Michelle makes it official!!! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle makes it official!!!

kyla2

Final Flight
mzheng

Her coach told her to do the Grand Prix Series last year and she decided not to do it. I really wish she HAD listened to him. I think the outcome at Worlds would have been different. Michelle is the one that is in control here.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
First, that Michelle may not follow her coach's directions does not mean she won't want to speak with him before making a decision. Second, and most important, is that the articles all say that Michelle is undecided, but there are not any quotes saying that she is undecided, unless you think her comments about "listening to her body" shows indecision about GP (as opposed, for example, to the US cheesefests (which, as I posted on another thread, are absent from the ISU's calendar -- which does include a Japanese cheesefest)

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
kyla2 said:
Her coach told her to do the Grand Prix Series last year and she decided not to do it. I really wish she HAD listened to him. I think the outcome at Worlds would have been different. Michelle is the one that is in control here.

Rafael told her to do the GP last year? I hadn't heard that (not that I don't believe you). Any information on why she didn't? Sorry if this is has already been dissected too many times. I've been out of the loop.

Replies to Some of the Posts

Michelle likes to compete, but is he motivated to win?

CoP Feedback from Cheesefests will be the results of American judges.

Doing 4CC would be excellent and it would have international judges.

Travelling to Sports venues is what sportspeople do. If travelling is difficult then just cut out the sport.

There is the politics to deal with if not going to the GPs. Speedy is not so easy.

If she fears hurting her body that much, maybe she should stop skating altogether.

Is she skating the Olys because she likes to compete and not necessarily win? Is there another reason she is skating the Olys?

We are all hoping she will comeback and wow us at the Olys. Otherwise just forget Torino.

The Cheesefests will bring in ready cash, and there are no int'l judges, or travelling is not overseas.

Kostner got a blast of confidence at Moscow Worlds.

There are many skaters that would die for Sasha's silver medals.

I think the concensus of Michelle's Fans is for her to do the Grand Prix games.

Joe

swannanoa54

On the Ice
I think the MY consensus is: Michelle should do what is right for her. No matter what fans think, or anyone else for that matter, the only person who understands their body is the person in it. If Michelle doesn't think her body can take the schedule with GP events included in it, then by all means, skip the GP. But understand the consequences if you do. And I think she understands them completely.

And while it may sound "naive" to some people, did anyone ever stop to consider that maybe Michelle just likes to compete, wants to go to the Olympics again for that Olympic experience? I mean, maybe she's actually stating the truth for her and everyone makes an assumption she's trying for the gold medal again. Truth be told, I figure if she's going she IS trying for the gold medal, but I also figure that her life won't be over if she doesn't even medal no matter what anti-Kwan fans might say.

But that's just me. I'm just one little opinion in a big fat scummy pond.

ragsy

Rinkside
Has anyone figured out how Plushy managed to compete in only one GP event last year? It's my understanding that he only intended to compete at COR but ended up going to the GPF to appease Speedy because he finished with enough points (after someone who qualified ahead of him withdrew with an injury). If Michelle can employ the same loophole (or whatever it was that Plushy used last year), she could compete at only SA, get some valid COP experience, but still not have to travel to Asia twice within two months.

kyla2

Final Flight
Opinion

It is common knowledge that Rafael told her last year she should do the Series for feedback etc but she decided not to do it. He stated this somewhere himself. I don't think for one minute she is doing this for the experience of being in an Olympics. Been there, done that. She has a goal and I believe it is the Gold or a medal of some kind. But to get into the hunt she has to play the game their way, fair or not. But truthfully I think competing throughout the year makes her more competitive. She is sharper and tougher when she competes all season.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Great post realistic!

Sorry, but I just have to shake my head at times. It's a certainty that Michelle will not win the Olympics if she doesn't do the GP. Period, end of story ... put that down as fact. Gee, I wish I had that amazing foresight.
And who cares about injuries or the condition of an athlete's body. Get out of the sport if you're not in perfect shape.

Geesh.

mzheng

Record Breaker
realistic51 said:
And while it may sound "naive" to some people, did anyone ever stop to consider that maybe Michelle just likes to compete, wants to go to the Olympics again for that Olympic experience? I mean, maybe she's actually stating the truth for her and everyone makes an assumption she's trying for the gold medal again. Truth be told, I figure if she's going she IS trying for the gold medal, but I also figure that her life won't be over if she doesn't even medal no matter what anti-Kwan fans might say.

