may be able to afford boots and blades.

Good Luck! :) If you need any more help, I am here.

Last edited:

Skatingbear

Rinkside
Okay, try the Risport Royal Pro and let me know what you think. Those are around the same stiffness as RF3Pro, but are made differently and should help you out the way they are anatomically made in the ankles. You shouldn't need anything at your height weight over 65 stiffness which is what Royal Pro is.
As far as the discussion about "adults needing this and that and needing ice fly": No. Most adults again under about 150-160 lbs do not need anything higher than a 65 rated boot. The reason you see so many in ice fly is b/c they or a shady salesperson convinced them that they "needed them" but they truly do not. And of course they are padded that way, they're quad jump level boots for elite skaters.

I'm a former competitive elite and now professional, who has worn and tested just about every brand of boot/blade in my long career. Trust me when I say you definitely do not need top rated boots.

Let me know how it also goes with the Graf. Do you need suggestions of which styles to try?

Last but not least, I understand the monetary issues and sympathize. So, at this rate with your blades needing replaced regardless, best bet would be to get the mid-rated boot with a very good intermediate blade (MK Pro, John Wilson Coronation Ace--Traditional, not lite or rev.). And that way you may be able to afford boots and blades.

Good Luck! :) If you need any more help, I am here.
Thanks alot for your advice! So do you think that my Risports don't give enough stability just because they are broken down? This may be possible since I've been practising on ice up to 5 times per week in the past season, but on the other hand they still feel very stiff when I squeeze them. Very odd...

The sad thing about Germany is that there's no store where I can try on boots from Graf or Jackson. I have emailed a store in France, and there is one model from Graf that they could provide: Edmonton Special. I guess you would say again that they are too stiff... but next week I will drive to France to try them on. At least to know if my feet basically fit to Graf boots and to find out my correct size, so I know what to order if I will order another Graf model from abroad.

German stores only provide Risport and Edea boots. Very onesided.... but I will try on the Risport boots that you have recommended!

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hello there! So the TLDR for skates is that it is truly the boot maker and style fit to the foot that plays a HUGE factor in how fast a boot takes to break down, along with how much you skate and the amount of force you apply to your skates. For example, I myself was in Reidell for a very long time and was able to get a year out of each pair doing triples, and they were specially built up like tanks. But when I switched to Jackson I was able to get a small bit more time out of them with just a stock boot. The key difference is that the boot was better fit to my wide foot and the shorter blade worked with my technique much better that I was able to get more spring out of my skate without driving as much force into the boot than I used to. Since you're doing singles, the nature of the jumps alone wouldn't put as much force into your skates. Generally it is not good to over-boot depending on your skating ability and body metrics but I have seen a handful of adult skaters that only do single jumps in Ice Flys skating without issue. (So far I've never seen an adult skater in Pianos) The caveat is that these skaters were usually either more heavy set or had strong enough skating skills that they could put great pressure into their skates with their ankle and knee bend. If you're looking for a good pair of skates that have the sturdiness to last longer than a year then Ice Fly would certainly be on the table as an option. As IceRabbit said, having more of an idea of your height, weight, and foot type would give us more info to use, but only if you are comfortable sharing in a public space online :) It would be a fair assumption that if Ice Fly feels comfortable to wear, your foot may fit perfectly happily into the generally narrow set Italian boots just fine, but different boot brands also accommodate certain foot types better than others. I'm of course more biased towards Jacksons for lasting longer than most other boot brands haha
Now all that being said, use the advice we give here only as a launching point to learn more from and definitely find a good fitter/dealer to help you find the best fit boot for you, your body, and your skating skill and help set you up with the most appropriate skate. We can direct you in whatever direction with some helpful information, but it's highly risky to go at trying to boot yourself up alone with some rudimentary knowledge form a forum, even if the advice is very sound. An in-person fitter/technician will be able to tangibly assist you wayyyyy more than we can here (so long as they're a well trained tech that takes the time to set you up right):wink:
Hope some of this helps!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks alot for your advice! So do you think that my Risports don't give enough stability just because they are broken down? This may be possible since I've been practising on ice up to 5 times per week in the past season, but on the other hand they still feel very stiff when I squeeze them. Very odd...

The sad thing about Germany is that there's no store where I can try on boots from Graf or Jackson. I have emailed a store in France, and there is one model from Graf that they could provide: Edmonton Special. I guess you would say again that they are too stiff... but next week I will drive to France to try them on. At least to know if my feet basically fit to Graf boots and to find out my correct size, so I know what to order if I will order another Graf model from abroad.

German stores only provide Risport and Edea boots. Very onesided.... but I will try on the Risport boots that you have recommended!
As far as a fitter in your area of Europe, I'm going to direct you to @emilinkaa who is in the area and knows good fitters/shops for you to try.
And yes, Edmonton Special is too stiff. Richmond Special is around 70 stiffness and would be ok. F4000 is 65 stiffness.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd suggest trying Risport Royal Pros for fit. They fit very differently around the ankle from the RF3 Pros and if your feet have been happy in Risport, but it's just your ankles. But then, try every boot out there if you can!

