Mikhail Kolyada | Page 230 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I might be in minority here, but i like the music from the SP a lot, but i generally love that style of music.I think it suits Mika a lot. For sure, he still can improve it , but i see where he and Mishin are going with it. The idea is to look cool and unfazed, a bit like English gentleman educated at Eton :biggrin:, this puts in contextMishin comentary from the documentar we got at the beginning of the season.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Not too happy about the FS. Not sure what was the problem there, but at least those were the best two quads he skated back to back since forever. His axels are giving him a lot of trouble, but I guess they’re working on not popping the jumps.
He lost the salchow combo, tacked a single toe after the second axel, so most of the elements were there.
The flip is a problem, which is why I’m glad his quad toe is working because they need another quad ASAP. All in all, no falls, and no big pops this time. They have time to workout the kinks until the GP. I wonder if he was tired or something, because making a mistake on a triple lutz is something he never does.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Not too happy about the FS. Not sure what was the problem there, but at least those were the best two quads he skated back to back since forever. His axels are giving him a lot of trouble, but I guess they’re working on not popping the jumps.
He lost the salchow combo, tacked a single toe after the second axel, so most of the elements were there.
The flip is a problem, which is why I’m glad his quad toe is working because they need another quad ASAP. All in all, no falls, and no big pops this time. They have time to workout the kinks until the GP. I wonder if he was tired or something, because making a mistake on a triple lutz is something he never does.
I think he was tired pure & simple, it was, after all, his 2nd weekend competing in a row with travelling in between, + common lack of stamina for that early in the season - hence SP went well, but not enough energy for LP. (he is not that young anymore:)!).I would not worry too much about it. He still got 2 quads +2 3As done, no pops. What worries me is that because of the second 4T they put in LP he doesn't seem to get timing right for the choreo as it was at the test skates, I think he gets frustrated over it hence the mistakes in the 2nd half.
Found this on the facebook:

What's there to discuss? :);)+5 from me!!!

Interview with Tatjana Flade in Minsk:

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
I am loving the simplified program; somehow it has made it more ethereal and we get to see long clean lines, holding poses, and edges. There is something special about how he tends to look up at the ceiling, as though toward the heavens. I know people have been expected it to be fleshed out a bit, esp step sequence, and very well may have to be when facing top skaters from other countries (fingers crossed!). But I too expect they are concentrating on jumps and timing right now.

I’ve taken to looking at Nureyev on YouTube to see if I can see movements that are an homage to his style (ala the obvious ones with Plushy’s Nijinsky program). There is, as always, with Misha a regalness that he really highlights here. I know nothing about ballet, but I’m in a little friendly disagreement w/ my sister who is a Nathan fan and is underwhelmed by Misha. (Both my sisters tend to root for U.S. skaters when I like to see which ones move me regardless of country.) I like Nathan fine, but was trying to explain the extension of Misha that appeals to me (she also says she likes Nathan’s inferior posture, lol. Btw, my husband and I have a son adopted from Russia and he had the most perfect posture for years, but now it’s devolved). There is a ballet jump that they both do that I wish I knew the word for to show her to compare. She won’t be a Misha stan, and that’s fine. What comes off as regal air to me could come off as coldness to others. Misha is for sure a skater who is very internal and doesn’t project like Nathan, but this program is not meant to do that. Just give quiet, beautiful, mesmerizing reflection. (I know he projects more in short program and others like Elvis.)

If anyone has any insight into any specific moves that are inspired by Nureyev please let me know. My favorite pose in the program is skating on one leg with arms clasped behind his back looking up which seems Nureyev-esque to me.
Thank you for your post, sorry it took so long to respond but I suspect his LP we might well be discussing for the duration of this season and who knows maybe even the next one so it is all very much relevant..
Just some comments on what you've said:
re simplicity of the choreography -
yes, it reminds me once again of Sasha Cohen and what David Wilson said about his work on the R&J, that at the very start he realised that only very simple choreo would work for her as Sasha was so exquisite, her lines, her positions were so perfect they spoke for themselves without any need for choreo at all.... (not his exact words but to that effect...)
I think we all agree that the same can be said about Mika (that might explain in part why myself and some others regulars here are 'addicted' to both ha ha)
re Nathan - I know we probably should not be discussing other skaters in Mika's FF but here it is. What you said interests me because I've been long mystified by the fact that Nathan's reportedly had a ballet training but I just can't see any evidence of it. I don't want to sound negative here, and I do have a huge respect for Nathan's technical prowess and competitive spirit, and how he as a part-timer managed to retain his World title is just awesome. But the ballet training I question - I see no posture, no pointed toes (watch Mika's feet even when he is off the ice!) no stretch, no extensions, I just wonder, maybe I automatically think classical Russian ballet and he took classes in contemporary dance, I don't know, I would be curious to know more tbh
re: I too noticed that the theme of the program is a constant upward movement which I guess corresponds to Averbuch's script ''to show Nureyev's life path, his quest for the dance of his life, for his Sun if you like''
The way Mika is floating over the ice, looking & projecting up all the time is of someone about to be born through the air, so one must not be too surprised if he does fly away to the Sun in the end by some magic power, so strong that spell of levitation he impresses on you...
Unfortunately all the above works only if the jumps work, and I selfishly wish they would leave upping of tech for the next season because this program is so artistic I am afraid it will be nearly impossible for him to skate it as well as he did at the test skates with added tech. And maybe for his season when the main goal is to achieve consistency & restore confidence, this program is too advanced. What do you think?
And lastly, yes, it is my very favourite pose of the program too!

Added:
He is on the list of the show ''In love with Figure Skating'' in Moscow this weekend, I wonder what program he will be skating?!

Last edited:

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Thank you for your post, sorry it took so long to respond but I suspect his LP we might well be discussing for the duration of this season and who knows maybe even the next one so it is all very much relevant..
Just some comments on what you've said:
re simplicity of the choreography -
yes, it reminds me once again of Sasha Cohen and what David Wilson said about his work on the R&J, that at the very start he realised that only very simple choreo would work for her as Sasha was so exquisite, her lines, her positions were so perfect they spoke for themselves without any need for choreo at all.... (not his exact words but to that effect...)
I think we all agree that the same can be said about Mika (that might explain in part why myself and some others regulars here are 'addicted' to both ha ha)
re Nathan - I know we probably should not be discussing other skaters in Mika's FF but here it is. What you said interests me because I've been long mystified by the fact that Nathan's reportedly had a ballet training but I just can't see any evidence of it. I don't want to sound negative here, and I do have a huge respect for Nathan's technical prowess and competitive spirit, and how he as a part-timer managed to retain his World title is just awesome. But the ballet training I question - I see no posture, no pointed toes (watch Mika's feet even when he is off the ice!) no stretch, no extensions, I just wonder, maybe I automatically think classical Russian ballet and he took classes in contemporary dance, I don't know, I would be curious to know more tbh
re: I too noticed that the theme of the program is a constant upward movement which I guess corresponds to Averbuch's script ''to show Nureyev's life path, his quest for the dance of his life, for his Sun if you like''
The way Mika is floating over the ice, looking & projecting up all the time is of someone about to be born through the air, so one must not be too surprised if he does fly away to the Sun in the end by some magic power, so strong that spell of levitation he impresses on you...
Unfortunately all the above works only if the jumps work, and I selfishly wish they would leave upping of tech for the next season because this program is so artistic I am afraid it will be nearly impossible for him to skate it as well as he did at the test skates with added tech. And maybe for his season when the main goal is to achieve consistency & restore confidence, this program is too advanced. What do you think?
And lastly, yes, it is my very favourite pose of the program too!

Added:
He is on the list of the show ''In love with Figure Skating'' in Moscow this weekend, I wonder what program he will be skating?!

Thank you so much for this beautifully written reply! You expressed exactly how I feel when I watch him skate and I love what you said about Averbuch’s inspiration with the sun. I love Sasha Cohen too, and it was that same quality (and yes in inconsistency in jumps). (Doesn’t she have Russian heritage? Sorry that I can’t look up. Plus, ofc, Sasha name. I think there is something hereditary abt that!) Didn’t know abt the ballet training w/Nathan, but he wasn’t training in Russia! I don’t see much ballet in his movement, extension, carriage, etc.

ETA: I now had a chance to look it up! Her mother, Galina, was a ballet dancer and is from Ukraine, when it was part of USSR. I find I like a lot of skaters in the US and find out they have Russian heritage. I also tend to prefer Russian gymnasts and find U.S. style to be herky-jerky. (Still love Simone because she is GOAT!)

I’m still learning a lot and I love learning from such knowledgeable ppl as yourself.

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for this beautifully written reply! You expressed exactly how I feel when I watch him skate and I love what you said about Averbuch’s inspiration with the sun. I love Sasha Cohen too, and it was that same quality (and yes in inconsistency in jumps). (Doesn’t she have Russian heritage? Sorry that I can’t look up. Plus, ofc, Sasha name. I think there is something hereditary abt that!) Didn’t know abt the ballet training w/Nathan, but he wasn’t training in Russia! I don’t see much ballet in his movement, extension, carriage, etc.

