Jason Brown to be coached by Brian Orser | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown to be coached by Brian Orser

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wait you mean it hasn’t happened yet? I mean Yuzu’s been there a while! :biggrin:

I know right? :laugh: She’s only recently hit that age where she can put two and two together regarding the locations of where all her favourites train and who their coaches are.

Back on topic regarding Jason, I just wanted to say that I feel like his technical arsenal still has the capability to improve. I think he has it in him to gain at least a reliable 4T and perhaps even a 4S. He’s not over the hill yet by any means. If Mirai could learn a 3A in her 20s, it’s naive of us fans to assume that other veteran skaters like Jason can’t up their tech content as well. Let’s all stop being the glass is half empty types! Jason is certainly going to the right place: working with master Brian, alongside several of the prominent quad kings. :big-grin

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Every time I pop into goldenskate as of late, there’s always another wild thread like this, involving more skaters moving to the TCSCC, who also happen to be skaters whom my daughter fangirls... This means the likelihood of seeing me get arrested in the Toronto news after having to chase my child out of their private rink is becoming more and more of a reality. :laugh:

I do wonder which will be your 2nd child's favourite :laugh:, you sure will be one busy mom in terms of FS interests;)

But more seriously - better this kind of interest than another:)

pohatta

On the Ice
Back on topic regarding Jason, I just wanted to say that I feel like his technical arsenal still has the capability to improve. I think he has it in him to gain at least a reliable 4T and perhaps even a 4S. He’s not over the hill yet by any means. If Mirai could learn a 3A in her 20s, it’s naive of us fans to assume that other veteran skaters like Jason can’t up their tech content as well. Let’s all stop being the glass is half empty types! Jason is certainly going to the right place: working with master Brian, alongside several of the prominent quad kings. :big-grin

There have been some late blooming men doing quads in recent years. AFAIK, Valtter Virtanen landed his first 4T in big competitions at 29! And I presume he trains less now that he's practicing medicine. Jason needs more height in his jumps, though.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am late to the party so Jason has officially decided to go to Brian? Good for him but I can't understandwhy Canada doesn't send some of its top males to Brian. It really is so odd to see some great coaches in Canada and they seem to focus on international skaters. Its not like Canada doesn't have some prospects.

icetug

Medalist
I am late to the party so Jason has officially decided to go to Brian? Good for him but I can't understandwhy Canada doesn't send some of its top males to Brian. It really is so odd to see some great coaches in Canada and they seem to focus on international skaters. Its not like Canada doesn't have some prospects.
There are Canadian young males in TCC: Gogolev, Circelli, Waddel (he does both single and ice dance), lately Orzel. Nam Nguyen also was coached by Brian and Tracy, though he left.

synteis

Medalist
They do have several young Canadian skaters with Stephen Gogolev and Conrad Orzel. Who else would be sent there? Keagan Messing seems v happy with his coach; Roman Sadovsky? Joseph Phan? I guess they are happy with their coaching situation. Nam Nguyen has been there in the past but it didn't work out.

jFarrisFAN

On the Ice
They do have several young Canadian skaters with Stephen Gogolev and Conrad Orzel. Who else would be sent there? Keagan Messing seems v happy with his coach; Roman Sadovsky? Joseph Phan? I guess they are happy with their coaching situation. Nam Nguyen has been there in the past but it didn't work out.
Roman was at the cricket club but left after about a year to go back to his old coach.

Haleth

On the Ice

TSL said last week that they heard Joseph Phan is going there for a tryout. Doug Haw is their usual source for TCC things but still take with a grain of salt because...TSL.

If true it makes me wonder if Shingo or Corey are leaving, or maybe there's a novice man there who is leaving? However, Shingo said in an interview in Feb that Brian and Tracy were continuing as his coaches this season and was in town for the SOI (watched it). Corey is coached by Lee. I've not heard of him leaving, but you never know. Lee lost his pairs team (one retirement and the other is off to Cirque du Soleil) and Brian lost Elizabet and Alaine (iirc she came in only on Sat), and Javi is scaling back. But then Lee likely is the one coaching Conrad and ofc is part of Jason's team. So not sure who is looking at Joseph if that rumour is true.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
TSL said last week that they heard Joseph Phan is going there for a tryout. Doug Haw is their usual source for TCC things but still take with a grain of salt because...TSL.

If true it makes me wonder if Shingo or Corey are leaving, or maybe there's a novice man there who is leaving? However, Shingo said in an interview in Feb that Brian and Tracy were continuing as his coaches this season and was in town for the SOI (watched it). Corey is coached by Lee. I've not heard of him leaving, but you never know. Lee lost his pairs team (one retirement and the other is off to Cirque du Soleil) and Brian lost Elizabet and Alaine (iirc she came in only on Sat), and Javi is scaling back. But then Lee likely is the one coaching Conrad and ofc is part of Jason's team. So not sure who is looking at Joseph if that rumour is true.