And yes, boots can be broken down for you even if they feel very stiff from outside. I used to go through top level boots at the rate of a pair every 9 months to a year and yet other people felt they were absolutely fine. They weren't for me.

Figure skating is a very expensive sport.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'd suggest trying Risport Royal Pros for fit. They fit very differently around the ankle from the RF3 Pros and if your feet have been happy in Risport, but it's just your ankles. But then, try every boot out there if you can!

And yes, boots can be broken down for you even if they feel very stiff from outside. I used to go through top level boots at the rate of a pair every 9 months to a year and yet other people felt they were absolutely fine. They weren't for me.

Figure skating is a very expensive sport.
Exactly, when I was competing I was through a pair of boots every 8-9 months at Jr and Sr level. It's not a cheap sport lol!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
As far as a fitter in your area of Europe, I'm going to direct you to @emilinkaa who is in the area and knows good fitters/shops for you to try.
And yes, Edmonton Special is too stiff. Richmond Special is around 70 stiffness and would be ok. F4000 is 65 stiffness.

Sadly, my quest for boots (and that neurodivergent quest for niche knowledge) means I know more than I’d like.

Hi! Feel free to PM me with your location if you don’t want to share here. I’m in Munich, and went to a shop in Austria, but can send you info on shops all over Germany. There are places that sell both Graf and Jackson in Germany, you just can’t find them online. Because it’s Germany. 😂

2sk8

Rinkside

Edmonton Special will be too stiff for you, but there are definitely other model options from Graf that would suit your skill level - Ruby Champion, Prestige or maybe up to a Richmond Special, but probably not stiffer than that. There are shops in Germany that carry Graf, as well as a distributor. Or, you could contact the main location in Switzerland for a recommendation. Graf Dealers

Skatingbear

Rinkside
I'd also recommend you to try the Royal Pros. They are more comfy than your current boots.
Now since several people have recommended the Royal Pros, I'm really curious, I will definitely try them on. The advantage would be that I could keep my blades. When I buy Edeas, I would need smaller blades, when I buy Graf, I would need bigger blades. And due to financial reasons I want to keep my current blades 😅

azzie

Spectator
HI and welcome! I'm just going to warn you--figure skating is an expensive sport and you will go through skates about every 2 years at your level. You start jumping more and with more rotations, they may break down every 18 mos.
Now, if your foot doesn't fit any edea other than top level then edea is definitely not for your foot shape and needs.
If you fit Risport, what boot were you in? Some fit less comfortable than others.
You could also try Graf or Jackson.

And yes, skaters have been having issues with Edea's and breaking down and all kinds of things within the last few years now.

You really need to see a professional skate fitter who's going to measure as well as trace your feet (don't try to do this yourself!). Also, I become concerned about a fitter who would even suggest an ice fly, piano for a skater who is not jumping triple triples or quads.

If you let us know your height/weight, arch type, foot type (greek, roman, egyptian, etc) and about where you are in the world. We could help further!
Dear Ic3Rabbit,
I’m a mom to a female skater who is starting to jump axel. She recently had many problems with her ankle, the one she lands her jumps on. It is painful and we’ve been to doctors( said it was ligament) and chiropractor( adjusted, massaged, and aligned + EMS therapy).
Everytime she jumps now she can feel it and her mental state about jumping is bad. She even considered stopping altogether. After reading some posts here, trying to find out more about what other issues did we actually miss, I’m questioning whether the boots she has on is right for her. She is on Edea Concerto. We are in Malaysia, professional fitters are not really available here I think. She struggles getting her ankle ‘locked’ in her boots.
How do we have access to such professional fitters? We are heading to Japan soon. Is there anyone you could suggest there?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I cannot skate personally but I suppose that it depends partly on jump technique. Shoma Uno used to break his boots every month or so, until his jump technique improved (sorry, I don't have the reference).
To the contrary, Yuzuru Hanyu whose technique is perfect (but still, I suppose that his occasional, but spectacular saves do give torsions in multiple directions, to the upper as well as the sole; and he needs very tight and hard boots because his right ankle ligaments are deteriorated beyond surgery) has Edea Piano? which he keeps around 4 years:

I assume Hanyu has multiple pairs of Edea Pianos that he breaks in around the same time, and rotates his usage of. I highly doubt he uses a single pair that lasts that long (plus needing spare skates for emergency). I also saw a post by John Wilson one time with I think 6 or 7 sets of blades with Hanyus name etched on them.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Dear Ic3Rabbit,
I’m a mom to a female skater who is starting to jump axel. She recently had many problems with her ankle, the one she lands her jumps on. It is painful and we’ve been to doctors( said it was ligament) and chiropractor( adjusted, massaged, and aligned + EMS therapy).
Everytime she jumps now she can feel it and her mental state about jumping is bad. She even considered stopping altogether. After reading some posts here, trying to find out more about what other issues did we actually miss, I’m questioning whether the boots she has on is right for her. She is on Edea Concerto. We are in Malaysia, professional fitters are not really available here I think. She struggles getting her ankle ‘locked’ in her boots.
How do we have access to such professional fitters? We are heading to Japan soon. Is there anyone you could suggest there?
Please send me a PM and we'll discuss this.

emam

Spectator