Matvei Vetlugin | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Matvei Vetlugin

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hope this is not too off-topic, but because I've been curious to learn about the younger assistant coaches who appear sometimes at competitions, I searched up Evgeny Vlasov, who seems to be assisting Liudmila Sapronova with coaching (and, it turns out, choreographed Matvei's new FP). You can spot either/both of them at Matvei's competitions - young guy and a lady who often wears a pink hat.

Here are some videos of Vlasov when he was still skating competitively, not too long ago as it turns out! (Searching Youtube in Cyrillic works wonders :rock:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80YDJGnrskM [weird music cuts, but light and fun]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgKeJJFjdls [cool music, from the Caucasus maybe?]

I can spot Butsaeva and Sapronova by the boards, not sure which of them used to be his coach. If he originally skated at SSHOR Moskvich, it would make sense that he's now coaching there. He was still competing a/o 2016-17, so would have overlapped with Matvei's era, perhaps explaining their friendly vibe in K&C.

I can't find videos of Sapronova skating competitively... I guess competition video streams weren't really a thing in her time :laugh:

Immediately want to take that kids gloves off :dbana:

And FYI, they have vids of Mishin/Moskvina back in the day. How else would I have known Moskvina was the 1st to do the Beillman? Sapronova probably just wasn't good enough. LOL

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Immediately want to take that kids gloves off :dbana:

And FYI, they have vids of Mishin/Moskvina back in the day. How else would I have known Moskvina was the 1st to do the Beillman? Sapronova probably just wasn't good enough. LOL

Gloves are questionable enough, but them being in wrong-colour nude fabric just adds insult to injury :biggrin:

On that topic, I wonder hypothetically if Matvei would be better off (at least jump-wise) at Moskvina or Mishin's schools... but they're in Petersburg :eek:hwell: And maybe his skating would not be so nice.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gloves are questionable enough, but them being in wrong-colour nude fabric just adds insult to injury :biggrin:

On that topic, I wonder hypothetically if Matvei would be better off (at least jump-wise) at Moskvina or Mishin's schools... but they're in Petersburg :eek:hwell: And maybe his skating would not be so nice.

I can't say I'm a fan of Semenenko or Lutfullin jumps, I prefer Danielian/Mozalev/Kolyada's. Programs are also questionable and I don't want him with those iconic Prokofieva's hands. No, no, no, no, no! Plus Mishin and Daineko have a lot of students, he may get lost in the crowd. He would be better off with Selitskaya/Buyanova or Davydenko, maybe Chebotareva (I don't have a problem with her like some). I would say Rukavitsyn but his group is too crowded.

But I'm not for telling skaters they need to change coaches and he is seemingly happy where he is being the leader of the group. And if skating doesn't work out (and it won't for a lot of kids), he will be just fine, he's a smart guy.

Gloves are the worse, especially if you don't have pretty hands as it draws attention to them. I've been ready to rip off Yablokov's gloves for a while now and he is not the only ones.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I don't want him with those iconic Prokofieva's hands. No, no, no, no, no!
:reye: OMG poor Mikhail, what is she doing to him?! On the topic of Kolyada, it's interesting because like Matvei he developed for years as a big fish in a small pond. They also both have good skating skills and posture. Maybe in a smaller group with less internal competition, coaches can give attention to these things more... I may be overanalysing though.
Gloves are the worse, especially if you don't have pretty hands as it draws attention to them. I've been ready to rip off Yablokov's gloves for a while now and he is not the only ones.
Based on the past couple of seasons, I think Yablokov adores and would refuse to be parted from his gloves and untucked sweaters :biggrin:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:reye: OMG poor Mikhail, what is she doing to him?! On the topic of Kolyada, it's interesting because like Matvei he developed for years as a big fish in a small pond. They also both have good skating skills and posture. Maybe in a smaller group with less internal competition, coaches can give attention to these things more... I may be overanalysing though.

Maybe it has to do with what the coach put emphasis on as well as the skater's natural talent. Like I see Mishin as a technician for jumps however spins, SS, speed, ice coverage, choreography or anything having to do with PCS, I'm just not under the impression that there is a lot of emphasis on these things. Plus Petrov, Semenenko, Lutfullin and Lazukin aren't any more consistent than Aliev, Samarin, Danielian, Mozalev and others. So if I had a choice, I would rather they be inconsistent with a complete package so if they have a bad skate, their PCS scores can help because there's something to look at than to have them inconsistent with low PCS scores regardless.

And at almost 17, how likely is it for him to overhaul his technique? How much time would that take and is he up for it? The choices on coaches in Russia seems limited and they all have their star student(s) except for Chebotareva. So IDK. If he's happy where he is, I'm happy for him. If he wants to leave, I hope he goes to a group were he is a priority but like I said, all the coaches except for one has a star or more.

Based on the past couple of seasons, I think Yablokov adores and would refuse to be parted from his gloves and untucked sweaters :biggrin:

Yeah I wouldn't ask for his permission, I would just rip them off, tell him that I'm doing this for his own good, and walk away ;) But at least he learned to put fabric underneath his tops so that when he spins he not revealing anything :thumbsup:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
So if I had a choice, I would rather they be inconsistent with a complete package so if they have a bad skate, their PCS scores can help because there's something to look at than to have them inconsistent with low PCS scores regardless.

