Michelle Attends U.S. State Dinner for China President Hu Jintao | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Michelle Attends U.S. State Dinner for China President Hu Jintao

Hahah. Well, you didn't hurt mine. I laughed out loud, actually. What's the point of laughing if you can't laugh at yourself sometimes, right? :biggrin::laugh:

P.S. Does the word "providence" actually mean something or is it just the capital of RI?

I assumed that the poster was typing quickly and meant "province." I've done that--I hate to tell you the number of times I've typed the word I almost meant and have not gone back to proofread because I just wanted to get the post out there. The adrenaline rush of flying fingers!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I assumed that the poster was typing quickly and meant "province." I've done that--I hate to tell you the number of times I've typed the word I almost meant and have not gone back to proofread because I just wanted to get the post out there. The adrenaline rush of flying fingers!

I was referring to the post that Mathman deleted and no one else saw (maybe you did)! Haha. But yes, I understood what the poster meant. "Fingers on keyboard before brain processes" happens to me all the time as well! :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
On a complete different topic. I find University degrees are generally over hyped in a civilised society. One that has been more driven by capitalistic and social tendencies. While we should continue to celebrate education and place importance in the reputation of the very best institutions in the world, I found the consequences of that create an unbalanced view of the real world. After all, some of the most brilliant minds and most successful people don't even go to schools, and are not necessarily be the most book savvy.
And what is real world? I think people are lucky enough if they are able to study as much as they can in the subject they love, it doesnt have to be Harvard, I m talking about deeper knowledge, it can be a ballet academy, a beaux arts college or a uni. Or many people are studying on their own. How do you measure successful?successful is also Paris Hilton and Lady Gaga.Besides you do this for your own personal cultivation not because society wants you successful with the minimum effort.
Judging by my own country you can be a succesful politician and a complete idiot at the same time.

About education, this was the quote that I was responding to.

But having someone represent our country to a government like China that looks at a 4 year degree as a 10 year to accomplish is most likely NOT going to be looked at favorably by a country like China.

Michelle put off her college education temporarily because she had other fish to fry, What she jokingly refers to as the "ten year plan" went like this.

When she was 19 she went to UCLA for one semester because she felt that she had led a sheltered live and she wanted to experience normal things like living in a dormitory with kids her own age. Then she decided to put her education on hold while she pursued other dreams.

When she completed her skating career she went back to college at the University of Denver, finished in two-and-a-half years, went straight on on to the Fletcher School at Tufts for her master's degree (due this spring). She has not made any formal announcement yet about continuing on for a doctorate, but she has mentioned the possibility in interviews.

I do not believe that her academic record will cause the people of China to "look on her unfavorably." Michelle made enough money as a popular athlete that she could have just coasted the rest of her life. Instead she has chosen an arduous path to prepare herself to make a positive contribution to society.

Personally, I think that her first White House jaunt, where in particular Secretary of State Rice took Michelle under her wing, lit a fire in Michelle and showed her possibilities for a new life direction. It is not a coincidence that she chose Rice's alma mater to make her start.

PS. Michelle made an interesting comment, repeated in interviews several times, about how hard it was to go back to college after a long period of "not using her brain in that way." She said that using your brain is just like using your body. You have to keep up that training and develop the mental equivalent of "muscle memory."

seniorita

Record Breaker
In the U.S. this dumb and dumber chic has become *rampant. "Vote for me, I'm as dumb as you."
ah well, then we are not so different afterall:) In greece they like this trend and keep voting the same two families for the last 50 - 60 years.
*my new word today:cool:

On a complete different topic. I find University degrees are generally over hyped in a civilised society. One that has been more driven by capitalistic and social tendencies. While we should continue to celebrate education and place importance in the reputation of the very best institutions in the world, I found the consequences of that create an unbalanced view of the real world. After all, some of the most brilliant minds and most successful people don't even go to schools, and are not necessarily be the most book savvy.

Take the British Prime Minister John Major for instance, he only got 3 o'levels (Equivalent of SATs in US), with mediocre grades (usually you should get 8-12 As to get into a good university like Oxford/ Cambridge), no A-Levels (Need 3-5 to get to an elite uni) and in fact - never gone to University, yet he reigned for 2 terms in Britain in the 90s, and he ruled for the Conservative Party. On the other hand, you currently have David Cameron who is the almost the Anti - John Major in that he is from proper elite background, went to Eton, Oxford etc. And he has to share his seats with the Liberal Democrats!

Meanwhile members of the Beatles, the most incredible and successful band in history like Paul McCartney doesn't even read music and still can't!

