Ladies SP -- Discuss and share live PBP here! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP -- Discuss and share live PBP here!

McWicked

On the Ice
I dont see any problem with the score, truth is Yuna popped a jump, an important one, but she did the combination and the 2A and all of her spins, her mark wasnt that high anyway, if she had been clean like in SA, remember how high her mark was?

hazey

Rinkside
It's about time for Mao to ditch that 3f-3r and go for 3f-3t in the short. She would've scored 70+ had she gone for toe-loop combo. I had said this about Rachael as well. I don't get it why they stick to loop combo when they have perfectly legit toe combo at their disposal.
I second this; Mao actually got her 3F-3T combo so stable at the end of last season that she got +GoE for it, while her 3F-3L is still problematic.

Wrlmy

Medalist
I agree with you. I would like to see Mao go for a 3flip/3toe instead or she can maybe go for 3 flip/2loop, 3 lutz(or 3loop) and 3 axel in SP? I mean her 3 axel is more consistant than her 3 flip/3loop. Is that allowed for ladies?

2a is mandatory in ladies short. But Mao can go for a layout like 3a-2t, 3lz (or 3f), 2a. 3a-2t has a base value of about 10, which is actually higher than 3f-3t. So if the combo is more consistent for her, she should go for it.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I wouldn't be surprised if Mao ditched the 3F-3Lo tomorrow for a 3F-2Lo-2Lo... she can probably get more points from it with +GOEs than the negative marks she would most likely get for going for the 3Lo.

As for PCS scores... Mao's PCS's were all lower (except one tied, skating skills) than her NHK SP... a bit strange considering this was her SB score in the SP otherwise.

ks777

Record Breaker
2a is mandatory in ladies short. But Mao can go for a layout like 3a-2t, 3lz (or 3f), 2a. 3a-2t has a base value of about 10, which is actually higher than 3f-3t. So if the combo is more consistent for her, she should go for it.
There you go. I hope Mao goes for 3a-2t, 3f, 2a intead. or 3f-3t, 3l(or 3R), 2a. She really should test it out and see which ones gets more ratified.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice

With more ladies being able to do a triple axel now or having landed it (Mao, Yukari, etc.)... I think they should allow a choice between the 2A and 3A in the Ladies SP. There is a lot of risk in attempting it in the short, since there aren't as many other ways to gain back points if you miss the jump compared to the FS. It would be nice to see more variation that way, since to be a top skater, you almost NEED to have a 3-3 in the SP. With so many ladies basically doing the same combinations of jumps 3F, 3T or 3R as the second jump in a sequence, 3Lz, and of course the 2A... it would be nice to add variety and allow for a 3A or 2A.

hazey

Rinkside
Yu-na cried due to the pressure. (poor thing)
I totally forgot to commend Yuna for her guts to pull out a beautiful 3F-3T in the midst of such pressure. It's her first time skating in front of so many (really enthusiastic) fans at home at such a big competition, right? :rock:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
With more ladies being able to do a triple axel now or having landed it (Mao, Yukari, etc.)... I think they should allow a choice between the 2A and 3A in the Ladies SP. There is a lot of risk in attempting it in the short, since there aren't as many other ways to gain back points if you miss the jump compared to the FS. It would be nice to see more variation that way, since to be a top skater, you almost NEED to have a 3-3 in the SP. With so many ladies basically doing the same combinations of jumps 3F, 3T or 3R as the second jump in a sequence, 3Lz, and of course the 2A... it would be nice to add variety and allow for a 3A or 2A.
ITA. I'd also love for the ladies to have a choice between a spiral sequence and a second step sequence. We need more variety!

yunaddiction

Rinkside
Yuna is only lady for successful 3-3 tonight.
Her 3-3 got 11.5 which is quite reasonable point.
Great job!
Without her singled lutz, she could have made another history.:clap::clap::clap:
About her artistry & musicality, no need to talk any more....:love:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
For PCS scores for the Ladies...

Yu-Na matched her SB PCS score exactly (30.44)
Every other skater was marked below the best PCS marks they could have received (judging from combining their best components from their two previous GP events), except for Carolina Kostner who scored better in her PCS components at the GPF than her CoR SP.

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
ITA. I'd also love for the ladies to have a choice between a spiral sequence and a second step sequence. We need more variety!

Agreed there too. Especially for skaters like Carolina Kostner who can deliver a great step sequence but just don't have the flexibility for (I guess for lack of a better word) "pretty" spiral sequences.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Yu-Na's score is actually reasonable. But I have problem with Mao's low pcs. Or did she give up a few pcs points by not being the 1st qualifier? In the beginning of the season, I thought the judges were more liberal with giving out pcs, but now not so much.

ks777

Record Breaker
Yu-Na's score is actually reasonable. But I have problem with Mao's low pcs. Or did she give up a few pcs points by not being the 1st qualifier? In the beginning of the season, I thought the judges were more liberal with giving out pcs, but now not so much.

I think Yuna got higher PCS because she got standing ovation.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I think Yuna got higher PCS because she got standing ovation.
Or perhaps the program is just better? I still think so. Mao's program is the same she had last season and the season before, very generic to pretty music. Kim's program is unique, extraordinary... Luckily, it's the other way around for the LP (in my humble opinion of course).

SXTN

Final Flight
I think all Mao fans shouldn't worry too much... I think she looks very well prepared - with or without underrotations.. She has always blown the house down with her freeskate. Yuna looked very nervous, so I don't know if she can keep it together tomorrow... especially because she knows she only leads by a small margin and Mao's FP can score much higher when skated clean... Should be exciting..
Yukari was wonderful, Carolina landed the Lutz to my suprise, Ando is one of my least favorite skaters ( so no comment) and Joannie felt the pressure...

gold12345

Medalist
The fact that we have to wait for protocols to try to understand this result is what is wrong with the current scoring system. The audience watching the skating live isn't looking at and analyzing protocols... They see the performance on the ice, and the performance is what should determine the results, not some number crunching. I don't think it should matter that Yu-Na's 3-3 was credited and Mao's was not... Yu-Na missed a major element while Mao completed all the elements. We need a scoring system that can reflect this.

hazey

Rinkside
I think all Mao fans shouldn't worry too much... I think she looks very well prepared - with or without underrotations.. She has always blown the house down with her freeskate. Yuna looked very nervous, so I don't know if she can keep it together tomorrow... especially because she knows she only leads by a small margin and Mao's FP can score much higher when skated clean... Should be exciting..
Yukari was wonderful, Carolina landed the Lutz to my suprise, Ando is one of my least favorite skaters ( so no comment) and Joannie felt the pressure...
I don't know if only Mao fans are worried, but I'm quite sure that at the back of many people's minds is *if* Mao can even do 2 fully-rotated well-landed 3As. She has also blown it in the free skate a couple of times, most recently in Paris. Plus Mao is probably throwing away points by planning a 3F-3R when she has problems fully rotating the 3R.

If by some miracle Mao changes 3F-3R to 3F-2R-2R, I would also like to see the solo 3S replaced by 3R.

My guess is that people are concerned about Mao's LP because she would either (1) blow the house down or (2) blow it. While Yuna has been quite consistent in her LP when injury-free except one or two glitches.