Malaysia Airlines MH370 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Malaysia Airlines MH370

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Many airlines are govt owned and I am not sure if the payout would be more or less depending if it was an accident or terrorism. But all this bravo sierra coming out of the investigation is very odd. Now we just learn the Aussies have a very sophisticated "over the Horizon" radar that can see planes 2000 and maybe 3500 miles away...and suddenly the search area shrinks dramatically?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-horizon_radar
Anyone feel like a mushroom yet? (kept in the dark and feed excrement)

If he were either trying to embarrass the government or bankrupt it when it has to pay damages (does the government own Malaysian Air?) crashing the plane where it could be easily found, perhaps picking a symbolic place, would seem more appealing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can only go by what I've seen on the US media channels and they've been pushing for days that this "has" to be an act of terrorism/hijacking. And instead of even trying to remain unbiased about it, they scoff at the notion that it's anything but (especially NBC's group of "journalists"). They *might* be right, but I think they're more into the fear pushing... mainly because it sells a whole lot more than anything else.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
lol, the obsession in the US about terrorism is a joke

this has little evidence of terrorism, either its the pilot themselves, or some catastrophic mechanical failure
for all we know the plane flew for hours on autopilot and with passengers and crew already dead running out of oxygen, that is possible
and then crash somewhere near the south indian ocean as its believed the plane flew back in the trajectory

SeaniBu

Record Breaker

this has little evidence of terrorism, either its the pilot themselves, or some catastrophic mechanical failure
for all we know the plane flew for hours on autopilot and with passengers and crew already dead running out of oxygen, that is possible
and then crash somewhere near the south Indian ocean as its believed the plane flew back in the trajectory

I'm with ya - we're just "buying tickets" now.

Simpley put, would you trust getting in a car that has been guarded by security from terrorist taking it or a car that has electrical fires, attempt not to bankrupt the airlines again?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Perhaps there is a language problem here...if the pilot stole the aircraft and crashed it on purpose, we in the US would consider that an act of terrorism, but not against the US. Allianze is the insurance company , BTW, and they have begun to pay off, according to NBC news, At least.

Is the US obsessed with terrorism? Well, the news networks certainly are. In the light of actual loss of life compared to, say deaths caused by alchohol or cell phones, maybe it is much smaller than we are led to believe...but I wonder what a country such as say Austria would do to protect itself if it suffered all the terrorist attacks we have? Perception is everything. Many countries wouldn't think of expanding nuclear energy as a way of escaping dependence on, say, Russia, but in actuality, it is very safe.

and then crash somewhere near the south indian ocean as its believed the plane flew back in the trajectory

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, planes DO kill people...witness all the new conspiracy vids on TWA Flight 800 that want you to think it was a Navy missile...or a bomb.....yet I prefer the tests that show it was a small spark in a near empty fuel cell. Yet there are so many weird factors in play here....we now know the plane flew on for roughly five hours after it's transponder and then ACARs (or visa versa) went dead. You would think that someone at MA would have been concerned enough to put out a general alert that one of their planes was missing. No matter WHY it went missing, you would want everyone within range to search electronically for it and then visually. As it turned out, and if you have heard any different let me know, the Aussies picked it up on their over the horizon radar and have given us a very limited area of the ocean (comparitivley) to look where it left their radar. Whether or not that is still true or not true, are there ways the plane could have killed everyone? Sudden decompression followed by pilots and pax trying to use contaminated oxegon systems? Sure its possible....but right now, the preponderance of evidence is that this was a man made event.
I can only go by what I've seen on the US media channels and they've been pushing for days that this "has" to be an act of terrorism/hijacking. And instead of even trying to remain unbiased about it, they scoff at the notion that it's anything but (especially NBC's group of "journalists"). They *might* be right, but I think they're more into the fear pushing... mainly because it sells a whole lot more than anything else.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Very interesting map, Doris. When Putin goes into Eastern Ukraine, the West will still have the most reactors....BTW, there were interesting sideshows the last time Putin shut off the gas in 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/world/europe/07gazprom.html?pagewanted=all
Ukraine, which certainly knows about the risks of nuclear power, since Chernobyl is located there, chose to build reactors to avoid more dependence on Russian natural gas, so you're right, Chris.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_Ukraine

About 47% of Ukraine's power was nuclear in 2007.

