Mikhail Kolyada | Page 152 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

slowparade

Rinkside
Yay, SB! That 3A gave me a mini heart-attack, but thank goodness he managed to save it with the spread eagle. He really shines in the second half, and his spins are super pretty (at least, to my untrained eye anyway hehe). Not gonna lie, I wasn't feeling Muse initially but after watching a couple more times during the GP circuit, this program has definitely grown on me. Hopefully, it'll evolve more at RusNats! Also, Chebotareva seemed amused with the puppy plush in the KnC, it was a cute moment.

Praying he skates a great Carmen tomorrow! :pray:

riottegirllina

Rinkside
Oh yes the spin was sooooooooooooooooooooo good
Hope he's nailing the FS too!!!!!!
(and Russia champ and Euro and WC lol)

Yay, SB! That 3A gave me a mini heart-attack, but thank goodness he managed to save it with the spread eagle. He really shines in the second half, and his spins are super pretty (at least, to my untrained eye anyway hehe). Not gonna lie, I wasn't feeling Muse initially but after watching a couple more times during the GP circuit, this program has definitely grown on me. Hopefully, it'll evolve more at RusNats! Also, Chebotareva seemed amused with the puppy plush in the KnC, it was a cute moment.

Praying he skates a great Carmen tomorrow! :pray:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
That’s what it looks like....somebody in the VK group suggested 4S, 4T3T, 4T, 3A, 3Lo, 3Lz-Eu-2S(3S), 3Lz2T(3T) (side note: why can Misha land quad-triples but is seemingly incapable of landing triple-triples? :laugh: Fatigue, probably.) If this is the case, I wonder if dropping the second 3A is what he meant when he told Tatjana Flade he knew what he had to do. It seems to be a major psychological barrier.

Also, not sure if I can post here, but there is a livestream of the competition. Decent video quality, too!
Misha can't jump 3Lz+3T, that'll be a repeat of the 3T. It has to be a double.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I really thought he was going to be pressured into adding 4Lz for nationals, and he would test it out here. It must not be stable in practices at all. :( Adding another 4T is a good compromise, I guess, to show the Fed his tech is still competitive. But three quads still feels like a lot for his stamina, and I am worried about URs and downgrades (last season he would at least rotate completely before he fell :bang:)

Good(ish) news: he’s in the second group tomorrow, skating 9th overall. Less time for those mind games to do their damage, hopefully. (I know he went 9th at CoR, but it’s the principle of not skating in the last group ;))
4Lz and 4S? God save us. And the only Russian man who is jumping 4Lz is Samarin who still has only two different quads. Why would Misha suddenly need all three kinds for Nationals?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
4Lz and 4S? God save us. And the only Russian man who is jumping 4Lz is Samarin who still has only two different quads. Why would Misha suddenly need all three kinds for Nationals?

At this point the lutz should be a plan for the season after the next. Misha can land on the world podium with the current contenders just skating his programs clean. I mean, can we really ask him to skate clean with three different quads? We're already stretching his goals as it is.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
At this point the lutz should be a plan for the season after the next. Misha can land on the world podium with the current contenders just skating his programs clean. I mean, can we really ask him to skate clean with three different quads? We're already stretching his goals as it is.
Even 3 quads with one repeated twice and 2 3As sound like too much for his stamina at least for now. How many times has he skated 3 quads of any kind and 2 3As without pops? Twice I think, and never without a couple of falls.

Why after the next?

vorravorra

Record Breaker
All Misha's 4Lz has to be is less stable than his 4S in practices, I think they are simply not going for three different quads. Another possibility is that he had finally pushed his back to the point where he was told to cease and desist. 4S is far easier on the body by Misha's own admission and the 4Lz was what set off his back problems in the first place.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I think three quads is too much as well. His scoring potential is high enough as it is. I was just thinking back to the post-CoR interview where they asked him about 4Lz, and he said he was still working on it and might do it at Nats. But it’s totally possible that he isn’t actually planning on it, and was just telling the press what they want to hear.

I am worried about stamina in the free, but I guess if there is any time to try out three quads, then it is at a challenger event, and not at a high-risk comp like Nats.

Tutto

Record Breaker
All Misha's 4Lz has to be is less stable than his 4S in practices, I think they are simply not going for three different quads. Another possibility is that he had finally pushed his back to the point where he was told to cease and desist. 4S is far easier on the body by Misha's own admission and the 4Lz was what set off his back problems in the first place.

That is my feeling too. I am quite content with not seeing 4lz for a while or never if it means a longer skating career for Mika.

On yesterday: it is amazing what a different mindset could do -he was determined to fight for those jumps and he won though nothing was easy for him, but those were exactly the landings he would not even try to save normally. Good job! :thumbsup:

What is worrying though he was out of breath long after and that is SP... I am so worried about second half LP tonight - will he simply have enough energy to last :pray:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Even 3 quads with one repeated twice and 2 3As sound like too much for his stamina at least for now. How many times has he skated 3 quads of any kind and 2 3As without pops? Twice I think, and never without a couple of falls.

