Mikhail Kolyada | Page 247 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I am really, really sad for Misha, I was so looking forward to him skating at Olympic Games.... I hope he is well taken care of. Also, I really hope he didn't catch because someone in his team, including him, was not careful enough. Because that's like shooting your own feet.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
I am not usually one to “go there,” but I think he was pushed out. First he does not compete at Euros with an injury we get zero details about. Then there is basically a skateoff at Euros, and, really, a campaign for Mozalev. Then when the team is named, Misha is listed THIRD! We see Semenenko first out in the Olympics uniform (sure we can convince ourselves that the whole team gets one). Then we see Mozalev in his. Then all the drama about who skates for the team. I am furious at RusFed. I am tired of Russian national pride over stupid medals. I am tired of the manliness b.s. I am so distraught over this I feel like tuning out the Olympics entirely. There are other skaters I like but not on the level as Misha. And Mishin has an entry now.

So.done.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am not usually one to “go there,” but I think he was pushed out. First he does not compete at Euros with an injury we get zero details about. Then there is basically a skateoff at Euros, and, really, a campaign for Mozalev. Then when the team is named, Misha is listed THIRD! We see Semenenko first out in the Olympics uniform (sure we can convince ourselves that the whole team gets one). Then we see Mozalev in his. Then all the drama about who skates for the team. I am furious at RusFed. I am tired of Russian national pride over stupid medals. I am tired of the manliness b.s. I am so distraught over this I feel like tuning out the Olympics entirely. There are other skaters I like but not on the level as Misha. And Mishin has an entry now.

So.done.
Kolyada didn't go to get his Olympic gear because he was already sick and responsibly stayed home. The rest of Mishin's skaters went to get the gear together with the rest of St.P crowd, while Mozalev was the odd one out, driving to Moscow separately (why they couldn't just ship the gear to StP is another question entirely). Mishin's group had 2 more cases of Covid, Lutfullin and an off-ice coach. Kolyada is sick because Mishin's group had a vector, not because of some grand Russian conspiracy.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
They could have waited for negative test, likely too late for the team event but could have been possible for the individual, if he was valuable to them. The case of a Czech biathlon athlete where precisely that is being done has been brought up a number of times. They weren't interested. Judging by Mishin's reaction, he tried to argue for this but was turned down. Sigh. I don't know what Misha wants to do with his future, but I don't want him to turn into another Voronov, "the violinist isn't needed" (for those who've watched Kin-dza-dza).

Tutto

Record Breaker
They could have waited for negative test, likely too late for the team event but could have been possible for the individual, if he was valuable to them. The case of a Czech biathlon athlete where precisely that is being done has been brought up a number of times. They weren't interested. Judging by Mishin's reaction, he tried to argue for this but was turned down. Sigh. I don't know what Misha wants to do with his future, but I don't want him to turn into another Voronov, "the violinist isn't needed" (for those who've watched Kin-dza-dza).
Exactly, it still full 11 days to the individual SP. Omicron passes fast relative to Delta. It was very probable he could have a few negative tests in time to meet the requirements. But either nobody bothered or him catching Covid was a lucky occurrence for some. I am not in favour of pushing crazy conspiracy theories but all this media hate which intensified 10 fold this season felt purposeful somehow...
I would love dearly to write a few words of support to Mika. Where it would reach him more likely?
I had a premonition that something like that would happen only I thought it would happen actually at the Oly.
Considering the level of Omicron right now at St Petersburg it is not surprise but words can not say how sad & down I am right now.

Our dear Mika, it is the worst possible luck, the cruellest turn of fate but please do not give up, we love you so much and we will look forward to seeing you at Worlds! :pray::ghug:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Guys, really. He was sick, not asymptomatic with an oddball positive test. He missed training already before Euro, then more with Covid. For the conspiracy to take place, there has to be a motive, but none of the 3 teen titans is worth the play. If they simply wanted to remove Kolyada from the roster, removing him at RusNats would have been fairly easy and fast, without dragging out Mozalenko drama. He didn't have great skates there. That's providing the information publicly available being accurate, and if it's not accurate, chances are, he is worse off, not better.

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I don't believe in a conspiracy right now, just lack of interest. As for what's been going on this season, it's quite likely that CSKA wanted to push their man to the Olympics, preferably into the team event. They didn't want a repeat of the last Olympics. Nobody cared enough about Mozalenko to push them in front of Kolyada. Now that they have what they want I hope it may die down, although by now it's gathered a momentum of it's own. But we'll only know if he competes again. Right now I find it so bitterly ironic that once Misha isn't in the way any more people have suddenly remembered how gifted he is and are ready to compliment him. Where were they before, huh? It's like a freaking funeral where you are only supposed to say good things about the deceased.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Anyway, I just hope Misha isn't completely distraught. He is so lucky to have his wife by his side for support. She apparently reads comments on social media and passes those left in good faith to him.

