Lipnitskaya vs. Edmunds | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya vs. Edmunds

Skategmt

On the Ice
I know their has been some opinions on who is better. I think Polina has more talent, but I feel the Russian Federation puts more "effort" into Yulia than the USFSA puts into Polina. Also, I think Yulia's flexibility makes her stand out more.

On a side note, I noticed Polina doe a spin no other Senior lady does. It is a backspin and she stands upright holding her blade of her free leg. Polina doesn't do the spin Yulia does (and several other Senior ladies do it as well). It as a spin where she extends her leg into a straight into the air by her head. What level spins are these? Because if Polina's is only a level three and Yulia's spin is a level four, that can explain why she scores a but higher generally than Polina.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think it's more like Yulia has paid more effort into her own skating than Polina. Yulia is home-schooled, her mind is mostly on practice, while Polina has school. There is nothing wrong with that, just different choices.

Amei

Record Breaker
I know their has been some opinions on who os better. I think Polina has more talent, but I feel the Russian Federation puts more "effort" into Yulia than the USFSA puys into Polina.

I disagree with this - below is a link to an article that came out around the Olympics about Yulia and support from her Fed.

http://fskating.com/2014/02/republic-of-julia-famous-unknown-lipnitskaia.html

Unlike some from the “state-made” field, she never had influential patrons among the elite of the Russian skating federation. She never had special conditions for her Olympic preparation. She never got special advices from experts of sporting research institutions and she never had huge financial sources.

lso, I think Yulia's flexibility makes her stand out more.

Yulia stands out because of her flexibility (especially spins) and her consistency.

YLFan

Match Penalty
Yulia has a attained a certain position in this sport by being a very consistent winner. Why should she be compared to girls that have never won or even been on an international podium.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Yulia has a attained a certain position in this sport by being a very consistent winner. Why should she be compared to girls that have never won or even been on an international podium.

Polina hasn't gotten a chance to stand on an international stage as a senior until recently so that's an unfair comparison, in the US there are many senior girls who are of age to compete internationally while in Russia the influx of female skaters only happened in the last quad. they had different opportunities, they're being compared because they're both young and at a similar skill level

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Julia has her flexibility as a wow factor. Some people are in awe of it while others hate it. Her jumps may not be ideal but they're mostly rotated and consistent. Polina's skating is all-round nice but she doesn't have anything that really stands out yet. I like both of them but right now I'm more drawn to Julia, maybe because she's had more exposure and I just love her personality. Polina is very reminiscent of Carolina Kostner so there's definitely great potential there. I don't think it's an issue of talent because at that level they're all extremely talented. What determines the level of a combination spin is the number of features that are met. I don't remember the spin you mentioned Polina doing but she does do an outside edge Biellmann that's unusual. I think the spin you mentioned Julia's doing is an I-spin.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Two enormously talented rising stars with vastly contrasting styles,stories, and experience. Why choose only one when you could just enjoy both? :confused2:

YLFan

Match Penalty
I look at it like say comparing Adian Pitkeev or something to Hanyu.

Its basically a propaganda technique of trying to build a name for someone by continually comparing them to someone that has achieved much more.

Amei

Record Breaker
Julia has her flexibility as a wow factor. Some people are in awe of it while others hate it. Her jumps may not be ideal but they're mostly rotated and consistent. Polina's skating is all-round nice but she doesn't have anything that really stands out yet. I like both of them but right now I'm more drawn to Julia, maybe because she's had more exposure and I just love her personality. Polina is very reminiscent of Carolina Kostner so there's definitely great potential there. An individual spin doesn't have a level. What determines the level of a combination spin is the number of features that are met. I don't remember the spin you mentioned Polina doing but she does do an outside edge Biellmann that's unusual. I think the spin you mentioned Julia's doing is an I-spin.

Agree - she's a good skater, but in her limited time on the senior circuit she doesn't have something that is a wow factor for her, that makes her stand out from her competitors, whether it be jumps, spins or artistry. But Polina has time - I think the focus of the media for the US ladies this year will be Gracie, where she will be able to develop her skating more without a huge spotlight on her and a huge pressure to be the #1 skater for the US

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Julia has her flexibility as a wow factor. Some people are in awe of it while others hate it. Her jumps may not be ideal but they're mostly rotated and consistent. Polina's skating is all-round nice but she doesn't have anything that really stands out yet. I like both of them but right now I'm more drawn to Julia, maybe because she's had more exposure and I just love her personality. Polina is very reminiscent of Carolina Kostner so there's definitely great potential there. I don't think it's an issue of talent because at that level they're all extremely talented. What determines the level of a combination spin is the number of features that are met. I don't remember the spin you mentioned Polina doing but she does do an outside edge Biellmann that's unusual. I think the spin you mentioned Julia's doing is an I-spin.

Lots of skaters do I-spins, just that Yulia's is seriously wow at how she speeds up the rotation, I believe it's her layback spin that no other lady (or very very few) does right now, when she brings it to an upright position she's does it with an incredible extension with a straight leg (not my favourite but still wow) instead of the classic Biellmann.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lots of skaters do I-spins, just that Yulia's is seriously wow at how she speeds up the rotation, I believe it's her layback spin that no other lady (or very very few) does right now, when she brings it to an upright position she's does it with an incredible extension with a straight leg (not my favourite but still wow) instead of the classic Biellmann.