Their unique life experience similar to what Michelle Kwan had to go through since teens reigning the figure skating world for years (won the hearts of millions/billion who watches the 2x Olympics/WC she participated) should makes them credible spoke person in the real world, although it is important for them to get an education in the process as well.

I do value a college educaton. In my family, education was considered sacred, and you were supposed to get as much of it as you could. But I agree with you that you can't characterize someone's capacity by looking at that person's education history. Some people used college as something to pad their resumes, and they didn't derive much knowledge or insight from their time in any of those prestigious institutions. (Mathman and I are probably thinking of the same politician from Yale at this moment.) By contrast, one can indeed get a sparkling education from what we in the States call "the school of hard knocks," or real life, and John Major is a great example. The Beatles, who were pathfinding tunesmiths without the ability to read music, are another example dear to my heart.

But on the whole, I think a formal education is something of great value. I love Michelle's perseverance in this area. In the States (unlike some European countries that I know of, such as the United Kingdom), you are expected to take courses outside your major. So you learn about subjects and ideas you might never have encountered before. A true liberal arts education doesn't just teach you competence in a field but broadens your mind and connects you more deeply to the rest of humanity.

I've said before on GS that one of my deepest regrets in the skating world is that Tara Lipinski never went past high school. In early interviews, at the advanced age of fourteen, she came across as very articulate and intelligent. What a waste that she didn't investigate all that civilization has to offer. By contrast, I am thrilled that Sarah Hughes (and I think Emily also) went to college straight after their skating careers. I'm delighted that Debi Thomas is now Debi Thomas, M.D. This is a tough world, and we have many challenging problems. We need all the smarties we can get!

And if some of our smartest people took ten years to get through college, or if they are grade-A graduates of the school of hard knocks, that's swell, too. The more the merrier!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
In the U.S. this dumb and dumber chic has become rampant. "Vote for me, I'm as dumb as you."

And it is called "down to earth", "people's person", "touched everybody's heart", "people could relate"...Someone told me directly the reason they wanted to vote for a dumb person was that they would rather vote a dumb person than a smart one, so the person won't have the ability to do much "damage" for the country.:laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In many societies, people want leaders. In the U.S., people want representatives. So they would empower and elevate a village idiot to a global Head Idiot In Charge. The political structure and process make it darn near impossible to get a truly brilliant person to run or be elected for the highest office.

Canadians are sort of in the middle, or they were. Thus they got Trudeau, both adored and resented for his superior intellect. But when they needed him, he was called from retirement to serve for more years. Other times, like now, American lapdogs are at the helm taking orders.

Though the current Canadian government claim to be responsible for Canadian economic stability, I give the credit to former Prime Minister Jean Chretien for not doing two things: following the US to the war in Iraq and allowing bank mergers so that Canadian banks could join the American and other banks to play the corrupt money games on the world stage. His courage and true devotion to Canada saved us from the economic disasters and collapses still being played out.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Though the current Canadian government claim to be responsible for Canadian economic stability, I give the credit to former Prime Minister Jean Chretien for not doing two things: following the US to the war in Iraq and allowing bank mergers so that Canadian banks could join the American and other banks to play the corrupt money games on the world stage. His courage and true devotion to Canada saved us from the economic disasters and collapses still being played out.
wow, this michelle topic has so much to learn. I love GS. BTw I m rather surprised janetfan has not picked up this thread yet.:jaw:

I was so impressed by both those moves by Canada. Admirable indeed.

Though I do agree that many Americans are anti-intellectuals when it comes to our political leaders (not I, obviously), in our defense I do have to say that in terms of acuity, both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are far from stupid. They are intelligent and well-informed, and they value intelligence in others as well. Additionally, George H.W. Bush, the first President Bush, was also extremely capable--possibly the best-prepared president we had in fifty years, with experience at home and abroad, in several branches of government and in the U.N.

Whether you or I agree with the first George Bush, Clinton, and Obama about specific positions and actions is another matter. But in terms of intellectual luster, Clinton and Obama especially are among the brightest. Remember that both of them are self-made men, so when they got to college, no one was waiting to smooth the path for them. They had to do it on smarts alone. Clinton also possesses a quality I wish Obama had, the "just folks" common touch that makes you feel that you could indeed sit down over a beer and chat with him.

Sorry to go this off-topic, but because the matter involves intellectual preparedness, I feel the point is worth making. I'm not making it as a political point at all, or a nationalistic one.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
wow, this michelle topic has so much to learn. I love GS. BTw I m rather surprised janetfan has not picked up this thread yet.:jaw:

Uhh looks like janetfan has been banned. How come?

evangeline

Record Breaker
Canadians are sort of in the middle, or they were. Thus they got Trudeau, both adored and resented for his superior intellect. But when they needed him, he was called from retirement to serve for more years. Other times, like now, American lapdogs are at the helm taking orders.

