MEN'S Free from TV | Golden Skate

MEN'S Free from TV

Buttle really does pose a challenge for the judges. He can't jump at all, but he is the only man in the competition whose program is interesting enough to repay the effort of watching it.

Weiss was awful, but if I closed my eyes and just listened to Beethoven it was OK, except for the cuts. Goebel -- why is he still competing? Joubert -- oh Brian, you're my guy, but your choreography stunk up the place. Overall, this competiton gets a big :disagree: For this I stayed up till midnight on a "school night"?

MM :no:

Last edited:
Mathman said:
Buttle really does pose a challenge for the judges. He can't jump at all, but he is the only man in the competition whose program is interesting enough to repay the effort of watching it.

Weiss was awful, but if I closed my eyes and just listened to Beethoven it was OK, except for the cuts. Goebel -- why is he still competing? Joubert -- oh Brian, you're my guy, but your choreography stunk up the place. Overall, this competiton gets a big :disagree: For this I stayed up till midnight on a "school night"?

MM :no:
Uh, Mathman, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't ESPN run the guys first, the pairs second, ice dance third, and the ladies last? If so, then didn't you stay up to watch ze ladies?:love:

Hey, I'd stay up if Joubert and Weiss would just take off their shirts and not skate, or at least not that choreography.

Buttle's LP, "A Tribute to Glenn Gould"? Where was all the humming? I know, they can digitize it out now, but without the humming, it's like listening to Ella Fitzgerald without scattin'.

Rgirl

Rgirl said:
Uh, Mathman, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't ESPN run the guys first, the pairs second, ice dance third, and the ladies last? If so, then didn't you stay up to watch ze ladies? :love:
Well, yeah, but...I was really trying to like the men this season. (Go Eman!)

Actually, for once I liked the pairs the best in this show.

MM :)

Dumbkoft that I am. I returned home about 9:30 pm and clicked on the channel but I got NASCAR or something like that. I had assumed it was ESPN2. Anyway I switched over the ESPN and just lost the men again.

Apparently, I didn't miss much. But Lambiel is in the Finals and that's my boy.

Joe

equestrianguy

On the Ice
The men's LP competition did nothing for me.. Don't get me wrong I think Jeffy Buttle's skating is wonderful and all, but I hate his choice of LP music this year. It's piano chaos to me.. I actually really like Timmy's LP music and choreography..just start getting those jumps back, Tim.. Now Mr. Weiss's chest hair doesn't bother me, but that Edward Scissorhair needs to go!!!!

Linny

Final Flight
Laughable

Tim was just laughable. Is there a story with Night on Bald Mountain that I'm missing? What is that move where he shakes his hands? I found myself pretty much doubled over. Was there a choreographer involved? Something?

At least Mike's program had some attempt at choreography. It sounds a bit like Beethoven for Dummies... still, Mike's LP was better than Tim's. Guess the judges figured it was toss up.

Geez, I hope these two guys just go away sometime soon. They are taking up valuable broadcast time.

For Nationals, I'll be rooting for anyone but Tim or Mike. How about Matt or Ryan or Rohen?

Audrey and Don must be shuddering.

Linny

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Linny said:
Tim was just laughable. Is there a story with Night on Bald Mountain that I'm missing? What is that move where he shakes his hands? I found myself pretty much doubled over. Was there a choreographer involved? Something?

I'm not into the hands shaking at all... is it true that Tarasova had a hand in the choreography?

I think Tim just doesn't have it in him this season... after that first problem on the jump he just went :p forget this.... his skating this year reminds me of Kurt Browning's 1992 Olympics... one mistake and ok let's blow the whole thing....

still, gotta love Timmy. There's just something about him...

emma

Record Breaker
cleopatra20042004 said:
My guess, the hand thing TIm does is supposed to be demon-like. To me its just silly

It's just bad, really bad.

The men almost made me go to bed, but thankfully I watched the rest. I really really love Buttle, but I found myself getting up for a drink when he missed the quad, just assuming he would miss the axle too: not good. It does get, hmmm tedious?...when you can fall like that and win. I'm still totally in awe of his movement, his footwork, expression etc....but it's a bad thing when one of your favorites doesn't hold your attention.

I have the wierdest soft spot for Weis...like I respect him and want him to make it to the Olympics just cuz he's worked hard and been there when he was needed and etc...and I do think this LP is so much better than last years, and I could handle double footing the quad, but the sad thing is I don't even remember what he did :cool:

Then there's Timmy...it's actually hard to watch him, he really looks like someone who feels he HAS to do this this year, but doesn't really want to. Costume change is a bit of a relief though.

I'm not sure what I think of Joubert...he seemed better last night than SA, but something just leaves me saying blah...it was something in that foot work section, i was just like, blah. anyway, there have been a number of really sit on the edge of your seat men's performance already this season, so I shouldn't complain.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
cleopatra20042004 said:
My guess, the hand thing TIm does is supposed to be demon-like. To me its just silly

I think Timmay's snake dance is actually very effective and interesting.. It adds a little play to a very mad, but brilliant classic..

childfreegirl

Final Flight
emma said:
I have the wierdest soft spot for Weis...like I respect him and want him to make it to the Olympics just cuz he's worked hard and been there when he was needed and etc...and I do think this LP is so much better than last years, and I could handle double footing the quad, but the sad thing is I don't even remember what he did :cool:

Me too. Yes, the choreography was better than last year's, but the footwork just wasn't "big" enough to me. It didn't seem to live up to the music. Didn't he skate to Beethoven in '98?

I have to admire him though. From what I can tell, the last few years he's skated to what he's wanted to skate to. And I think he has good intentions, but either the arrangement, choreography and/or interpetation just don't gel right. I know this is rehashing old programs, but this follows a pattern. In 2003 he skated to a patriotic medley. When I heard he was doing that, I thought "great", but when I heard the arrangement, it fell flat to me. He's a skater that can skate big and that music just didn't cut it. Last year was Led Zeplin. He shocked the skating world with his outrageous tatoo shirt, but it fit the program. Choreography could've used some work, but oh well. This year, with it being an Oly year, he's gone more traditional for the judges. Meh. :frown2:

Personally, I'm of the opinion that music shouldn't be chosen for that reason. If a piece can appeal to the judges, and a skater can build a great program out of it, great. But it just dosen't seem to me like he's into this music "whole hog".

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and he could be really into this year's music and it's just not coming out on the ice. I've been wrong before.

<We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.>

shine

Record Breaker
Chiper's SP is just amazing! :love: Now, THAT is choreography, and HE interpreted the music!