Brooklee does a great layback!! The layback itself may in fact be better. I'd say the fact the Yulia can exit those crazy spins with a smooth transition back into choreo with zero hesitation from insane positions is what seperates her from other good spinners.

unico

Final Flight
Disagree that Edmunds doesn't have anything that stands out, I think her musicality and arm movements make her stand out above most of the field, she just hasn't had a program with a lot of "impact". Lipnitskaya's flexibility makes her overall skating more memorable because she has those unique moments with her crazy spins. Not exactly a fair comparison between the two because Lipnitskaya has already had a signature program that played to her strengths (Schindler's List), and of course the exposure/competitive results.

Anyway, both extremely talented with incredible potential for the future yada yada yada, my preference in overall skating just falls towards Edmunds. (Then again, I loved Kostner too!)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I look at it like say comparing Adian Pitkeev or something to Hanyu.

Its basically a propaganda technique of trying to build a name for someone by continually comparing them to someone that has achieved much more.
Pitkeev to Hanyu is an exaggeration (at least Edmunds has already made her senior debut), but I kinda agree. Yulia is European champion, World silver medalist, and Olympic Team gold medalist. I wouldn't say, at this point, that Polina Edmunds is in the same league as her.

It's okay to compare skating styles and whose you like better, but I wouldn't say they're comparable in the grand scheme of things right now. And I probably shouldn't say any more before internet wars erupt. :laugh:

starlight97

Final Flight
Ooo let's see if this thread can stay calm and friendly ;D

I prefer Yulia
1. Cause I prefer her character on the ice, like her style of skating, and off it (which is an unprofessional point but just a personal true thing for me)
2. Her music and program choices appealed to me waay more than Polina's until now.
3. I'm a gymnast, so there will be no better, harder and more admirable spins in FS for me. Further more her performances always grip me and the 4:20 feel like 30 seconds, while it's the opposite while watching Polina, For Me.
4. She has accomplished so much more even though she is younger that you're right, they are on different planets in that area, so let's not compare them there.

Apart from some facts like technical correctness from Polina, more accomplishments from Yulia and consistency from both of them, which can't be denied, it's just a personal thing here, I think :)

noskates

Record Breaker
It's a matter of what you like!!!! And it really IS too early to tell. I think Yulia had a magical season until the Olympics where the pressure got to her...skating in her own country, expected to blow the field away, etc. Polina, on the other hand, had little or no pressure on her because no one expected her to lay down the performances she did. I think Yulia is more polished but I think Polina is more athletic. Polina needs to get rid of the little girl braids and the young girl costumes, get some music that she can really emote to, and basically mature. Yulia had a heart-stopping performance because the music she was skating to is hauntingly beautiful and evokes all kinds of feelings from those listening to it - and watching her skate. It will be interesting to see what she does with another piece of music. As good as she was (even tho her jumps barely clear the ice) I think Schindler's List had a lot to do with people's reactions to her skate.

How they'll do remains to be seen and there are a lot of factors to be considered.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Yulia has this star factor,the "watch me" quality to her. Polina lacks it. When you watch young Mao and Yuna, you know that they are something special - the same goes to Yulia for me:) the matter of preferance only

Mirunna

Record Breaker
It depends on how you view it.
Objectively speaking, Julia is a one of the top athletes, has been on the international circuit for some years now, has proved consistency and excellent control for her age, very good technically and improved leaps and bounds on the PCS side (mostly thanks to her good choreography, but hey, she plays it to her strengths, which is what all should do).
And she was amazing from a very young age, much better than Polina was.
From a fan perspective I prefer Polina. I first saw a video of her from 2010 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5TMpeUYyos) and the resemblance to Kostner was evident even then. I love her great speed and long limbs, her Bambi look on the ice, it looks absolutely fresh. She has what it takes to become not only a champion, but a skater to be appreciated for her artistry, skating skills, etc. n terms of potential she has it all, but she has still to prove herself. Julia is already there at the top, so no question on who is currently the better skater.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
It depends on how you view it.
Objectively speaking, Julia is a one of the top athletes, has been on the international circuit for some years now, has proved consistency and excellent control for her age, very good technically and improved leaps and bounds on the PCS side (mostly thanks to her good choreography, but hey, she plays it to her strengths, which is what all should do).
And she was amazing from a very young age, much better than Polina was.
From a fan perspective I prefer Polina. I first saw a video of her from 2010 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5TMpeUYyos) and the resemblance to Kostner was evident even then. I love her great speed and long limbs, her Bambi look on the ice, it looks absolutely fresh. She has what it takes to become not only a champion, but a skater to be appreciated for her artistry, skating skills, etc. n terms of potential she has it all, but she has still to prove herself. Julia is already there at the top, so no question on who is currently the better skater.

Wow, her arms are lovely even at that age. It really baffles me when people complain that she's gangly and awkward.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Polina. Bigger jumps with good air position and a lot of air time, graceful carriage and use of her body, lovely extension, good spin positions, actually hears the music and has a go at interpreting it...