Kristi Yamaguchi reflects on life at 50 | Golden Skate

Kristi Yamaguchi reflects on life at 50

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for sharing that! Can't believe it's been 30 years!

I was at the grocery store last week wearing a US Figure Skating shirt and have never had anyone comment on it before, but the bag boy saw it and said "Who's your favorite figure skater?" He then said "it's Michelle Kwan, right?" I said "No, it's Kristi Yamaguchi." He said oh "Kristi Yamaguchi", then he paused for a while before saying "Is she a recent skater?" I politely said, "No, from long ago." I should have scolded him for not knowing the great Kristi Yamaguchi!!! And for making me feel old ha ha!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for sharing that! Can't believe it's been 30 years!

I was at the grocery store last week wearing a US Figure Skating shirt and have never had anyone comment on it before, but the bag boy saw it and said "Who's your favorite figure skater?" He then said "it's Michelle Kwan, right?" I said "No, it's Kristi Yamaguchi." He said oh "Kristi Yamaguchi", then he paused for a while before saying "Is she a recent skater?" I politely said, "No, from long ago." I should have scolded him for not knowing the great Kristi Yamaguchi!!! And for making me feel old ha ha!
If I were forced to pick just one favorite, Kristi would probably be the one!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great story, although I am :rolleye: at the click bait headline, which is not the focus of the story, but of Kristi's post skating accomplishments.

Loved this quote:

“It was different for me – finding skating, and a path to success when I was so young, is not typical,” Yamaguchi said. “My husband and I both wanted to let our daughters find their own path at their own time and encourage them to try a lot of things to see what sparked their interest.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Found some click bate that talks about many skaters and what became of them. Didnt realize that Midori Ito returned to skating in the adult world. In the 11 years between 1981 and 1992, Ito became the first woman to land a triple-triple jump combination, a double loop-triple loop combination (in the short program), five different triple jumps in a competition, a triple Axel in competition, six different triple jumps in competition, and the first woman to land a triple Axel in the Olympics. That’s not bad going! In a rare post-retirement return to competitive skating, Ito entered the ISU Adult Figure Skating Competitions in 2011, 2012, and 2013, in the Ladies' Masters Elite II.category. The first two years she won silver. In her final year, she took the gold medal by a 12 point margin.
60d99eda30757.jpg

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Found some click bate that talks about many skaters and what became of them. Didnt realize that Midori Ito returned to skating in the adult world. In the 11 years between 1981 and 1992, Ito became the first woman to land a triple-triple jump combination, a double loop-triple loop combination (in the short program), five different triple jumps in a competition, a triple Axel in competition, six different triple jumps in competition, and the first woman to land a triple Axel in the Olympics. That’s not bad going! In a rare post-retirement return to competitive skating, Ito entered the ISU Adult Figure Skating Competitions in 2011, 2012, and 2013, in the Ladies' Masters Elite II.category. The first two years she won silver. In her final year, she took the gold medal by a 12 point margin.
60d99eda30757.jpg

Midori is just so cool...I know vaguely that she coaches in Kyushu, but she keeps a relatively low profile other than the odd media appearance considering her achievements.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Midori is just so cool...I know vaguely that she coaches in Kyushu, but she keeps a relatively low profile other than the odd media appearance considering her achievements.
She is a hoot on instagram. Watch her 2019 adult worlds program on Youtube. Love watching her and Fumie Suguri on youtube. She is a hoot also on instagram....
Midori ito worlds.jpg

midori ito.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Kristi's absolutely right about keeping physically fit to help with mental and physical effects of aging. I try to get 2 hours of physical activity/work a day around the ranch but some days it goes much longer....My 68 year old wife runs so she can still compete in dog agility....but today I have her helping me around the ranch.... ;) She is perfect except she has terrible taste in men.:rofl:
a slave labor.jpg

redmond.jpg

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a very nice piece on Kristi Yamaguchi.

She was so elegant, a deserving champion. At the beginning of her career, she was viewed as the "jumping bean" (as was Michelle Kwan) and this gives me hope that some of the skaters competing today can evolve, too.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker