Jackson blades & Edea skates | Golden Skate

Jackson blades & Edea skates

davster

Rinkside
Has anyone had Jackson Matrix freestyle blades mounted on Edea Pianos ?
The Edea blades are a fraction smaller but I have excellent blades from my Jacksons that I'd like to mount on my new Edeas
Thanks

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
The Edea blades are a fraction smaller but I have excellent blades from my Jacksons that I'd like to mount on my new Edeas
Thanks
Do the blades hang over the end(s) of the boot soles, or do they fit the length of the soles? (I've never had either those blades or those boots, but I've occasionally had old scarcely-used blades attached to new boots. My fitter just said it was only a question of the lengths being appropriate for each other.)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks
<<Emphasis added>> Please clarify. By "the Edea blades", do you mean the blades sold under the Edea brand? If so, there are three current models: Balance, Rotation, and Charme. The Balance and Rotation come in 1/3" increments, and the Charme come in 1/4" increments. But they are all low-end blades that would be an odd choice to mount on their top-of-the-line Pianos.

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OP. On re-reading your post, I was wondering if your real question is "Can you mix different brands of boots and blades?" If so, the answer is "Yes".

davster

Rinkside
Yes, I want to put my Jackson Freestyle blades onto my new Edea Piano boots.
The reason I ask is there is slight fraction of size difference between the Edea blades and the Jacksons.
The Edeas usually have a blade that is slightly smaller than the Jackson Matrix Freestyle blades
Thanks

davster

Rinkside
<<Emphasis added>> Please clarify. By "the Edea blades", do you mean the blades sold under the Edea brand? If so, there are three current models: Balance, Rotation, and Charme. The Balance and Rotation come in 1/3" increments, and the Charme come in 1/4" increments. But they are all low-end blades that would be an odd choice to mount on their top-of-the-line Pianos.
Actually, I don't know if it is "Edea Brand." The skate shop tells me that the blades for the Edea line are slightly shorter than the Jackson Matrix blades. They say they can mount the Jacksons no problem, but they just want me to know.
My question is, has anyone had this experience and do the slightly longer Jackson blades work ok ?
Thanks

davster

Rinkside
Do the blades hang over the end(s) of the boot soles, or do they fit the length of the soles? (I've never had either those blades or those boots, but I've occasionally had old scarcely-used blades attached to new boots. My fitter just said it was only a question of the lengths being appropriate for each other.)
HI Diana:
The blades hang just slightly over the soles and slightly over the heal. Looks like it would be 1/16 th of an inch at most, at either end

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Actually, I don't know if it is "Edea Brand." The skate shop tells me that the blades for the Edea line are slightly shorter than the Jackson Matrix blades. They say they can mount the Jacksons no problem, but they just want me to know.
My question is, has anyone had this experience and do the slightly longer Jackson blades work ok ?
Thanks
* If you refer to the Edea website, you will see that they also distribute blades. As I mentioned before, there are three entry-level blades sold under the "Edea" house brand. The two lowest models come in 1/3" increments; their best comes in 1/4" increments. For intermediate and advanced blades, they carry MK and Wilson blades, which come in 1/4" increments. These are all standard MK and Wilson stock blades, not Edea-specific custom models. The Jackson Ultima Matrix Freestyle blades come in 1/4" increments. So there is nothing special about the length of Edea blades (whether Edea-branded or Edea-distributed). You can mount any brand blade on an Edea boot. It's a question of choosing the right length blade to mate with your specific boot.

* Edea guidance for correct blade length has changed. At one time, they recommended that the blade length equal the full length of the boot (front tip of sole to back tip of heel). The current guidance is less specific. They now supply a chart, but with disclaimers:

"Edea provide a suggested blade size chart but this is only a guide. Ask your coach if he/she has preferences."

"Blades are still measured in inches, thirds for starter blades and quarters for high level blades. This length is the distance between toe plates and heel plates. As our boots are measured for internal length in millimeters, we have provided a guide for the correct blade length. Your coach and the skate technician will be able to provide the final advice."

<<Emphasis added.>>

* My coach wears Edea ShowGirl boots with Jackson Ultima Matrix Freestyle blades.

Elija

On the Ice
Thanks
Edea blades or boots? I’m just wondering if you misunderstood what was said. Edea boots take shorter blades in general due to their high heel (regardless of the brand of blade), perhaps that is what the person at the shop meant. You can put any brand of blade on any boot, just make sure you check the edea size chart to make sure you are using the correct size. Many famous skaters wear edea boots with Jackson blades!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
HI Diana:
The blades hang just slightly over the soles and slightly over the heal. Looks like it would be 1/16 th of an inch at most, at either end
[Edit: Since sending this, I see you've had the blades measured at 1/4" longer rather than 1/8". In that case, they're too long and you should go with the other advice you've been given. But I'll leave my original answer here so you know I did see your question addressed to me :)]

Um. About an 1/8th of an inch altogether then. Speaking as just a longtime skater, who doesn't coach and isn't a technical person, I'd probably give the old blades a try and see if that smidge of an extra feels too long. You'll probably get better suggestions from others who know more about the brands in question, but if they were my skates I'd give the old blades a chance, and if they didn't feel right I'd then buy new ones that are a bit shorter. When I switched from Jackson boots to Risport, my fitter put my barely-used old blades on the new boots and they stuck out a tiny bit at the toe end. It didn't affect my skating, and when I eventually bought new MK blades, my brand of choice in blades, I went one size shorter and frankly didn't feel any difference.

