Jackson Synergy Boots - looking for experiences please | Golden Skate

Jackson Synergy Boots - looking for experiences please

christy

On the Ice
I saw a fitter who recommended I get the Jackson Synergy boot in the 60 strength. They didn't mention customization, but that has been mentioned on here so will investigate. I tried a pair that were too big for me, and thought they felt incredibly stiff. The fitter said they'd need to be stretched quite a bit and I'm worried the stretching will not last (posted a thread on that) and that they'll be too stiff., but I'm tall and heavy (80kg) Also I spoke to someone who said the only person they knew who'd tried them had got lots of blisters, so I'm worried about that too.
I tried the Debut and hated them, and they said Freestyle wouldn't be stiff enough.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I saw a fitter who recommended I get the Jackson Synergy boot in the 60 strength. They didn't mention customization, but that has been mentioned on here so will investigate. I tried a pair that were too big for me, and thought they felt incredibly stiff. The fitter said they'd need to be stretched quite a bit and I'm worried the stretching will not last (posted a thread on that) and that they'll be too stiff., but I'm tall and heavy (80kg) Also I spoke to someone who said the only person they knew who'd tried them had got lots of blisters, so I'm worried about that too.
I tried the Debut and hated them, and they said Freestyle wouldn't be stiff enough.
The info on the Synergy is right on the jackson ultima webpage. https://jacksonultima.com/pages/boots-products
It says right there all the semi/rapid customizations you can do.

christy

On the Ice
Yes, I'm going to look at that, but I'm worried that the boots just aren't going to work for me, and if I order some with any customization I'm going to be stuck with them. That's why I want to find out about other people's experiences. I'm just not convinced that they're going to work for me and I don't want boots that will just cause me pain and blisters.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, I'm going to look at that, but I'm worried that the boots just aren't going to work for me, and if I order some with any customization I'm going to be stuck with them.
Then choose other boots. Those that I know that have them, like them. But everyones different.

christy

On the Ice
Then choose other boots. Those that I know that have them, like them. But everyones different.
They are saying those are my best / only option. They said I have a Jackson foot and told me Edea wouldn't work. They did give me one Reidell to try but that didn't work, and the Debuts didn't work either. I asked about Risport but they don't stock them, and no one else within a weekend trip does either.

As I mentioned on the other thread they'd need to be stretched at least 1cm and I'm worried that the stretching won't last.

Lucie

Rinkside
Correct me if I’m wrong but it sounds like you need the stiffness level of the Debut but didn’t like them, is that right? If so what didn’t you like about them? If it’s the fit you will likely have the same issue with other Jackson models. If it’s the look of them - I get it, I do, I almost didn’t buy them just because they’re so fugly but they’re so comfortable and good fit for me that it’s actually growing on me and anyway you shouldn’t be looking at your skates when you’re skating so it shouldn’t bother us!

The synergy elite comes standard as 60 stiffness but sounds like they may be too stiff for you. What level/skills etc are you working on?

Any boot that you have mounted and take on the ice you are unlikely to be able to return even if it’s not a special order/custom.

Also why will the synergy need to be stretched but the debut won’t?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If it’s the look of them - I get it, I do, I almost didn’t buy them just because they’re so fugly but they’re so comfortable and good fit for me that it’s actually growing on me and anyway you shouldn’t be looking at your skates when you’re skating so it shouldn’t bother us!
🤣

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
1cm is a whole lot of stretching. I’m kinda confused as to why you would need to stretch a boot so much when you can do semi custom with Jackson. Also you can do semi custom or even full custom with any boot in the 2000 or 5000 series. It would help to know what elements you are working on. And what didn’t work for the Debut? You’ll be going in every month to restretch your boots! I get stretching a little bit for bunions but even that is not guaranteed to last.

Last edited:

christy

On the Ice
Honestly I absolutely hate the look of the fugly Debuts, but was prepared to be openminded if they worked for me as I can always get boot covers :wink: The store heated them up for me to try but I felt like I was sitting on top of the insole so my foot was sort of floating, the front of the tongue was really digging into the top of my foot, my heel didn't go back properly no matter how many times I tried and they were just incredibly uncomfortable. Also they didn't feel like they had any support and I was bending the tongue massively. I used to wear the older Jackson Elites and loved them, but of course they're no longer available.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Also they didn't feel like they had any support and I was bending the tongue massively. I used to wear the older Jackson Elites and loved them, but of course they're no longer available.
I just went through a similar exercise. My tech told me that some discontinued models are still available on special order through a Jackson authorized rep [I have a late 2014 men's Jackson Elite Suede (real leather) that he said he could special order]. If your tech is a Jackson authorized rep, have them check whether your old model Elite is still available (what vintage is yours? real leather or synthetic?). Also, the previous Elites got rebranded as their current Supremes (back to real leather). The major difference is that the new 6K tongue is much stiffer (it's backed with compressed felt, instead of sponge foam), and needs a lot of break-in. The sole and heel are also fabricated from different materials now. Did you try the current Supremes?

