Papadakis / Cizeron To Only Compete at Worlds | Golden Skate

Papadakis / Cizeron To Only Compete at Worlds

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
According to a French article, Papadakis and Cizeron have said they will only compete at the World Championships this year.

I don't speak French, but it seems that they started training in June, and Gabriella is having visa issues? Maybe someone else can translate better, but it still remains that they are not competing until Worlds.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
According to a French article, Papadakis and Cizeron have said they will only compete at the World Championships this year.

I don't speak French, but it seems that they started training in June, and Gabriella is having visa issues? Maybe someone else can translate better, but it still remains that they are not competing until Worlds.

Bringing over key points from my summary of the interview and a related article in the P/C FanFest:
  • Guillaume is currently in France visiting family for his birthday; he got a Canadian residency permit in February and so can re-enter the country if he leaves. Gabriella has a different kind of visa and wouldn't be allowed to return, so she has to stay in Montreal; this has been hard for her because her grandfather died recently and her grandmother is isolating alone due to COVID-19, and she can't visit to support her. Guillaume will be back in Montreal for two weeks of isolation at the start of next week and after that they'll return to training.
  • Because of the visa situation, they're not going to compete at Nationals or Europeans (if it takes place) due to the risk of being stranded outside Canada or stuck in different countries once they leave. They're aiming for Worlds to give themselves something as much like certainty as the situation currently allows for.
  • Both of them had COVID-19 in July after having contact with an infected person, but came through it okay with no lung problems, just a slightly extended recovery time after they got back on the ice. Guillaume still doesn't fully have his sense of smell back, though.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Poor Gabriella, that must be so hard. Scary that both of them had it, especially now that we know what it can do; what a horrible thought.

I doubts Worlds will take place and am honestly surprised a call hasn't been made on Euros, especially with the second wave now gripping Europe.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Poor Gabriella, that must be so hard. Scary that both of them had it, especially now that we know what it can do; what a horrible thought.

This current situation must be really tough on people who have family in different parts of the world. Being so far away from relatives, and worrying about them. My thoughts go out to all people who find themselves in this position.

But, the position that Gabriella found herself in truly is the nightmare scenario. That poor girl, and her poor family! I hope that when this is all over that they will be able to be reunited and be able to support each other after what must have been an awful time for all of them.

And, of course, I send my condolences to them on their loss.

Also, I wish Gabriella and Guillaume for their continued recovery to full fitness.

I doubts Worlds will take place and am honestly surprised a call hasn't been made on Euros, especially with the second wave now gripping Europe.

The announcement of the new dates for the Universiade, which was supposed to be held the same week as Europeans, was only made on Friday (for more, see my post from last night in the coronavirus season thread). So, I suspect that the ISU were concentrating on making sure they got their points across in what must have been a very complex series of negotiations between FISU and the governing bodies of the various sports.

And now that that has been done, the ISU can concentrate on getting their own house in order.

Like you, I expect Euros and the two World Championships to be cancelled. Too many skaters coming to the same place from too many countries.

CaroLiza_fan