Project Mishin, however, right now looks like a dismal failure. Starting with an endless carousel of programs, adding a second quad in the SP, it's like Mishin expected time dilation to occur before the big competitions where he'd have far more time to sort all of this out than was actually available. Maybe he didn't quite realise how little latitude Misha would be allowed or thought he had more weight to throw around. In the end he was almost left with no skater at the Olympics and certainly without a medal.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
On a happier note, since a lot of earlier videos have disappeared from youtube, someone was very kind to upload Misha's Hallelujah Ex from GPF 2017 (with no commentary), his SP from Worlds 2016 in good quality (with Russian commentary back when TAT actually had something useful to say) and Euros 2019 SP (with German commentary) - Lambiel was a really good choreographer for Misha back before Mishin's "no frills" approach.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aQ-RtSZy0akkTZ7MKgZflgQzyC6pDiYG/view

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13Qoc5fxp1vLBpGj70rFY65i5bEVlBozR

The second link also has some other skaters worth rewatching. I also used to download figure skating videos back in the day, should look through my portable HDs for more Misha.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't believe in a conspiracy right now, just lack of interest. As for what's been going on this season, it's quite likely that CSKA wanted to push their man to the Olympics, preferably into the team event. They didn't want a repeat of the last Olympics. Nobody cared enough about Mozalenko to push them in front of Kolyada. Now that they have what they want I hope it may die down, although by now it's gathered a momentum of it's own. But we'll only know if he competes again. Right now I find it so bitterly ironic that once Misha isn't in the way any more people have suddenly remembered how gifted he is and are ready to compliment him. Where were they before, huh? It's like a freaking funeral where you are only supposed to say good things about the deceased.
Wait and see how the teen titans perform. If they underdeliver, it would strengthen nostalgic wave for Kolyada and Aliev. People kinda tend to forget that figure skating neither begins, nor ends with Olympics.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Misha has been my absolute favorite skater since I first noticed him at the 2015 Rostelecom Grand Prix. I feel so fortunate to have seen him in person at Boston 2016 Worlds, where he was brilliant in both programs (and should have won bronze, IMO). Since then, it’s been an emotional roller coaster for his die-hard fans (like me), but since last season, with his coaching change and health issue finally resolved, there has been such hope and excitement for his build up to the Olympics. As a fan, I’m absolutely devastated, because we all hoped to see him perform to his supreme talent there. But I can only imagine how devastating it must be for him, after all his hard work and hopes and dreams, and knowing realistically that this might be his last Oly cycle. I don’t know about “conspiracy“ theories, but it doesn’t appear that the federation was much interested in exploring a legitimate way to send him for singles. I’m just very sad about the whole situation.

Last edited:

ice_tulip

On the Ice
I don’t know about “conspiracy“ theories, but it doesn’t appear that the federation was much interested in exploring a legitimate way to send him for singles. I’m just very sad about the whole situation.

Yep. There's no way the Russian Federation would have let this happen to their favorite Team Tutberidze girls.

It's so unlikely that Kolyada was the only Olympic skater to test positive recently. Omicron is extremely contagious! I truly believe RusFed would do whatever it takes to keep their favs in at all costs. Obviously Kolyada has fallen out of favor with them.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's rather suspicious that so far it's been Kolyada and Bazin (and a couple of less important coaches), not anyone the Fed actually cares about, and Kolyada has been the only officially confirmed case. It's like they used his example as a PR move "see, we are serious, responsible and totally open about the COVID situation". There are various rumours swirling about (as rumours usually are) about other positive tests. But there is only so long they can keep things hushed up, the arrival to China will be the moment of truth. At this point I am so angry I actually want the Fed to have a big faceplant, but of course it's unfair to wish it on the skaters.

ice_tulip

On the Ice
Yeah, it's rather suspicious that so far it's been Kolyada and Bazin (and a couple of less important coaches), not anyone the Fed actually cares about, and Kolyada has been the only officially confirmed case. It's like they used his example as a PR move "see, we are serious, responsible and totally open about the COVID situation". There are various rumours swirling about (as rumours usually are) about other positive tests. But there is only so long they can keep things hushed up, the arrival to China will be the moment of truth. At this point I am so angry I actually want the Fed to have a big faceplant, but of course it's unfair to wish it on the skaters.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I hope Kolyada can go to worlds and land 4 quads. Bring back he 4Lz as the middle finger into the smug Tatiana Tarosovas face and watch her glare as he takes the gold medal.

As for olympics, I was already thinking of boycotting it, and I think Kolyada withdrawing has cemented this. Best of luck to other athletes, but to me, this doesn't feel like an Olympics and with situation in China I just won't be watching.