Last edited:

christy

On the Ice
I just went through a similar exercise. My tech told me that some discontinued models are still available on special order through a Jackson authorized rep [I have a late 2014 men's Jackson Elite Suede (real leather) that he said he could special order]. If your tech is a Jackson authorized rep, have them check whether your old model Elite is still available (what vintage is yours? real leather or synthetic?). Also, the previous Elites got rebranded as their current Supremes (back to real leather). The major difference is that the new 6K tongue is much stiffer (it's backed with compressed felt, instead of sponge foam), and needs a lot of break-in. The sole and heel are also fabricated from different materials now. Did you try the current Supremes?
My old Jacksons were the real leather and probably around 2014ish too. I didn't try the current Supremes. The store had very limited stock of pretty much anything in my size - basically the Debuts and a pair of Reidells that didn't work either. The Synergy I tried were too big for me, but it was just to give me a feel of the boot. They said once it was heated it would be better, but I'm just not sure how well the heating and stretching will last with a synthetic boot.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My old Jacksons were the real leather and probably around 2014ish too. I didn't try the current Supremes. The store had very limited stock of pretty much anything in my size - basically the Debuts and a pair of Reidells that didn't work either. The Synergy I tried were too big for me, but it was just to give me a feel of the boot. They said once it was heated it would be better, but I'm just not sure how well the heating and stretching will last with a synthetic boot.
With your previous leather Elites, was one boot successfully stretched out 1 cm?

christy

On the Ice
With your previous leather Elites, was one boot successfully stretched out 1 cm?
No, they padded the toe of the boot with the shorter foot, but this new tech is thinking they can stretch a smaller boot, that fits the smaller foot, to fit the larger boot. I'd be more confident if they were trying to stretch a leather boot as I've seen it done in the past.

Lucie

Rinkside
No, they padded the toe of the boot with the shorter foot, but this new tech is thinking they can stretch a smaller boot, that fits the smaller foot, to fit the larger boot. I'd be more confident if they were trying to stretch a leather boot as I've seen it done in the past.
It sounds like you might need to go for a custom to both fit your feet, give you an appropriate stiffness and the features of your old boots that you liked. Given the synergy is around $850 that’s a lot to pay for a boot that isn’t right for you, and you might as well pay a bit extra to get something just right for you.

Last edited:

christy

On the Ice
It sounds like you might need to go for a custom to both fit your feet, give you an appropriate stiffness and the features of your old boots that you liked. Given the synergy is around $850 that’s a lot to pay for a boot that isn’t right for you, and you might as well pay a bit extra to get something just right for you.
I'm hoping that I can attend one of the major adult competitions and meet with Reidell to see if they can nake some custom boots for me. Also to talk to Jackson to see what options they offer for customs. I was looking to get some interim skates until I have the option to do that, which is why I was happy to try the Debuts, even if I think they're rather ugly :), and I so wanted them to work.

Lucie

Rinkside
I'm hoping that I can attend one of the major adult competitions and meet with Reidell to see if they can nake some custom boots for me. Also to talk to Jackson to see what options they offer for customs. I was looking to get some interim skates until I have the option to do that, which is why I was happy to try the Debuts, even if I think they're rather ugly :), and I so wanted them to work.
Ah ok! I’ve also seen some of your other posts now about the issues you’re having. For interim skates while you wait for customs I personally wouldn’t go for the synergy as they’re a lot more expensive than normal stock boots since they’re essentially a ‘stock’ rapid custom, and if they feel like they won’t work for you it’s not worth the risk. If it were me I’d do the same for your interim boots as you did for your old boots - to get a boot that fits the larger foot and pad the toe as I also wouldn’t be confident they could stretch a synthetic boot in length to that extent. If stock Jackson’s aren’t fitting well it sounds like you need to try Risport or Graf if you can find some, maybe look at some other shops/ fitters as it sounds like you’re not altogether happy with the ones you’ve been to and you need some other options.

christy

On the Ice
Ah ok! I’ve also seen some of your other posts now about the issues you’re having. For interim skates while you wait for customs I personally wouldn’t go for the synergy as they’re a lot more expensive than normal stock boots since they’re essentially a ‘stock’ rapid custom, and if they feel like they won’t work for you it’s not worth the risk. If it were me I’d do the same for your interim boots as you did for your old boots - to get a boot that fits the larger foot and pad the toe as I also wouldn’t be confident they could stretch a synthetic boot in length to that extent. If stock Jackson’s aren’t fitting well it sounds like you need to try Risport or Graf if you can find some, maybe look at some other shops/ fitters as it sounds like you’re not altogether happy with the ones you’ve been to and you need some other options.
I really liked the fitter I went to, and they took time to measure my feet properly, but they had so little stock in my size, and didn't carry Risport or Graf. I've called around all of the fitters within a weekend drive and only one carries Risport but has nothing in my size. I'll need to keep looking.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I really liked the fitter I went to, and they took time to measure my feet properly, but they had so little stock in my size, and didn't carry Risport or Graf. I've called around all of the fitters within a weekend drive and only one carries Risport but has nothing in my size. I'll need to keep looking.
Is an almost 4 hour drive out of the question? If it is do-able for you, I can suggest another fitter who should be able to help you with any brand. Otherwise, your best bet might be to just go for custom boots.

christy

On the Ice
Is an almost 4 hour drive out of the question? If it is do-able for you, I can suggest another fitter who should be able to help you with any brand. Otherwise, your best bet might be to just go for custom boots.
I'm open to suggestions. I've done more than a 20 hour round trip in the past.

christy

On the Ice
I actually got to try the Synergy Elite boots in the recommended size. They hadn't been heated. They were the correct length, however they would need to be punched out a small amount to accommodate my toes, but there was masses of space above my toes in the toe box and they were much too wide in the heel - both things that can't easily be changed by a bit of heat molding :cry:
Interestingly the fit was totally different to the Debuts I tried on, as the toe box of the Debuts felt tiny and the tongue of the Debuts pressed right into the top of my foot / toes.
I was also surprised that the boots were not only much too wide on the heel but seemed to get wider going up from the heel and didn't have any padding to help lock / hold the heel in place. I tried lacing them as tightly as I could but I could lift my heel a fair bit as there was nothing to hold it in place. I don't have a particularly narrow heel or ankle so it was a bit strange.
The skate tech said he couldn't make them narrower, and even if he did the little padding that was in the ankles would soon compress and mean I wouldn't have any support.