I certainly haven't gotten that idea from the U.S. channels. They're exploring the possibilities of that, because it seems like such bizarre circumstances, but I don't see them going all Nancy Grace on it as if it's the only answer. Maybe I just don't watch enough TV? Certainly it's an event that invites the most extreme conclusions, but to hint that something nefarious has taken place seems at least plausible and doesn't narrow it down specifically to just terrorism or hijacking.

In any case, the situation is so fluid that each day brings a new conclusion anyway, so I wouldn't say that anyone's committing to an absolute answer at this point. For one thing, there are so many players and so many possible countries and entities involved, because of the international nature of the flight and its passengers, not to mention the participants in the search.

In any case, this is the 21st century. You're not limited to receiving news from the major American networks. You can choose from information sources the world over. Many other countries have English-language services.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
NBC/MSNBC continue to use the phrase "this has to be an act of terrorism". They are using authoritative words to report the latest "news" on the subject. CNN talking heads have as well.

That explains it. I only watch the network (broadcast) news, which tends to be more sedate. I think the cable folk are more editorial. Also, I get a lot of my info from newspapers, either in paper form or online. So I don't think in terms of the guys on cable stations at all. I do know from past viewings that some of the cable personalities get a bit enthusiastic about their theories.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
You cant make this up. I watched NBC tonight, Sunday, and Malaysia is now saying (contradicting US sourses according to NBC tonight) that the last received burst of ACARS data at 1:07 am shows the plane on a normal course to Bejing with no pre-programed turn in the flight computer. My United triple seven capt friend says he likes to fly the airplane himself, but I think I heard that some airlines mandate the computer fly the plane above a certain altitude. Perhaps the airlines like the ACARS data. Too bad about the heavy weather moving in..... :(

BusyMom

Medalist
News are various from different agencies and also different parts of the world too. But it is more likely to fall into terrorism acts all the same. Inland searching is still very much active altogether with the search in the South of Indian ocean. It is very strange to have two searching area in the opposite directions. Either they have no clues where to look or there are something fishy going on.

The RAAF spots the debris on a daily basis but never found anything when they reached the area. Tony Abbott needs this publicity now more than ever. The irony is the one who got the good PR is RAAF Flight Lieutenant Russell Adams. Everyone is talking about the hot lieutenant not the PM.

I have a feeling that only two parties holding the right information are Malaysian Government and the US Government. Unless they release the real deal, we might never know the truth.

Apparently the Malaysian Prime Minister has just announced that according to the latest findings (a British satellite search was involved), the plane has in all likelihood crashed into the southern Indian Ocean, near Australia, and that all lives are lost.

BusyMom

Medalist
Apparently the Malaysian Prime Minister has just announced that according to the latest findings (a British satellite search was involved), the plane has in all likelihood crashed into the southern Indian Ocean, near Australia, and that all lives are lost.
Very sad though. After all this time. Not even give the victims' family a hard evidences. No closure no nothing. Since I'll be on my way to KL with MAS in a week, that is very sth to think about.

Very sad though. After all this time. Not even give the victims' family a hard evidences. No closure no nothing. Since I'll be on my way to KL with MAS in a week, that is very sth to think about.

That must be giving you extra anxiety. May you have a smooth, safe journey.

BusyMom

Medalist
That must be giving you extra anxiety. May you have a smooth, safe journey.
Thank you so much Olympia. Usually the shaking of Airbus during the take-off and landing gives me enough anxiety already. Now this mass adds even more enough to give me a heart attack.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Near Australia? The plane must have gone into wrong direction.. Wasn´t it supposed to fly from Kuala Lumpur to China?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That explains it. I only watch the network (broadcast) news, which tends to be more sedate. I think the cable folk are more editorial. Also, I get a lot of my info from newspapers, either in paper form or online. So I don't think in terms of the guys on cable stations at all. I do know from past viewings that some of the cable personalities get a bit enthusiastic about their theories.

NBC is broadcast "news"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Near Australia? The plane must have gone into wrong direction.. Wasn´t it supposed to fly from Kuala Lumpur to China?

strong currents likely carried the wreckage (it's been 3 weeks).