Corey also does dance and he has a new partner for this season. So he won't leave TCC for sure, though he could decide to focus on ice dance only (I don't think he has yet however).

chillgil

Match Penalty
There have been some late blooming men doing quads in recent years. AFAIK, Valtter Virtanen landed his first 4T in big competitions at 29! And I presume he trains less now that he's practicing medicine. Jason needs more height in his jumps, though.

i think jason's problem is he rotates too slowly both in how fast he actually spins and on when he starts to rotate, i think his jump height is fine. Does anyone know how easy it is to fine-tune rotation speed? on a scale of 1-10?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Nam grew quite tall and I don´t remember seeing any really good results from him at his present coach? With Brian Orser he was 5th at Worlds at one time, IIRC.

synteis

Medalist
Nam grew quite tall and I don´t remember seeing any really good results from him at his present coach? With Brian Orser he was 5th at Worlds at one time, IIRC.

I wasn't saying that to bash the TCC or BOrser but rather to reflect the reality. From what I remember it was some conflict between his family and the coaching staff.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wasn't saying that to bash the TCC or BOrser but rather to reflect the reality. From what I remember it was some conflict between his family and the coaching staff.

Maybe I´m confusing to some other skater, but I have understood that the main reason was his girlfriend? He wanted to share a coach with her.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I wanted Jason to change something in his programs for some time. I love Rohene's choreography, but I wanted to see a different program for Jason, at least for once. I wonder if his jumping will improve with the new coaches. I am happy he changed coaches, though I couldn't see this coming at all. It looks like all moving skaters are drown to the same location. No it's not a black hole. It's worse, LOL.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe I´m confusing to some other skater, but I have understood that the main reason was his girlfriend? He wanted to share a coach with her.

I don't think she was really Nam's girlfriend, more that they were friends and people were shipping them big time. Also, I don't think their friendship was a factor in his decision to leave Orser, though it may have influenced his choice of next coach.

TGee

Record Breaker
I don't think she was really Nam's girlfriend, more that they were friends and people were shipping them big time. Also, I don't think their friendship was a factor in his decision to leave Orser, though it may have influenced his choice of next coach.
Agreed...

Nam seems to like to go out for ice cream and then post to Instagram...

And to pose with every pretty girl at a party and post...

Hard to read what it means when he's around a particular training mate or other.

But Nam and his parents have been shopping for winning formula for a while.

It's got to have been difficult to have been a prodigy skating at the Vancouver ceremonies.... Getting a national championship and top 5 at Worlds and then getting destabilized by a growth spurt of heroic proportions.

He needed to lose the cute Nam thing once he was taller than many of the other men, and he doesn't seem to have made progress on SS despite the TCC team's best efforts, so moving on made sense.

The problem is that, like Alaine, no one seems to have the formula to fix the underlying technical issues from their earliest coaches (in Nam's case Joanne McLeod) while sustaining and supporting them through physical and psychological maturity.

Which underscores that the "you can fix that later" philosophy seems really disconnected from the reality of body memory.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Would someone be kind enough to explain to me how cricket became merged with two ice sports? (The curling and skating)
I know gymnastics gyms will incorporate dance and cheer into their clubs, but...cricket? Is everything part of a huge facility where the players do their indoor training or something? Or do they all share the same gymnasium facilities?

As for Jason, I think he seems like such a softie (in a good way), I imagine it’ll suit him being in an environment that appears quite team-like and friendly. Wonder if he’ll do anything like Hubbell/Donohue in terms of tracking his work using spreadsheets etc to ensure support is given to him by the US federation.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Would someone be kind enough to explain to me how cricket became merged with two ice sports? (The curling and skating)
I know gymnastics gyms will incorporate dance and cheer into their clubs, but...cricket? Is everything part of a huge facility where the players do their indoor training or something? Or do they all share the same gymnasium facilities?

As for Jason, I think he seems like such a softie (in a good way), I imagine it’ll suit him being in an environment that appears quite team-like and friendly. Wonder if he’ll do anything like Hubbell/Donohue in terms of tracking his work using spreadsheets etc to ensure support is given to him by the US federation.

From their website: http://www.torontocricketclub.com/web/pages/history-of-the-club

The history of Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club dates back to 1827, when the Toronto Cricket Club was founded. The Toronto Curling Club was organized in 1836 and the Toronto Skating Club sometime in the mid-eighteen hundreds. In 1957 these three clubs amalgamated into the successful family club it is today.

The merger was seen as beneficial for the memberships of all the clubs. The Toronto Cricket Club had struggled financially since the 1930s; the Toronto Skating Club had outgrown its premises on Dupont Street and both operated on a seasonal basis. By joining forces the new club could remain open all year-round.

After months of negotiations and careful planning by both clubs another proposal came forward. The Toronto – Victoria Curling and Bowling Club was looking for a new facility after the Club's property was expropriated by the expanding University of Toronto. On April 10, 1957 the membership voted unanimously to further the recent merge with the third club and call the new entity the Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club.