Kim Yuna and the Korean art of suffering | Golden Skate

Kim Yuna and the Korean art of suffering

Taan

On the Ice
Kim Yuna and the Korean art of suffering:cry:
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...4/skating-kim-yuna-korean-suffering-han-sochi
Back home, a throng of Korean writers have proclaimed that Kim Yuna’s tears have triggered a kind of collective national mourning called "Han."

Han is a feeling of unresolved sorrow, torment and resignation in the face of injustice. It is culturally unique, unfathomable to outsiders, some Koreans say, although a few scholars believe it has Indian or East Asian roots.

So powerful is this force that medical anthropologists have noted it can be accompanied by dizziness and a weight in the gut. The affliction can be brought about by the death of a loved one or a terrible divorce.
:cry:

Allen

Match Penalty
Well, I've heard that her tears just mean feeling much better by ending her career finally...but maybe it's 'HAN'...
Anyway, Yuna should have won. That's justice

MiRé

Match Penalty
So we have happy Russians vs unhappy Koreans. Sorry, in sports a win is always at the expense of the loser. There is no other way. Unless we give gold medals to everyone for participations! :laugh:

A cheated win is not a win, rather an embarassment

zschultz1986

Final Flight
This whole drama is getting embarrassing for all parties involved. It's over. Move on.

It should only be embarrassing to the judges and the tech caller who gave Sotnikova that gold over more deserving skates. Also, the ISU for burying it's head in the sand and telling us "the sky is all clear," and allowing this corruption to go on.

moviechick

On the Ice
It should only be embarrassing to the judges and the tech caller who gave Sotnikova that gold over more deserving skates. Also, the ISU for burying it's head in the sand and telling us "the sky is all clear," and allowing this corruption to go on.

Declaring a national mourning over a dumb sports result is pretty embarrassing.

zschultz1986

Final Flight

She's pretty much an icon and the most famous person over there. It may be dumb to you, but to them, it most certainly is not.

Who put you on a pedestal to judge the culture of others?

Manitou

Medalist
A cheated win is not a win, rather an embarassment

How about sending Yuna a trophy for participation :). According to Baron de Cubertin she should be happy - she participated! So what is the issue about??!! lol

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

It is, sort of. However, Google "US basketball Munich 1972" -- the US came pretty close to going into mourning over that one and the team still hasn't accepted its medals.

moviechick

On the Ice
She's pretty much an icon and the most famous person over there. It may be dumb to you, but to them, it most certainly is not.

Who put you on a pedestal to judge the culture of others?

It's an extremely over the top reaction to an event that in the scheme of things is not that grave. It's not like she died.

Allen

Match Penalty
How about sending Yuna a trophy for participation. According to Baron de Cubertin she should be happy - she participated! So what is the issue about??!! :)

Shame for gold with Putin and Russian Judges and flutz, underrotate, mess up a jump, two foot landing...LOL

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
So we have happy Russians vs unhappy Koreans. Sorry, in sports a win is always at the expense of the loser. There is no other way. Unless we give gold medals to everyone for participations! :laugh:

I hope your country will lose football (I mean soccer) World Cup in penalties.
Note: I haven't said anything bad! It's just sport, isn't it?

zschultz1986

Final Flight
It's an extremely over the top reaction to an event that in the scheme of things is not that grave. It's not like she died.

Maybe in your estimation it is, over the top, but, it's how they (many Koreans) feel. I think some of Yuna's more rabid fans have taken the wrong tack with the online bullying of Sotnikova, but mourning is a perfectly fine expression of emotion. I mourned for a bit when Kwan lost in 98 and 02...

Manitou

Medalist
I hope your country will lose football (I mean soccer) World Cup in penalties.
Note: I haven't said anything bad! It's just sport, isn't it?

Haha, my country is so bad in soccer they don't even get to penalties! :laugh:

Ven

Match Penalty
Wow, there are very culturally insensitive, I would even argue racist replies in this thread.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Actually, as long as this is a forum, everyone has the right to say anything (of course, some respect and tolerance are advisable ;) ).
As I said in many threads, Yuna should have won, but there's nothing we can do right now. That's it. I am more sad that she retired and I won't see her skating anymore than that she did not win another gold medal.

roxella

On the Ice
I am more sad that she retired and I won't see her skating anymore than that she did not win another gold medal.

Same here :agree: But I really think that she needs some time to rest...she has been in the spotlight for the past 7-8 years and I believe that she wants some time for herself :) Of course,I would be more than happy if she decides to come back in 1-2 years,but I don't think this is possible :(