Last edited:

davster

Rinkside
* If you refer to the Edea website, you will see that they also distribute blades. As I mentioned before, there are three entry-level blades sold under the "Edea" house brand. The two lowest models come in 1/3" increments; their best comes in 1/4" increments. For intermediate and advanced blades, they carry MK and Wilson blades, which come in 1/4" increments. These are all standard MK and Wilson stock blades, not Edea-specific custom models. The Jackson Ultima Matrix Freestyle blades come in 1/4" increments. So there is nothing special about the length of Edea blades (whether Edea-branded or Edea-distributed). You can mount any brand blade on an Edea boot. It's a question of choosing the right length blade to mate with your specific boot.

* Edea guidance for correct blade length has changed. At one time, they recommended that the blade length equal the full length of the boot (front tip of sole to back tip of heel). The current guidance is less specific. They now supply a chart, but with disclaimers:

"Edea provide a suggested blade size chart but this is only a guide. Ask your coach if he/she has preferences."

"Blades are still measured in inches, thirds for starter blades and quarters for high level blades. This length is the distance between toe plates and heel plates. As our boots are measured for internal length in millimeters, we have provided a guide for the correct blade length. Your coach and the skate technician will be able to provide the final advice."

<<Emphasis added.>>

* My coach wears Edea ShowGirl boots with Jackson Ultima Matrix Freestyle blades.
Thanks for the detailed response. My Matrix blade is in total 1/4 inch longer than the boot. The tech has put in on, so it extends 1/8 inch longer at the heal and 1/8 inch longer at the toe. I'm wondering if that's acceptable ? Thanks so much. I'll take a look at the link.
It looks pretty close to me, but my daughter will be trying it tomorrow.

davster

Rinkside
Thanks for the detailed response. My Matrix blade is in total 1/4 inch longer than the boot. The tech has put in on, so it extends 1/8 inch longer at the heal and 1/8 inch longer at the toe. I'm wondering if that's acceptable ? Thanks so much. I'll take a look at the link.
Sorry, I meant to say 1/16 longer at each end. Not that great at math

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sorry, I meant to say 1/16 longer at each end. Not that great at math
So the Matrix blades you have are an 1/8" longer (not a 1/4" longer) than the length of the boots, correct? Depends on the details of the mount. Check carefully in particular how the heel plate of the blade protrudes past the heel of the boot and how the sole plate of the blade protrudes past the sole of the boot. If your daughter falls, and either side of the boot strikes the ice, is it possible for the protruding portions of the plates to dig into the ice, interfering with the boot from sliding? If yes, I personally wouldn't skate with those blades.

Last edited:

davster

Rinkside
So the Matrix blades you have are an 1/8" longer (not a 1/4" longer) than the length of the boots, correct? Depends on the details of the mount. Check carefully in particular how the heel plate of the blade protrudes past the heel of the boot and how the sole plate of the blade protrudes past the sole of the boot. If your daughter falls, and either side of the boot strikes the ice, is it possible for the protruding portions of the plates to dig into the ice, interfering with the boot from sliding? If yes, I personally wouldn't skate with those blades.
Thanks for the info. Looking at the chart you sent, my daughter's size is 245. According to the chart they recommend a 9 1/4 blade.
Her blade is 9 1/2. which looks like in between two different boot sizes in the chart.
Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Mimi2789

Rinkside
No. That is not acceptable. Really, really not acceptable.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Edeas take a shorter size blade than other brands. I've always skated in Edeas only, but have club mates who switched to Edeas from other brand and had to switch blade size too.

Skating with a blade that comes even 1 milimiter longer than the end of the heel or end of toe box is not acceptable

davster

Rinkside
No. That is not acceptable. Really, really not acceptable.
Thanks Mimi: It really doesn't work. She can't do her double jumps and says her edges are way off. Lesson learned. The skate shop should have told us, but they didn't have the right size blades in stock so I think that's why they tried to convince us. I think I've found some now, but will be shipped from eastern Canada. thanks for taking the time.

davster

Rinkside
Edeas take a shorter size blade than other brands. I've always skated in Edeas only, but have club mates who switched to Edeas from other brand and had to switch blade size too.

Skating with a blade that comes even 1 milimiter longer than the end of the heel or end of toe box is not acceptable
Absolutely. She couldn't do much with those blades. The skate shop told us to try it, because they don't have the right size Matrix Freestyle blade that my daughter loves and doesn't want to change. I've now found some but they will take a couple of days for shipping. A costly change with boots and blades, but my daughter loves her new Edeas. Thanks for taking the time

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Absolutely. She couldn't do much with those blades. The skate shop told us to try it, because they don't have the right size Matrix Freestyle blade that my daughter loves and doesn't want to change. I've now found some but they will take a couple of days for shipping. A costly change with boots and blades, but my daughter loves her new Edeas. Thanks for taking the time
Glad you got a satisfactory result. I had assumed they were your own skates, not your daughter's, or I wouldn't have suggested giving the old blades a try. Better to get her equipment sorted out to begin with so you know she's safe on the right blades for her new boots. :)