But that's just me. I'm just one little opinion in a big fat scummy pond.
Count me as another 'naive' one.

If she decides not to try the 3rd time, like Joe and someone else said should give others a chance to be Olympian (which I don't agree, who ever rightfully earned the berth should be allowed to go if age eligible. And Joe always said it is a sport), then her detract would say she is chicken out, right?. Now she chose to go for it, now the gun jumped on she should do GP otherwise forget the OGM....

Sometimes I almost feel she has the 'right' attitude than some of her fans (include me, I desperately want that gold for her). At age of 24, with 5 world titles, 9 US national titles (not any other national titles, it's the country has been generated 3 OGMs in last 4 Olympics), endless other titles, rewards, her own rink (well almost her own); she has nothing left to prove to anyone. She truely realize win or lose the life will go on. Her place in the sport is cemented. She's the one has to live on rest of her life. I only hope she has a HEALTH and WEALTH life. And enjoy it to full extend.

kyla2, Rafael may express his hope Michelle competing more during 2004 National or Worlds when he first became Michelle's coach. Back then he diddn't know Michelle that well. But last season, the final decision made for Michelle not doing the GP, I believe it's being disscussed between them based on the early season result, the condition of her body(she sprained her back before Campbell, not fully recovered when SA around) and her practice progress. It's mutual decition. Not just Michelle's.....

The bottom line and what amused me the most is if she dose not take advise from her coach, anyone think she will take advise from us fans? :p

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
"Sorry, but I just have to shake my head at times. It's a certainty that Michelle will not win the Olympics if she doesn't do the GP. Period, end of story ... put that down as fact. Gee, I wish I had that amazing foresight. And who cares about injuries or the condition of an athlete's body. Get out of the sport if you're not in perfect shape. Geesh"

I agree that it is certain that Michelle can't win Olys without doing the GP, but we should care about injuries. However, I don't like the idea of "get out of the sport if you're not in perfect shape." If Michelle had "gotten out of the sport" after 2003, we probably would only be sending two ladies to Torino. Sasha is already a lock for the US Oly team, regardless of what Michelle does. Michelle -- even without the GP -- is also more likely to medal than is Jenny, Kimmie, Angela, Emily, Amber, Bebe, or any of the other contenders. If Michelle should get out of the sport because she can't medal, then why shouldn't the others (especially those like Amber, who have been around a while) who also can't medal?

However, if Michelle wants to go to Olys without doing the GP (which is a big IF), she needs to make it clear that she is going (if she qualifies) to end her career on Oly ice --- and take her loss with genuine joy. She can't expect sympathy for disappointment if she doesn't look like she is giving it her all -- and not doing the GP doesn't look good, even if she is skipping it to prevent injury.

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I am SOOOOOOOOO happy to hear that Michelle is committed to going to Torino to try for the Olys again (although I do need to up my stock of Tums and Kleenex now no matter what that outcome is, LOL). That is great news for me today, however..............from what I've read online, SHE has not said anything one way or the other about doing the GP series this fall and IMO, its WAY too early to be going off on these tangents that assume she's going one way or the other about it. Sure it would be beneficial for her to get her programs out there in front of judges before Nats/Olys and it would be great to see her on the GP again this fall........but I also don't want her to hurt herself more by pushing her body beyond what it can take and if she feels that its not going to take it for a full season, then she needs to listen to that so as to not take herself out of the running a la Plushy at this year's Worlds. If she's committed to Torino for sure and is planning on giving it her all one last time at the Olys, I about 95% sure that she will end up doing the GP series so long as she can physically do it. This drama about whether or not she will or won't and what will happen if she does or doesn't is all a bit premature because we just DO NOT KNOW YET. She'll announce it when she's ready, she always does, and then we can go into a million tangents about the consequences of whatever action that happens to be. :laugh: This is going to be one long offseason if everyone dissects this subject ad nauseum. Not that its not your guys perrogative to run this into the ground (you may drive yourselves crazy in the process, LOL :yes: ) but I would rather think about what music people could be skating to next year, what jump combos and spins people will be doing, and personally trying to learn CoP better so I can follow things more clearly when I watch skating on TV. But hey, that's just me, LOL :rock:

GO MICHELLE! :clap:

Eeyora

Final Flight
emma said:
In the meantime, between now and then, and between Kwan committing and Zhao recuperating from injury (and my list is actually longer, these are just my two biggies), I'm going to have a permanent stomache ache.

