ISU Communication 2418 - JGP Season 2021/22 in times of Covid | Golden Skate

ISU Communication 2418 - JGP Season 2021/22 in times of Covid

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/26032-isu-communication-2418/file

Some selected excerpts:

Starting with the first planned ISU Series of the season, the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating series, the ISU and the organizing and participating ISU Members are confronted with numerous challenges, including but not limited to the following:

• Entry restrictions into host countries and/or return to the home countries, in the form of required proof of full, timely and internationally recognized vaccination and/or timely Covid-19 tests and/or quarantine requirements.
• Limited air travel options for certain destinations and origins. The input from the ISU travel manager indicates that depending on the origin and destination it will be difficult to find the necessary flights in a timely and economically sustainable manner.

Based on the above, the ISU Council concluded that while striving to organize and safely conduct all ISU Junior Grand Prix events of the season, the participation of all currently planned entries will not be possible.

Nevertheless, the Council agreed to monitor the situation and, subject to the re-allocation requests remaining at a reasonable low level, to consider requests for such re-allocations on a case-by-case basis.

Mindful of the above-mentioned situation and challenges, the Council finally concluded that it is impossible to implement a fair and consistent ISU Junior Grand Prix ranking for the 2021/22 season. The Council therefore agreed to focus on the safe organization of the individual ISU Junior Grand Prix events with the best possible participation. However, no ISU Junior Grand Prix ranking will be applied.

What does this mean for participants from countries such as Russia, whose vaccine has not been recognized in the EU yet? Will they even be able to participate in the first two JGP stages (afaik, France has some kind of "red list" of countries from which entry is currently not possible). Will they get more spots at other JGPs? It truly is a logistical nightmare.

TeamGubanova

On the Ice
Maybe not a lot of these federations have probably quarantined their skaters, so I do think we could see a full jgp

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
so I do think we could see a full jgp
I also think we will see a full JGP, but some nominated skaters might not be able to make it to their respective stages due to entry restrictions in the host country. Apparently, the ISU is already anticipating such difficulties for the first two stages in France. From the communication [bolded part added by me]:
The first two ISU Junior Grand Prix events in France are already subject to increased entry restrictions. Depending on the country of departure and on the status (timing and type) of vaccination, participants from certain countries may enter France only subject to undergoing a quarantine. For some “red-flagged” countries [Russia?], such quarantine of up to 10 days applies even for fully vaccinated participants. Such quarantine requirements obviously make the participation of the concerned teams impossible. It must be anticipated that other countries will impose similar measures applicable to arriving or returning travelers.

This communication is currently flying under the radar, but I honestly worry that we might not get to see skaters from certain countries at some JGP stages. I just hope ISU can figure out a way for these skaters to show their programs internationally, the Juniors already have lost one full international season. :(

icetug

Medalist
The season of junior grand prix is already over...
There will not be JGP Final for sure, but other competition will take place. Not every country demand the quarantine. As for today Russian skaters can enter Poland without quarantine (so I hope to see them in Gdansk). I bet in Krasnoyarsk more than three Russian skaters will be allowed to take part. So I wouldn't cross out the season...

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Oh no, I wish I would have been wrong about this, but the ISU communication was kind of ominous. 😭 😭 😭 I just hope that the Russian boys and girls will get extra spots in Krasnoyarsk! Or maybe (being totally selfish here) they could have some additional spots at JGP Austria, afaik there is an exception to the quarantine rule for professional sportspersons and their coaching teams in Austria.
JGP in France now lost most of its appeal to me, I guess I'll stick to re-watching my favourite performances from test skates instead. :(

Verlioca

Spectator
It's so bad that the russian don't organize the quarantine for their young skaters...
How do you imagine this? :) Quarantine that France requires means being locked up in your hotel room for 10 days straight. No leaving the room, no practising, no nothing. It's dangerous for athletes to compete after such a big period of time spent without practice. Not to mention it would be unfair compared to those who had access to ice and everything. Skipping was the only sensible thing to do.

IMO, France could've made an exception for athletes. There are so few of them, that they would not impact anything. Besides, Sputnik actually does its thing, even if the EU pretends that those people are not vaccinated at all.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Most countries aren't vaccinating under 16 , here in the UK we have only just approved vaccination for 16 and 17yr olds. So I find this quite absurd that France has done this!! I am guessing its a broad directive that has no nuances for young elite athletes. It seems every country is different and the travelling rules are constantly changing. All so unpredictable. With new variants likely to emerge it's difficult to see how a cohesive approach can work across the world . It's definitely needed though. Vaccine covid passports are looking to be the way forward for most governments.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Most countries aren't vaccinating under 16 , here in the UK we have only just approved vaccination for 16 and 17yr olds. So I find this quite absurd that France has done this!! I am guessing its a broad directive that has no nuances for young elite athletes.
But I am thinking that even if athletes under 16 were able to arrive due to an exception to the rule, their adult team wouldn't be able to. Quarantining several adults for 10 days would be more feasible financially, especially since they wouldn't perform on the ice - but in those 10 days they would rather be needed back at their home rink for final pre-competition trainings, so... Would allowing an exception for young athletes really work? I honestly don't know... :(

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
But I am thinking that even if athletes under 16 were able to arrive due to an exception to the rule, their adult team wouldn't be able to. Quarantining several adults for 10 days would be more feasible financially, especially since they wouldn't perform on the ice - but in those 10 days they would rather be needed back at their home rink for final pre-competition trainings, so... Would allowing an exception for young athletes really work? I honestly don't know... :(
Yes I see your point. I am assuming there would be a limited amount of people that could go with them. If EU approved the Sputnik vaccine then the adults would not have to quarantine I don't think. I think there needs to be some sort of coherent strategy for the sport across all countries. I can see the senior GP having similar issues!! I do hope not. It's all a mess really. Not normal times unfortunately .

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Yes I see your point. I am assuming there would be a limited amount of people that could go with them. If EU approved the Sputnik vaccine then the adults would not have to quarantine I don't think. I think there needs to be some sort of coherent strategy for the sport across all countries. I can see the senior GP having similar issues!! I do hope not. It's all a mess really. Not normal times unfortunately .

Yeah, exactly. :( Maybe also Hongyi, Boyang and Han in seniors don't need to feel regretful about their single spot this year -_-

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Who can explain the current rules of selection for JGPF? Those skaters who can't enter France will have the opportunity to compete elsewhere. This one is clear. But what are criteria? It used to be points based on placements. Will they change for scores? We know that there are inconsistencies in judging. On the other hand, points are even more unfair. Say skater A wins in France and gets 5th place in Slovenia. With points she would be still ahead of skater B who is third in Slovenia and Krasnoyarsk. And this would be very unfair as the level of competition will be quite different in France and elsewhere. So, with the above-mentioned placements if skater A has 180+180 and skater B has 190+190 who will go to JGPF?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Who can explain the current rules of selection for JGPF?
I don't think anything has been announced yet. No one can explain something when no one know what it is, maybe not even the ISU.

We will just have to wait until something is announced, then we can all argue about what it means and how fair or unfair it is.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
So, with the above-mentioned placements if skater A has 180+180 and skater B has 190+190 who will go to JGPF?
On Russian media they said total scores will decide who gets a ticket to JGPF. So in the above example skater B would be 20 points ahead of skater A. I have no idea if this is already an official communication from the ISU. If they do it like this we can only hope for more or less consistent judging across all of the events.

Gg Gg

On the Ice
the only way for an American girl to beat the Russians is to do this kind of shameless things. I don't plan to see these kinds of embarrassing shows.