Very true, especially with Matvei here. He is always nice to watch, and on the bright side the inconsistency adds a bit of suspense :biggrin:
I'm impressed by the fact his PCS was the highest in both segments of this competition despite the errors!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Interview​

Z: Matvey, how did you come to figure skating? Did someone from the family study? Where (or rather, from whom) such talent?

M: At the age of 3, my mother brought me to the FS section, in childhood she studied herself.

Z: What are the good and bad habits?

M: Of the useful ones, probably, the fact that I try to complete every business, to do everything perfectly. And from the harmful - that I often doubt myself.

Z: What else are your hobbies besides sports? Any hobbies?

M: I love watching biathlon very much, in winter I go skiing in the park. Travel is also attractive, I hope that in the future I will be able to travel around the world * smiles *.

Z: Do you listen to music? What is usually played with headphones during exercise?

M: I adore music, I listen to a lot and very different! In general, I'm a music lover, I can find songs for any mood * smiles *.

Z: What is figure skating for you?

M: A difficult question, of course for me FS and plowing, and happiness, these are friends, these are ups and downs, and, of course, satisfaction after won starts.

Z: Our crown question is is there a dream program?

M: There is no dream program. But every year, when staging, we try to choose stylistically different music so that I can show myself in completely opposite ways.

Z: Is there anything unusual that you would like to try? Like skydiving or zorbing?

M: Bungee jumping and skydiving is just a dream. I would really like to get a huge dose of adrenaline in such extreme conditions.

Z: What is your favorite program? What about your favorite costume?

M: Favorite program - under ā€œMozart. Rock opera ", favorite costume - for the free program of the current season ( editor's note: to music by Queen )

Z: What is your typical daily routine?

M: Wake up 6:30, have breakfast, get ready, after - morning walk with the dog, and then to training. I arrive at 18 and around 21 I study my lessons, at 22 I go to bed. Something like this.

Z: How do you feel about the fans? Are you surprised by their presence? :)

M: I am very grateful to the fans for their support! Not surprising, and I expect the number of fans to grow * smiles *.

Z: Are you superstitious? Are there any mandatory rituals?

M: No, I don't believe in omens

Z: Tell us about your favorite books or movies.

M: Top movies probably will not be able to choose ...
But the books thus:
-Gerbert Wells' The Invisible Man "and" War of the Worlds "
-Veniamin Kaverin" Two Captains "
-Sabatini" Captain Blood "
-Rasskazy Chekhov Yesenin's poems

Z: Blitz! Coffee or tea?

M: Cocoa!

Triple Axel or Quad Jump?

M: Axel!

Footwork or spin?

M: Footwork!

Simple but clean, or difficult but dirty?

M: Difficult and clean * smiles *

What element would you attribute yourself to?

M: Air!

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy 17th birthday to Matvei šŸ„³ šŸŽ‚ Good luck at Cup 2 and for the rest of the season šŸ€ā›øļø Health and happiness :pray: šŸ˜

Edwin

Š”Š“ŠµŠ»Š°Š½Š¾Š’Š„рустŠ°Š»ŃŒŠ½Š¾Š¼!
Record Breaker

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Matvei congratssss!!! Two Russian Cup victories in a row, what a pleasant surprise :yahoo:Beautiful skating triumphs!
True that margin of victory was a bit narrow and the 3A/4T are still hit-and-miss, but things seem to be moving in a positive direction. Compared to last year, less instances of weird mistakes on the other triples. Coach Lyudmila is right, every berry has its own time - and Matvei continues quietly to grow šŸ„²
Side note: maybe his inconsistency on the 3A is a result of trying actively to fix it. Sometimes an element goes to pieces for a while when trying to correct old habits...
Other side note: I thought it was awesome that after his first RC victory, the only thing he posted on Instagram was a video clip of that beautiful SP step sequence. It is indeed something to be proud of :D

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Matvei moves to Mishin Team
Hope the Prof can help Matvei with his jumps!! He's already top-notch in the other areas. Liudmila Sapronova did a great job in that respect :)

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Matvei missed Junior Nationals and most of the second half of the 2020/21 season due to injury, but seems to have recovered well :) While digging around the Allskaters website for updates, I found that Matvei made one more competitive appearance before the end of the 2020/21 season at a Moskvich club competition.

Here is his short programme (video for the long was blocked for me): https://youtu.be/4cUKpXk_UX0?t=2289
He came second, with a total score of 226.77. Note that he tried a 4T and 3A in the short programme, which suggests he might be testing the waters for a move to seniors (at least domestically).

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Matvei did so well today! I was prepared for the worst because all of his FSs this season were a nightmare. But there's just a q on the second 3A and UR on the combo. Want to see more of him next season! Wonder, if he'll get a Challenger event.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
His skate was really bright and well-earned bronze. Fingers crossed for Challengers. I still wish he considered ice dance though. Could be so beautiful. šŸ˜æ