You're Not alone. I am dying from the anticipation.

jgardell

Spectator
How about three programs?

Maybe she can prepare an SP and LP that she can do for the cheesefests and GP events leading up to Nationals (for COP experience/practice/exposure and international judging), then a modified LP (using most of the elements in her original LP, but with additional complexity or variety in jumps or footwork and played to a DIFFERENT music) to be used at both Nationals and the Olympics. The original LP can perhaps be used as her exhibition piece for Nationals and the Olympics...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Still chasing the Olympic Dream? Many skaters have tried to recapture their Olympic moment or still have the elusive dream of going for the gold. Most find out it's too late. Not saying Michelle won't have a chance, but she is getting up there and there are many talented young skaters all waiting in the wings and eager for their crack at the gold.

Sorry to be so negative, but I just don't see Michelle on the podium.

- hey, she could prove me wrong!!!!

fscric

On the Ice
I don't understand the logic, which seems only apply to Michelle, that only because her chance of getting on the podium is so slim in some people's eyes that she should stand aside for the talented upcomers. But then if she chose to not go for 2006 Olympic instead, I'm sure people are labelling her chicken out of the COP challenge. It's obvious that she'd be criticized for whatever decision she took - go for it, she's delusive and barring other skaters; but if she calls it a day, she's afraid of COP.

fscric said:
I don't understand the logic, which seems only apply to Michelle, that only because her chance of getting on the podium is so slim in some people's eyes that she should stand aside for the talented upcomers. But then if she chose to not go for 2006 Olympic instead, I'm sure people are labelling her chicken out of the COP challenge. It's obvious that she'd be criticized for whatever decision she took - go for it, she's delusive and barring other skaters; but if she calls it a day, she's afraid of COP.
I don't think anyone is labelling her chicken - not when she will face the Olys. An unprepared skater will not do well at the Olys. She has tough competition all of whom will be prepared.

What fans (especially me) are worried about is her motivation to win the Olys. If she chooses not to do the GPs for the feedback but considers the Cheesefests all she needs (from the american judges) then I lose interest in her at the Olys and would prefer to see Bebe or someone else to have the experience.

I just can't see an athlete not take all the advantages there are to win the title.

I do see her devoted fans making excuses for her but I just don't buy that.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
Heather, of course you are very wise to suggest we wait and see what happens before get carried away with our discussions :laugh: , but I will say one last thing on this topic before I let it be.
I will say again that I think Michelle's best chances to win in Torino are if she does the GP. But ... I don't want her to do the GP if she feels she's not capable physically, and risk injury ... and then not get to go to the Olympics at all. How anyone could be "certain" she will lose if she doesn't do the GP, I don't know. I thought the only sure things in life were death and taxes. But hey, maybe you could lend me that crystal ball.

The Grand Prix

I think Michelle, Speedy and the big TV people have already sat down and worked it all out.

Michelle announces that she won't do the Grand Prix, because of the wear and tear on her body, but she will do all the cheesefests that come her way, because of her love for her loyal fans. Cinquanta retaliates by kicking her out of the Olympics, citing ISU rules #382947-x34 and #R978-46592.

The sporting world erupts with angst. The USFSA splinters into two rival groups, the Kwan Fans United and the Speedy Toadeaters.

January, 2006. An obscure, rumpled researcher discovers, hidden deep in the labyrinth of the ISU archives -- can it be? -- Yes! Rule #489305-PG5962b, which overrides the other rules and states that they do not apply to anyone who is a five-time World Champion, two-time Olympian, with black hair and wearing a red dress!

Cut to the beauty shop scene. Here's Michelle, rinsing the auburn highlights out of her hair.

Here's Michelle on the phone to Vera Wang.

Here's Michelle, charging onto the ice in Torino to more publicity than the sport has seen since Nancy Kerrigan dissed Mickey Mouse. Figure Skating Lives!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
You might have the right idea, Mathman. Here is another: There is laboratory in the basement of her new rink that will turn out a lot of Kwan Klones -- one of which will do the GP, while the other is doing a cheesefest set on the same night as the GPF -- and while $peedy is trying to figure out which is which to impose discipline, the real Michelle Kwan will skate in Torino!

emma

Record Breaker
thanks

LOL mathman and attyfan...keep going!!!!! My stomach ache temporarily vanished as I read these hilarious posts.