Kristi vs. Michelle--at their best... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kristi vs. Michelle--at their best...

davesato

Spectator
I didn't read all the posts, but i'm sure somebody said this already.

Have we seen Michelle's best yet? She continues to amaze us.

apache88

On the Ice
This is the kind of topic I love most - comparison. Ok, being a non-skating fan who has watched millions of Michelle's performances and some of Kristi's, allow me to offer my personal opinion (strictly from a sports analyst's point of view). I rely very much on probability which makes sense, in any sport, that's how bookmakers determine the odds.

Let's take a look at 2 types of comparison here, MK vs Kristi in general and MK's best vs Krsiti's best.

1) Michelle vs Kristi in general.

Let's say Kristi had extended her amateur career to 10 years to match Michelle's for better comparison. I'd go with Michelle. Technically, I'd give it to Michelle despite Kristi's much more difficult 3z/3t. Why? Let's look at probability. How many times had Kristi landed that combo from 89-92? How many times had she landed 6+ triples? What's the probability of Kristi landing the dreaded 3S? Very very low. She'd have had to deal with Michelle who has landed 41 6+ triples (with or without 3/3) in a span of 10 years! That's 4 per year! I talk about triples only because this is the only element I'm familiar with and it's also the most important determining factor for the technical marks, all others being close or equal. As for other technical elements (which I have too little knowledge to compare), some posters have already given the edge to Michelle.

As for presentation, it's highly subjective. However, this is what has helped Michelle win many many major competitions and fend off rather successfully from the likes of Tara, Irina, Sarah and Sasha. There's no doubt here that the judges have loved Michelle's presentation. With this, I'd go with Michelle, Kristi was great in presentation notwithstanding. It would be close.

Lastly, what is the probability of

a) Michelle delivering clean LPs that are close to perfection in both technique and presentation compared to Kristi?
b) Michelle delivering back-to-back clean SP and LP compared to Kristi?

For both a and b, it's definitely Michelle. Hence, overall in this category MK vs Kristi in general, it's Michelle the better skater.

2) Best vs Best
It's very difficult to have a situation of best vs best simply because the probability of Michelle of delivering her perfect performance is much higher than Kristi. Let's do it for hypothetical purpose.

Ok this is tough to determine. Kristi's best would have 7 triples with 3z/3t and excellent presentation. Michelle, 7 triples with 3t/3t with excellent presentation + turning the house into complete madness. Tough call, but since I have to take a pick, it'd be Michelle again but with a 5/4 split. You can say I'm biased here.:p

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
apache88, you said exactly what I want to say. Especially in you probability analysis of 'Michelle vs Kristi in general'. Only you expressed much better than I could've done. That's the analysis based on some scientific assumption.

heyang

Record Breaker
I love both skaters.

Yes - MK can bring the house down just by stepping on the ice, but that's part of her longevity at the eligible level. She's accumulated so many fans compared to any other skater.

It might be fairer to compare Kristi's eligible career vs MK's early eligible career - compare Kristi's years 1991-1992 at the top to MK's 96-98 or MK's 2000-2002 season. Just a suggestion.

At Nationals, I'd probably give the performance to MK at 98 Nats and Kristi at 2002 Nats. Oly's are tougher. Both skated well during SP's (Kristi's Blue Danube still stands out in my mind as one of the best SP's ever, but MK's Rach rocked, too!) I believe Kristi had a hand down on a jump and doubled another during her LP. MK had a wonky landing on a jump in her 98 LP; her biggest flaw that night was skating contained within herself. So - 92 vs 98 Oly's is a tough one for me. Oh, forget this....there's no way to compare.

On an emotional level, Michelle has given more during her eligible career than Kristi.

I won't compare styles because of the restrictions on MK due to her remaining eligible. Generally, today's eligible usually has stronger artistic presentation than Kristi's generation because of all the touring.

So, I don't have an answer. They're both wonderful.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Olympic Performances

If we are comparing Olympics performances, Kristi would definitely have finished behind Kwan in 1998. Kwan's performance to Lyra Angelica would have blown Kristi out of the water.

However in 2002 it's a different story. Both women landed 5 triples and had one fall. However, Kristi's program included a 3/3 and was loaded with in-betweens. Michelle's performance seemed as flat as her choreography at that Olympics. The judges would have placed Kristi ahead.

Hermione_Granger

On the Ice
This is a difficult choice. I like both Kristi and Michelle and
I think they're both excellent skaters. Both are very graceful
and have wonderful personalities, but I was too young to remember Kristi as an eligible, and so (since I'm alittle bit
biased anyway) my vote is for Michelle. :) I love Michelle's
Fields of Gold program. :love:
Btw, did anyone see Kristi's baby when she was on the
Today Show ? Isn't she adorable ? :love:

--Hermione

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Can anyone explain to me the concept behind this comercial?

Is it just 2 well know skaters saying that they think hockey is cool?

Are Wayne Gretski and whoever's the top hockey player now gonna do a comercial promoting figure skating? I doubt it.

Is it an attempt to get women to join in in their guy's favorite sport?

Was it filmed before MK and Brad broke up?

Enquiring minds want to know.:laugh:

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
That's cool. I remember the ESPN (or was it NFL?) commercial Michelle did with Kevin Garnett and thought that was quite funny.