Seems like the emphasis is rather on "they were," unfortunately. Even Ignatieff--he of Russian noble descent and a famously elite background--is now selling himself as one of us plebs: "I've lived the life of, almost like a a small businessperson, living paycheque to paycheque." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XGYtqW2whE)

Oh, Iggy.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think this is probably a good place to post a little interesting tidbit about some skaters of Chinese descent.

Patrick Chan, Nathan Chen, Lu Chen and Mervin Tran of Takahashi/Tran all have the same family name. Chan is Canotonese/Hongkong, Chen is Mandarin indicating origin of China and Taiwan, and Tran is how the same name is spelled in Vietnam and Cambodia. In Singapore and Malaysia, it will be Tan (from Hokien/Fujian).

Tran is a Canadian of Southeast Asian Chinese descent skating for Japan. :)

A little non skating anecdote: A few weeks ago, I got a late night phone call from a friend for help to call Beijing to save an oil deal worth possibly $1B because his local Chinese partner was drunk at the time. I didn't know if the family name of the person was the first or last as given but turned out he was in Hongkong so we spoke in Cantonese. His name was Choi. I figured he was not the right person to talk to and asked my friend for a real dicision maker and I was given a Mr. Tsai. I told my friend the two of them might be related as they had the same family name, one spelled HK way and one in Taiwan fashion. They were brothers. Heh.

Also, this name is spelled differently in China, Chai I think.

Last edited:
I think this is probably a good place to post a little interesting tidbit about some skaters of Chinese descent.

Patrick Chan, Nathan Chen, Lu Chen and Mervin Tran of Takahashi/Tran all have the same family name. Chan is Canotonese/Hongkong, Chen is Mandarin indicating origin of China and Taiwan, and Tran is how the same name is spelled in Vietnam and Cambodia. In Singapore and Malaysia, it will be Tan (from Hokien/Fujian).

Tran is a Canadian of Southeast Asian Chinese descent skating for Japan. :)

A little non skating anecdote: A few weeks ago, I got a late night phone call from a friend for help to call Beijing to save an oil deal worth possibly $1B because his local Chinese partner was drunk at the time. I didn't know if the family name of the person was the first or last as given but turned out he was in Hongkong so we spoke in Cantonese. His name was Choi. I figured he was not the right person to talk to and asked my friend for a real dicision maker and I was given a Mr. Tsai. I told my friend the two of them might be related as they had the same family name, one spelled HK way and one in Taiwan fashion. They were brothers. Heh.

Also, this name is spelled differently in China, Chai I think.

Names are like novels all tucked away in a single string of letters. That's so fascinating, SF. And how nice that you were able to help out with such an important enterprise.

The variants of Chan and Choi remind me of an encounter I had (on a much smaller scale) years ago at a Columbus Day event. I got to chatting with another bystander, who told me she came from an old Italian community in Texas. (Texas had a surprising number of settlers from Southern, Central, and Eastern Europe—which I think is how they ended up with a city called Odessa.) Anyway, this person's surname was Columbo, which of course is the Italian version of Columbus. Then we chanced to notice the name plate worn by the police officer supervising our section of the crowd. His surname was Colón, the Spanish version of Columbus. What are the odds of that happening on Columbus Day?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Names are like novels all tucked away in a single string of letters. That's so fascinating, SF. And how nice that you were able to help out with such an important enterprise.

Actually the deal was destined to fail despite months of effort and travels. This was one of those times I had been asked to perform a task but saved an endeavour with analysis instead.

This friend calls me almost daily for coaching and counsel but always keeps me out of the deals. (The conflicted male ego thing I figure.) Because of his need for my direct involvement this time, I got the details and persuaded him to take a different approach. He finally followed my advice and regretted it for a whole day and night until it came through with an additional contract! At least 8 (multi)millionairs are created out of the deal, including the greedy "parasite chain" with forfeited rights I convinced him to by pass. They were lucky someone got drunk that night! :biggrin:

I have been promised chocolates.

BTW The parties involved included Russians, Americans, Chinese, us Canadians plus at least one European broker. That's often how things work these days. Moi, I prefer to KISS. :)

What are the odds of that happening on Columbus Day?

I'm sure those folks keep their names on Non Colombus Days too. :laugh:

Sorry. :eek:: I do know what you meant.

Seriously, that's synchronicity. You notice more of what is prominent in your consciousness. Which is why it's important to focus on your goals and desires instead of miseries. It opens your mind and eyes for opportunities and good fortunes.

Last edited: