Mikhail Kolyada | Page 229 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Someone has really missed the meaning of „fanfest“.... I know why i don‘t post in this forum oft....or read oft...
It was very clear in the Test Skates that the programs need improvement in the difficulty And speed. This doesn‘t diminish A) that the programs are great and fit him very well ; b) compared to the last season the programs have already in september a clear backbone; c) Mika looks healthy and hungry to be back; d) Mika seems to work pretty well with Mishin; e) his movements are sharp and done well, so the basis is still there despite illness and a very long absence for a skater from training.
So yeah, let us perhaps be happy that he is still skating and showing amazing programs and skills. he might not make the team, who knows? He is however BACK and as AMAZING as always.
Have a nice day everybody and try to be nice to others in this nasty times.
My question still stands for ppl more knowledgeable than me. What is he best chance for a second type of quad to add? That is, if lutz isn’t ready. Is there another likely in his arsenal?

I was as mesmerized as anyone watching the Moscow test skates and I am optimistic about the coaching change and season.

Also, someone on twitter posted a link to a breakdown of his footwork. Very interesting! I love how he glides over the ice and all the skating done on one foot.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
So would you know if he tripled the quad lutz or fell? I like everyone want so badly for him to get that quad lutz back but it’s been very long since he landed. Does anyone have an opinion about another quad he could add? Obvs toe is easiest but he needs to add another if he wants to be competitive. (I know JB has sometimes been just on ss and interpretation, but that’s been an outlier.)
I saw on twitter that he did a quad lutz in the warmup of the FS, but didn't attempt it in the program itself. And he probably messed up the quad-combo in the SP.

And well, in my opinion, going for 2 quad toes and a quad lutz would be a good layout for him--as it seems that perhaps the quad lutz is the most advanced. Maybe a quad salchow too, if he can add in the future. But he should definitely start to work on that two quad toes program, IMO, of course.

In regards to layout, we could have a lot of different ones.
Perhaps the hardest one he would ever do, two quad toes, quad lutz and quad salchow - 4Lz, 4S, 4T-3T, 3A-2T, 4T, 3A, 3Lz-1Eu-3S
But if more quads are not working, I would like to see something like - 4T-3T, 4T, 3F, 3A-2T, 3A, 3Lz-1Eu-3S, 3L (which is a layout they might be working on, considering they included the flip in the test skates. But ofc, he needs to correct the edge, which at this point is a chronic problem...)

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
I saw on twitter that he did a quad lutz in the warmup of the FS, but didn't attempt it in the program itself. And he probably messed up the quad-combo in the SP.

And well, in my opinion, going for 2 quad toes and a quad lutz would be a good layout for him--as it seems that perhaps the quad lutz is the most advanced. Maybe a quad salchow too, if he can add in the future. But he should definitely start to work on that two quad toes program, IMO, of course.

In regards to layout, we could have a lot of different ones.
Perhaps the hardest one he would ever do, two quad toes, quad lutz and quad salchow - 4Lz, 4S, 4T-3T, 3A-2T, 4T, 3A, 3Lz-1Eu-3S
But if more quads are not working, I would like to see something like - 4T-3T, 4T, 3F, 3A-2T, 3A, 3Lz-1Eu-3S, 3L (which is a layout they might be working on, considering they included the flip in the test skates. But ofc, he needs to correct the edge, which at this point is a chronic problem...)
Thanks you so much for the answer, coldblueeyes. Although I’ve watched skating since Janet Lynn (yes, I’m that old), there is still so much I can learn!

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Thanks you so much for the answer, coldblueeyes. Although I’ve watched skating since Janet Lynn (yes, I’m that old), there is still so much I can learn!
Ok, another question. Is the problem with the flip is that he rolls over to an outside edge, because he does the lutz so textbook. Sorry to be annoying, but it’s very hard to get info about a skater who is not outspoken in temperament and whose coach wants it this way.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Mishin & Co will be training in Novogorsk for the III stage of Russian Cup (Sochi 23 -27th October) which will take place behind closed doors. Just hope we'll get some decent quality videos!

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Misha is going to compete in Minsk Ice Star on 29.10 - 01.11.2020 with the rest of Mishin's group. In Misha's case he needs this competition due to his minimums being out-of-date.

It should also be mentioned that Mishin talked about him and Misha having a two-year plan. So we can expect to see Misha for this and next season and then he and/or Mishin could retire.

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Ok, another question. Is the problem with the flip is that he rolls over to an outside edge, because he does the lutz so textbook. Sorry to be annoying, but it’s very hard to get info about a skater who is not outspoken in temperament and whose coach wants it this way.
Yes, he has a deep outside edge on his lutz and that tends to cause a problem with an outside edge on the flip. It needs to be remembered that he comes from a generation for which edges were not considered important in their early years when they were learning the jumps (rules did not emphasise correct edges the way they do now). Voronov and Kovtun also ended up with no flip due to edge issues. Moris Kvitelashvili has no lutz.

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Cup of Russia @ Sochi, SP:

LP:

Congrats on the win, he was clearly nervous but was fighting for everything - that axel!
Back competing this weekend - tough but has to be done. You go Mika!

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Yes, he has a deep outside edge on his lutz and that tends to cause a problem with an outside edge on the flip. It needs to be remembered that he comes from a generation for which edges were not considered important in their early years when they were learning the jumps (rules did not emphasise correct edges the way they do now).

Thank you for the information! It almost seems that the problem with his (quad) lutz is that it is TOO technically perfect and so many cheat without edge calls.

Also, you all may have seen this but an interview with Urmonov was posted on Twitter. Here are the snippets:

A. Urmanov: "I expressed my respect to A. N. Mishin, my dear and beloved coach, for the excellent work with Misha. Kolyada didn't compete, maybe, for more than 1 calendar year. It's not easy to come back after such a long time. Now we can say that he completely recovered".

A. Urmanov: "But there is potential to grow. I'm very happy for Mishka, for all coaching staff, because a tremendous work has been done. I remember well that Misha had a wonderful 4Lz, which, I bet, they are restoring. I'm sure, they're working on 4Lz".

A. Urmanov: "Also, Kolyada had 4S. Apparently, as of now, these jumps are a little raw, so we don't see them in programs, but they, of course, should be included".

We are all, I suspect, waiting with bated breath for the 4L to return. The salchow is the one jump I can’t recognize, so if I see one and can’t identify, I figure, must be a salchow!

Also, not sure of the etiquette of posting things from Twitter. Should I credit the person who posted (who prolly translated) and/or the source of the story?

vorravorra

Record Breaker
^^
I have found it is interesting that Mishin's and Tatiana Mishina's interviews mentioned 4S but not 4Lz.
One problem with 4Lz is how much strain it puts on Misha's body, and he is not getting any younger and more durable.

Tutto

Record Breaker
^ Yes it must be the reason or they could be working on both, 4S & 4lz, we should not draw conclusions from what said in interviews, I still hope that Mishin will find the way to optimise the height of 4Lz to make it more stable and less taxing on his back, because it is such a beauty and I just selfishly want to see it again!
Watching LP at Russian Cup again, I get an uneasy feeling that the choreo is being watered down a little, am I wrong? If not, then Mr Mishin is in his element. But if he stabilises Mika's jumps I won't mind that much...
I am amazed that Mishin at 79 not only coaching but skating alongside his students - wow! I've come across this video this morning which I enjoyed enormously - maybe you will too, it is 1968 Olympics and guess who is skating - Mishin & Tamara Moskvina!

Note: For all Mishin's obsession with the jumps for his students, he himself had very good SS it was a surprise to me!

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Watching LP at Russian Cup again, I get an uneasy feeling that the choreo is being watered down a little, am I wrong? If not, then Mr Mishin is in his element. But if he stabilises Mika's jumps I won't mind that much...

I am loving the simplified program; somehow it has made it more ethereal and we get to see long clean lines, holding poses, and edges. There is something special about how he tends to look up at the ceiling, as though toward the heavens. I know people have been expected it to be fleshed out a bit, esp step sequence, and very well may have to be when facing top skaters from other countries (fingers crossed!). But I too expect they are concentrating on jumps and timing right now.

I’ve taken to looking at Nureyev on YouTube to see if I can see movements that are an homage to his style (ala the obvious ones with Plushy’s Nijinsky program). There is, as always, with Misha a regalness that he really highlights here. I know nothing about ballet, but I’m in a little friendly disagreement w/ my sister who is a Nathan fan and is underwhelmed by Misha. (Both my sisters tend to root for U.S. skaters when I like to see which ones move me regardless of country.) I like Nathan fine, but was trying to explain the extension of Misha that appeals to me (she also says she likes Nathan’s inferior posture, lol. Btw, my husband and I have a son adopted from Russia and he had the most perfect posture for years, but now it’s devolved). There is a ballet jump that they both do that I wish I knew the word for to show her to compare. She won’t be a Misha stan, and that’s fine. What comes off as regal air to me could come off as coldness to others. Misha is for sure a skater who is very internal and doesn’t project like Nathan, but this program is not meant to do that. Just give quiet, beautiful, mesmerizing reflection. (I know he projects more in short program and others like Elvis.)

If anyone has any insight into any specific moves that are inspired by Nureyev please let me know. My favorite pose in the program is skating on one leg with arms clasped behind his back looking up which seems Nureyev-esque to me.

Thanks also for posting the old vid of Mishin and Moskvina (sp). Great fun.

Btw, I may have totally messed up the quoting here!

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
https://www.instagram.com/p/CG9Uk3soiq2/?igshid=17caipjjmr9zi
Is this from now? Because Misha may have just landed a gorgeous quad lutz triple toe.

I believe it is! It’s on Twitter with this description:

“A new video clip of Mikhail Kolyada landing a quad Lutz-triple toe loop combination in practice.

Posted by the Instagram account of StartIce, from the Yubileyny Sports Palace - where Alexei Mishin's skaters train.”

Of course, could be not factual as to time but I’m willing to think this is current. He ir heavier and older looking in this.

So exited! It’s gorgeous; super high with quick rotation and ramrod straight!

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I loved his new SP today and I like his costume. Hope to be able to see his FS tomorrow.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Wish I liked the music more. I’m tempted to change it with better music just for my own pleasure. I also wish he projected out more, as he’s done in other programs. (I can’t stand the facial mugging of so many dancers and skaters, but a little bit of looking out into audience would help.) Maybe when he wins a major comp he will crack a smile! The comment from comedian/commentator Leslie Jones from Sochi stays with me, “He looks like a Russian villain” lol. We know that’s because he’s very hard on himself, he feels the weight of Mother Russia especially in Olys and Russian Nats, and his shy demeanor. Perhaps that weight is lifted this season because of the circumstances and we can look at a more relaxed Misha next season (Olys?). He already seems more relaxed with these smaller comps. Next thing is to look like he’s enjoying himself!