Ladies sp | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Ladies sp

McWicked

On the Ice
hahahaha am I the only one that noticed Yuna made the sign of the cross b4 her SP??? Nobody else found it funny??? I didnt expect her 2b a xtian.

I correct, she also did it b4 her LP.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
I saw the short,
To me Mirai's outfit looked to similar to Caroline Zhangs last year.

Rachels short looked juniorish. But because she is skating like a 15 year old , it looked like a 15 year old skating.
Mirai looked like a 15 year old skating.

Kimmie should emote more as well as Miki.
Yu na did fine and Yukari did fine as well.

McWicked

On the Ice
She converted to Catholicism quite recently. I'm not quite sure why you should find that so amusing.

I dont find it that amusin, just that didnt expect her 2do that... it took me by surprise coz i didnt know she was a xtian & it's the 1st time I saw her do that.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Not to add fuel to the fire, but is this clip legit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uX-0ncoEjU

The 3T does look cheated in that clip. She appears to complete quite a bit of the turn on the ice. Or has the video been altered, and is it being used as propaganda in the Japan v. Korea war?

The 3T isn't cheated at all. The toepick leaves the ice facing the back board and the blade lands facing completely away from the back board. That is 2.5 rotations in the air, which is excellent. The minimum air rotation for a Triple jump is 2.25 turns, remember.

HCOSurfer

Final Flight
The 3T isn't cheated at all. The toepick leaves the ice facing the back board and the blade lands facing completely away from the back board. That is 2.5 rotations in the air, which is excellent. The minimum air rotation for a Triple jump is 2.25 turns, remember.

Are you making up these rules? A triple must me a minimum of 2.75 rotations, therefore you're saying she DID under rotate buy only completing 2.5 rotations.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I understand how confusing this must be. After all, the rules themselves don't even define the specifics nearly enough.

It is common for jumps to not leave the ice until a half-turn into the start of the body rotating. The amount of rotation IN THE AIR for any jump is less than what the name of that jump is - no Quad is 4 rotations in the air, no Triple Axel is 3.5 rotations in the air, and no other Triple is 3 rotations in the air, unless you're Kurt Browning and have a very difficult technique on your Triple Lutz and Triple Flip, whereby the toepick leaves the ice straight forward (his technique on the Lutz especially was why that jump happened to be so inconsistent for him, IMO).

Since jumps often don't actually leave the ice until half a turn in, and since jumps are allowed 1/4 turn of rotation leeway, the minimum total amount of rotation in the air for any jump is .75 turns less than the actual name of the jump.

2.5 rotations in the air on a Triple is very good. You've done more than the bare minimum. Yu-Na's 3-3 is so amazing because the speed + height + distance + rotation + flow are all top notch.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Well the problem is that the rules don't define where a jump starts. People who pre-rotate less aren't given any extra leeway on the landing. (although in the case of Miki, I do think that 3Loop in combination during her LP was a bit less than 2.25 rotations in the air).

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty

Well, you have officially lost all credibility in my eyes in terms of skating knowledge. Minimum air rotation for a triple jump is 2 3/4 rotations in the air, and no less.

Minimum air rotation for a triple jump is 2 3/4 rotations in the air, and no less.
But the problem is that in almost 100% of all jumps, the blade is turning on the ice during the take-off. There is always a LOT of rotation before the blade actually lifts off. This isn't dinged for pre-rotation, it's just the physics of jumping.

Or so it seems to me from watching lots and lots of excellent jumpers.

AwesomeIce

Match Penalty
But the problem is that in almost 100% of all jumps, the blade is turning on the ice during the take-off. There is always a LOT of rotation before the blade actually lifts off. This isn't dinged for pre-rotation, it's just the physics of jumping.

There shouldn't be a lot of pre-rotation on the ice. That is just another example of either poor technique, or of skaters trying to pull off jumps that they are either not strong enough or not talented enough to do correctly. IMO it should be dinged just as much as rotating on the ice at the tail end of a jump.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Well, you have officially lost all credibility in my eyes in terms of skating knowledge. Minimum air rotation for a triple jump is 2 3/4 rotations in the air, and no less.

You need to watch jumps more closely.

I dare you to find me a 3Loop, 3Sal, or 3Toe (in combo) that is 2.75 rotations in the air.

Or a Quad that is 3.75 rotations in the air.

There shouldn't be a lot of pre-rotation on the ice. That is just another example of either poor technique, or of skaters trying to pull off jumps that they are either not strong enough or not talented enough to do correctly.

Every skater that has ever existed has had poor technique, according to your notion.

Last edited:

True, but not every skater prerotates on the ice before lifting off. YuNa lands a jump and jumps immediately for the combo. No slow rotation on ice till it becomes comfortable as do some of the excellent jumpers.

BTW. I believe a Triple is defined by 3 full turns in the air, however, in figure skating I believe one needs only do 2.75 turns and avoid the dreaded UR.

Nakamura

Spectator
The TV-stations in my country skipped over Mira’s FS of Skate America 2008.
I hope any one puts up the vides on YouTube.