Looking for suggestions on finding a coach | Golden Skate

Looking for suggestions on finding a coach

Talionis

Rinkside
I’m looking for suggestions on how to find the right coach for private lessons. I’ve been working my way through Learn to Skate classes, and am about to start LTS 4. I was hoping to work my way through the LTS series before starting private lessons, but I’m starting to get frustrated with my progress. I’m 54, 5’ 5” and 220 lbs., so understandably I’m physically slower than the other students, who are all teenagers, but I’m not entirely over the hill yet and want to improve faster then I have been. I’m hoping to learn ice dancing and MTF (don’t care about ever jumping). I currently skate around 2 hours/week, and could bump that up to 4 if I had a better idea of how to practice and could get to the point where I can make use of freestyle sessions instead of being restricted to public sessions filled with kamikaze hockey kids. Anyway, there are coach bios with contact info listed on my rink’s web site, but how should I go about picking one? I understand it can be awkward to change coaches once you have one, so I’d like to get it right the first time. What questions should I ask, and what qualifications should I look for? How did you know your coach was the right fit?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Ask the other adults at your rink. Watch the coaches and see how they interact with their students. Watch the other privately coached adults and see how they skate, then ask them who coaches them. What you need to find is a coach who teaches correct technique and enjoys teaching adults. I see too many coaches being less strict with adults because they don't think it matters. Trust me, it matters! Sounds to me like a dance coach would be your best bet and they have the best technique anyway. :biggrin:

Good luck!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
(1) Do the rinks in your area offer public sessions during weekday mornings? If so, does your schedule permit you to skate during those times? Taking private lessons during crowded public sessions generally is a waste of time and money. Some rinks though do cone off a section of ice for private lessons during otherwise crowded public sessions. On the other hand, taking beginner private lessons during freestyle sessions can be intimidating (e.g., dealing with jumpers, and observing protocols for right-of-way for program runs). Some rinks have designated low and high freestyle sessions; but others don't. If possible, weekday morning public sessions are the way to go: typically not crowded as long as schools are open, and a lot less expensive than freestyle sessions.

(2) When starting out, it's perfectly OK to try out a lesson or two with different coaches to see which ones you like. Just tell them in advance what you're up to. And once you've picked a coach, and if after a while it becomes clear that things aren't working out, don't be afraid to end the lessons and move on to another coach.

(3) One place to start is to ask the figure skating directors at your rinks for recommendations.

(4) But I agree with WednesdayMarch. The best approach is to ask other adult skaters and to observe coaches and adult skaters in action (if you can). Follow proper etiquette: don't interrupt or otherwise interfere with a lesson (e.g., get in the way); and don't freeload (e.g., if the coach is demonstrating back X-overs, don't start practicing back X-overs yourself).

(5) It's important to find a coach whose style matches your individual needs, which will differ from those of other adult skaters. E.g., some coaches do little skating themselves during a lesson, spending more time on verbal instructions; others use a follow-the-leader style, with little explanation; yet others are more analytical. You also need a coach who understands your overall physical condition. Several coaches I know have a "Just do it!" attitude. Maybe great for whipping younger skaters to perform better faster; but for older skaters that are not in great condition, doesn't work too well, and somewhat dangerous in my book.

My coach shows me how a move is supposed to be done. Then analyzes what I do wrong (you're dropping your left shoulder; you're leaning too forward; ...). If it becomes clear I can't make further progress in my current state, she cooks up a regimen of remedial drills for me. She's perfect for me. I've found my heel-and-sole mate.

Last edited:

Talionis

Rinkside
Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been experimenting with public sessions at different days and times, and weekday mornings are definitely the best (least crowded). Sunday afternoons are a zoo, and I would never try to schedule a lesson at that time. My rink has some adult only sessions as well, though for some reason it schedules them during hours when adults are typically at work. It may be enough of a challenge just to locate a dance coach who teaches adults and has availability during the hours I can get away from work. Hopefully I can find one who also takes an analytical approach to teaching and has a positive attitude. Should I be concerned about whether they're PSA-certified? Any red flags to watch out for?