Is Skate Canada going to send athletes to Worlds? | Golden Skate

Is Skate Canada going to send athletes to Worlds?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
As far as we know, Worlds in Sweden is still on for 2021, though that could potentially change last minute. Papadakis/Cizeron haven't changed their plans to skip due to all the issues they had training (in Canada), and obviously most Canadian skaters are facing the same challenges which is why they cancelled nationals.

I don't know what the current training situation is - are rinks still closed? Are elite athletes still not able to train properly? Is the border situation for athletes still problematic? Has there been any official news on their stance on going to Worlds?

If anyone has got links to any recent articles on it (from the last couple of weeks), I would appreciate it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
All i remember is that the world team was supposed to be announced on Feb 24th. We should have news soon either way.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Are there any potentially controversial decisions that need to be made for these assignments?
They need to pick one man from among 3 candidates: Nam, Keegan, and Roman. Roman won Nationals last year but didn't do well at 4CC, and Nam was chosen for the Worlds that were cancelled. This year, Roman won Challenge followed by Nam; Keegan didn't go to Challenge but got the bronze at Skate America.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for ladies, it's a question whether or not they will send gabby... madeline should be sent. other than gabby, alison has a shot.

for ice dance, should be a formality with 3 teams and lala being quite ahead of S/F I believe..

for pairs the 2nd team should be W/M but they didn't do challenge because of a minor injury. They should be fine now, but monitoring is there for that kind of reason.... if the injury set them back, Matte-Ferland had a strong showing at Challenge but very little international experience as senior, if any.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Nam was the best choice last year, but has had little practice and wasn't first at the Challenge. Keegan looked good at Skate America. Roman did very well at Nationals last year but really fell apart at 4CC, and then did well at the Challenge. I have no clue how Canada's going to choose. It should be interesting!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
for ladies, it's a question whether or not they will send gabby... madeline should be sent. other than gabby, alison has a shot.

for ice dance, should be a formality with 3 teams and lala being quite ahead of S/F I believe..

for pairs the 2nd team should be W/M but they didn't do challenge because of a minor injury. They should be fine now, but monitoring is there for that kind of reason.... if the injury set them back, Matte-Ferland had a strong showing at Challenge but very little international experience as senior, if any.
Just for clarity, the 3 ice dance teams you're referring to as obvious choices are Gilles/Poirier, F-B/S (the former Danes) and Lajoie/Lagha.

The top pair (and obvious first choice) is Moore-Towers/Marinaro.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow Emily owes a lot to everyone. How lucky she gets to go after this season.. I understand it is the luck the women were weak and had two spots. The men were strong but one spot. Poor Nam and Roman.