ETA: I now had a chance to look it up! Her mother, Galina, was a ballet dancer and is from Ukraine, when it was part of USSR. I find I like a lot of skaters in the US and find out they have Russian heritage. I also tend to prefer Russian gymnasts and find U.S. style to be herky-jerky. (Still love Simone because she is GOAT!)

I’m still learning a lot and I love learning from such knowledgeable ppl as yourself.
Kind of you to say so - thank you. I've been watching FS for some 50 years (oh God that makes me ancient ha ha), though missed the 90s almost entirely when I had young family and no time to spare. But there are tons of more knowledgeable people here who can actually skate...sigh of envy...
But it is such a pleasure to share thoughts with other fans. Living in Ireland makes one feel desperate at times - the land of rugby, soccer & hurling. No one, just no one is watching or remotely interested in FS! I don't think they know it is still exists, some older people might remember (vaguely) the Olympic triumph of T&D's Bolero and that as far as it goes...
About Galina Cohen, I'd be interested to check if she really was a trained ballet dancer because though Wiki does say so, Sasha never mention that neither in her autobiography nor any interviews. She always said that her mother was a gymnast (so was her grandfather), and that mother wanted to skate but that there was no rink nearby so she did gymnastics. And amazingly though being a perfect ballerina on ice Sasha got no ballet training herself apart from some lessons for a brief period of time from Russian ballerina (sorry I can't remember the name now)

But back to the present, Mika is skating first in his group tomorrow, a good draw, fingers crossed!
It seems that they replaced 3F with 2A!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Not too bad an SP for Misha. I think he just went too eager for that quad toe, but he's been pretty consistent with them lately. Also, bigger competition for him since Worlds 2019, so he's bound to feel the nerves. He still managed to get his combo and do pretty much the entire program without a hitch. Hoping to see a good FS.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have to say while Misha struggled on his quad today I give him full marks for performance! The swag! :biggrin:

Props to him for keeping up said performance despite the errors, that's super hard to do.

The thing about Misha is when he puts it all together it's outstanding, it's magical. Perhaps if Russia only ended up with one spot for men in the Olympics (gosh I hope not!) arguments could be made for not sending him, but still...

All the Russian guys are up and down though, so really Misha's just as likely to have a good day or a bad day as any of them. Perhaps one day this won't always be so, but that's in the future.

Besides we haven't seen his free yet, it could and hopefully will come together and we'll see Misha at his best.

LRK

Record Breaker
He kept it together in spite of the initial mistake, and didn't let the program - or the performance - get away from him. If you happened to come in later, and missed that part, you wouldn't have known.

And that is highly commendable.

I love both of his programs this year. The SP makes me happy - and the free is just a thing of beauty.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Minha has regained so much confidence this season. It’s not even about the win, but two competitions now that he had to change his layout and he went for it. This time all of his big jumps landed. This is beyond unprecedented for him. I’m just happy that we get to see this. And Misha too.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Minha has regained so much confidence this season. It’s not even about the win, but two competitions now that he had to change his layout and he went for it. This time all of his big jumps landed. This is beyond unprecedented for him. I’m just happy that we get to see this. And Misha too.
Misha has done well but it has been rightly pointed out that this is the first season he is allowed to skate his FS with just the 4T since 2015-2016. Trying someting you can do vs. something you are not quite ready for but are pressured to produce makes a big difference.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Misha has done well but it has been rightly pointed out that this is the first season he is allowed to skate his FS with just the 4T since 2015-2016. Trying someting you can do vs. something you are not quite ready for but are pressured to produce makes a big differenc
It's a game-changer for him, but it's definitely a testament to his better shape that he can actually skate these programs now, and throw his difficult jumps to the end of the skate. I just think it's a confluence of smart thinking now. Hopefully, they can follow this trend.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Amusing, Yagudin mentioned in his ladies' commentary that he'd asked Misha after his FS how he manages to feel his program like that and Misha answered "Lyosha, I just hear the music." Misha's not shy about admitting his strengths. So many skaters spend their careers skating to music as background noise.

Tutto

Record Breaker
What a day it was for Team Mishin - 2 golds & a bronze, big congrats!!!

And what a long road to Rostelecom Cup's gold for Mika:

2015 - 5th (robbed of bronze if I am asked)
2016 - 4th
2017 - 3rd (a medal at last, his first GP medal)
2018 - 4th
2019 - --
2020 - 1st!

And guess what, he skated his debut LP in 2015 on the 21st November, yes, and 5 years later to the day he finally took gold! Isn't an amazing coincidence...

The LP is mind blowing no question about it but I am equally impressed with his new EX, he is just too gorgeous for words.