Why after the next?

For Olympics?

vorravorra

Record Breaker
He has seriously fought so hard this season. By the end of the month he will have done six competitions with possibly a different layout in each one, all while battling illness and the usual overwhelming pressure (even more pressure now that he’s a world medalist). A lot of things bother me when it comes to the way the media treats Misha, but nothing more so than this narrative that he is complacent and doesn’t work or fight hard enough. But I’m preaching to the choir, of course
It's amusing because the general narrative is that it's all raw talent and Misha was essentially born with his SS, lines and jump technique. But I also have come across the opposite version where he only got anywhere through hard work. As far as I am aware he has never been accused of being lazy by anyone who has any inside knowledge regardless of whether they like him or hate him. Of having no talent or no range or not wanting to come out of his comfort zone yes, but not slacking off.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I think three quads is too much as well. His scoring potential is high enough as it is. I was just thinking back to the post-CoR interview where they asked him about 4Lz, and he said he was still working on it and might do it at Nats. But it’s totally possible that he isn’t actually planning on it, and was just telling the press what they want to hear.

I am worried about stamina in the free, but I guess if there is any time to try out three quads, then it is at a challenger event, and not at a high-risk comp like Nats.

My guess is that RusFed monitoring this comp as closely as GPF where men are concerned

rachno2

Record Breaker
My guess is that RusFed monitoring this comp as closely as GPF where men are concerned

Well, not ~as~ high-risk ;) besides, he has a solid SP score and Brown has no quads, so it’s a good competition to try out harder content, if he absolutely must do that (but I’d rather he didn’t). Obviously Samarin could beat him.

Speaking of GPF, Misha’s absence sure was felt :( it will be even more apparent in the free skate, because he has my favorite program of the season of all the men

It's amusing because the general narrative is that it's all raw talent and Misha was essentially born with his SS, lines and jump technique. But I also have come across the opposite version where he only got anywhere through hard work. As far as I am aware he has never been accused of being lazy by anyone who has any inside knowledge regardless of whether they like him or hate him. Of having no talent or no range or not wanting to come out of his comfort zone yes, but not slacking off.

You have more information than I do; this is just the impression I get as an outsider. I was thinking of the endless refrain that he doesn’t fight for jumps (that one is by no means limited to Russian media) and that he’s too content with his performances, even with mistakes. Didn’t TAT imply that he wasn’t a hard worker a few seasons ago, or am I misremembering?

Anyway, he’s worked hard this season and I hope it pays off in the free tonight.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I was thinking more of the endless refrain that he doesn’t fight for jumps (that one is by no means limited to Russian media) and that he’s too content with his performances, even with mistakes. Didn’t TAT imply that he wasn’t a hard worker a few seasons ago, or am I misremembering?
She implied it last season, I can't remember anything earlier than that, she used to (publicly) like him until she figured out he isn't switching to CSKA. I was talking about people who were at least in St. Petersburg, and even better had to do with the Academy or even directly Valentina's group. It's been said that in Juniors he wasn't affected by bad results in the same way and bounced right back and nobody expected the kind of nerves and hangups that are in evidence now, but it's not surprising considering he went as far as nearly quitting at one point. It's easy not to be brought down by bad results when you are not expecting good results from yourself yet. Once he started caring and started getting results it all changed.

Also Misha seems to be one of those people you need to know really well to figure out what's going on inside. It's normal for him to project more positivity than he actually feels. He mentioned this himself, and Stasya described him as someone who is always there to lift the spirits of those around him, he obviously does not consider it appropriate to burden others with his negativity. I hope he has people he is close enough with to lean on for emotional support.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Well, not ~as~ high-risk ;) besides, he has a solid SP score and Brown has no quads, so it’s a good competition to try out harder content, if he absolutely must do that (but I’d rather he didn’t). Obviously Samarin could beat him.

Speaking of GPF, Misha’s absence sure was felt :( it will be even more apparent in the free skate, because he has my favorite program of the season of all the men

You have more information than I do; this is just the impression I get as an outsider. I was thinking of the endless refrain that he doesn’t fight for jumps (that one is by no means limited to Russian media) and that he’s too content with his performances, even with mistakes. Didn’t TAT imply that he wasn’t a hard worker a few seasons ago, or am I misremembering?

Anyway, he’s worked hard this season and I hope it pays off in the free tonight.

TAT has changed her narrative so often one hardly can manage to keep up with her.

His main problem is that he is stubbornly refusing to leave Valentina, that alone and not his meltdowns made him unpopular with RusFed, has he moved to TSKA, lots of things would be totally different (IMHO)

bloomies20

Rinkside
Sad for Kolyada because he is capable of such great programs but today was not his day. Landed the quad, but popped two other jumps and fell on another. He also looked totally gassed at the end of his performance.