Laura Barquero tests positive for banned substance | Golden Skate

Laura Barquero tests positive for banned substance

Smith16

Rinkside
Spanish figure skater Laura Barquero tested positive for a prohibited substance during the Beijing Winter Olympics, the International Testing Agency (ITA) said on Tuesday.

The ITA said Barquero returned an adverse analytical finding for a metabolite of Clostebol, which is on the prohibited list of the World Anti-Doping Agency.

The sample was collected under the testing authority of the International Olympic Committee in an in-competition anti-doping control on Feb. 18 during the pairs skating short programme.

"The athlete has been informed of the case. She has the right to request the analysis of the B-sample," the ITA said in a statement, adding the matter will be referred to the Anti-Doping Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The 20-year-old Barquero and her partner Marco Zandron finished 11th in the pairs skating short programme.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Don't these athletes know if they're using a banned substance. I'm not buying that they used lipstick and then tested positive for a banned substance. I remember when inhalers began to contain steroids and we were told about it immediately. I have a hard time believing these skaters don't know what they're doing.

Last edited:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
So of course, she will still be allowed to skate at Worlds, correct? That is the precedent that has been set in the Valieva case.
The cases aren’t similar enough to set a precedent. In the case of Valieva, the result of the “A” test came in the midst of competition; there was not time to do the usual recheck via the “B” sample. And unless that one is negative, she’ll be suspended and out of Worlds. In the case of Barquero, there is a month before Worlds & plenty of time to test the “B” sample. If the positive is confirmed, she’ll also be suspended and out of Worlds.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
No, according to PharmaWiki it is a substance contained in Trofidermin creme for treating small injuries.
Ok, I just repeated what I read from local media. I should be more accurate, because Finnish journalist don't often do their background investigations carefully enough. I am not saying if I believe or not to Johaug's explanation, I try to be neutral.

mrrice

Record Breaker
So i presume we will see lot of outrage about that from media and former and current skaters as well. They will call her cheater, they will tell how disgusting this is, they will demand her to be banned for life.
Right? Right?
This will most likely remain a local thing. This girl didn't knock anyone off the Olympic Podium and that's the biggest difference between Kamila and this young lady. Kamila was National and European Champion as well as the HEAVY favorite leading into the Olympics. I follow skating and I have never heard of this young woman.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Good news is that she can just say she accidentally used a lip balm with it on it.
So of course, she will still be allowed to skate at Worlds, correct? That is the precedent that has been set in the Valieva case.
Reminder Valieva did not have positive results during Olympics.

Also, this is an anabolic steroid which was used in DDR systematically, a bit different from something that's not been proven to give any advantage.

Historically, sanctions have been on a different level as well.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Ouch, sorry to hear that. For the time being, I am willing to give both Valieva and Barquero the benefit of the doubt (although the contamination explanation in Valieva's case made me very disappointed). I hope WADA deals with both cases swiftly as justly.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Clostebol is a synthetic anabolic-androgenic steroid, a derivative of the natural hormone testosterone. Clostebol is a Schedule III controlled substance used medically in topical ophthalmologic and dermatologic treatments. Due to potential use as a performance-enhancing drug, clostebol is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

The above is from this article found on the website of NCATS Inxight Drugs, which is part of the US National Institutes of Health:

From the bottom of my ❤️, I hope that there's a good explanation for this and that the athlete can be cleared. Same for Kamila -- in her case, hoping for a much better explanation than the drinking glass.