Mikhail Kolyada | Page 241 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

Tutto

Record Breaker
Somebody needs to get Prokofieva away from Misha's arms. Looks like she finally was allowed to have at it. Misha deserves so much better than her idea of armography. Also better than a week-old SP. Last season was lucky but this season made it more clear than ever that packaging high-PCS skaters is not Mishin's strong suit. I know people said when he moved to Mishin that he should have done it five years ago, but if he had done it five years ago I am afraid he'd not be half as interesting a skater. Whatever you might think of Chebotareva, she knows how to teach SS and bring artistry out of skaters, one can look at Fedor Zonov for the latest proof. Mishin is just not about that as a coach.
Somebody needs to get Prokofieva away from choreographing for him. Period.
Why it was not possible for instance to use Lambiel for the Oly season, they were in France for a summer camp, it was not that hard to organise at least one world-class program for the only medal hope for Russia, was it?
Re-watched both SP & LP today hoping that the first impression wasn't right one, alas... What bothers me most apart from over used music is how few transitions are there at all and that is at the beginning of the season! Mishin is known for 'clearing' choreo as the season progresses, but in this instance I just can't imagine what can be taken out?
We all knew Mishin's limitations but what we all were hoping for was that he would instil some self-belief and consistency in Mika, I am beginning to think that no coach can do that (not just for Mika for any inconsistent skater) There were some improvements in that regard last season but in the end of the day at Worlds when it mattered most he did not skate any better than when he was with Valentina. Of course it is only the beginning of the season but with the pressure of Oly season itself, the upped tech and far from ideal situation with the programs, I can't help feeling gloom & doom
Mishin would be ideal for him as a jump coach/consultant only. Lambiel would be ideal for developing his artistic talent, maybe there is a coach somewhere which combines both...?...I doubt that but one can dream...
And now it seems we will have an opportunity to compare two SL sooner than (I) thought, both Jason & Mika are to skate at Finlandia Trophy.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Another issue I had last season is Misha's physical shape, especially by the end. If you disregard the sinusitis season, it was better with Valentina. Of course, may be it's age, but it makes me want to send Misha to Plushenko specifically for this one aspect since Plushenko appears currently to have the best general physical training of all schools (of course not possible but one can dream).

Tutto

Record Breaker
I finally realised what irks me in his SL costume AND ruins the whole program for me- it is not far from a nazi uniform! When he is on the ice, from the distance the details of his jacket are not so clear, and with grey/black colour, that material and shape he might as well be wearing the dreaded thing. And strictly speaking Schindler was a nazi even if reformed one in the end. I just can't - it is really really troubling me :palmf:
I now will be praying for a miracle= return of White Crow by the RN :pray:

As regards his Caruso costume I wonder if it could actually be his Nutcracker costume as the program was a week old at the test skates?

mmqm0

Rinkside
What is this weird fixation for skaters with using “Schindler’s list” anyway? It just seems needlessly tasteless. Even Yulia’s much acclaimed version feels a bit exploitative. The only person over the years who sort of does the music and the subject justice is Jonathan Cassar. It would be nice if all Holocaust related music would be banned in the future.

Really hope Kolyada would come to his senses and reuse the sublime “White Crow”.

Tutto

Record Breaker
What is this weird fixation for skaters with using “Schindler’s list” anyway? It just seems needlessly tasteless. Even Yulia’s much acclaimed version feels a bit exploitative. The only person over the years who sort of does the music and the subject justice is Jonathan Cassar. It would be nice if all Holocaust related music would be banned in the future.

Really hope Kolyada would come to his senses and reuse the sublime “White Crow”.
I so agree with you. Its just seems insensitive. A notable version imho was by Joshua Farris.

Mika is not competing at the Russian Cup after all. Sincerely hope it is not an injury but taking time to work on the programs. They've got two weeks till Finlandia Trophy.
Just watched Liza there (at RC), yes her program is of the same mould- excessive arms movements & face expressions in a place of choreo. So sad.
I don't quite understand why Mika appears so submissive, surely he knows the difference coming from a different camp (unlike Liza), he could see his PCS suffering last season. I don't believe that Mishin is some sort of tyrant who always has the last word. When Caro was coached by Mishin her programs were still sublime despite (I imagine) Mishin's usual efforts to take this & that out, so it is possible to stand up to him...sigh...

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I have to say that I like Semenenko's programs, but on Semenenko. The team seems better at masking faults and doing more with less than at highlighting strengths.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Mika wasn't at the show in Moscow (his name was on the list) - and with no word coming from the team my uneasiness is growing.
And after reading this interview by Ilia Averbuch my head is spinning also:

In short, he says that he choreographed Mika's SP, that we haven't seen it yet and that we shall see it for the first time at Finlandia Trophy. ???!!!!
If someone can explain to me this situation in plain English, I shall be much obliged! The Nutcracker is back? A brand new program? A re-worked version of Caruso? (the latter seems to be unlikely as he says we'll see the program at Finlandia for the first time?)

Also according to his dressmaker the SL costume has been changed on Mishin's instructions. (How much I wish Mishin would stick to his biomechanics and leave all artistic things to the professionals or just people with more fashion sense!)

If Mika likes to have an aura of mystery he's achieved that and that even without competing yet. Oh Lord please give me strength as the season has hardly begun...:pray:

Last edited:

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Mika wasn't at the show in Moscow (his name was on the list) - and with no word coming from the team my uneasiness is growing.
And after reading this interview by Ilia Averbuch my head is spinning also:

In short, he says that he choreographed Mika's SP, that we haven't seen it yet and that we shall see it for the first time at Finlandia Trophy. ???!!!!
If someone can explain to me this situation in plain English, I shall be much obliged! The Nutcracker is back? A brand new program? A re-worked version of Caruso? (the latter seems to be unlikely as he says we'll see the program at Finlandia for the first time?)

Also according to his dressmaker the SL costume has been changed on Mishin's instructions. (How much I wish Mishin would stick to his biomechanics and leave all artistic things to the professionals or just people with more fashion sense!)

If Mika likes to have an aura of mystery he's achieved that and even without competing yet. Oh Lord please give me strength the season has hardly begun...:pray:
I feel your frustration!! 🙏

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Misha will skate to The Nutcracker. The program is dedicated to Mikhail Baryshnikov (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KMvOQ4HKiw).

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
He will change the program I had the least problem with. Oh, well. Hopefully, Averbukh touched his FS too. Although given the flack Misha got for the Nutcracker in the first place, I wonder who can give him a good program to skate, after all.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
He will change the program I had the least problem with. Oh, well. Hopefully, Averbukh touched his FS too. Although given the flack Misha got for the Nutcracker in the first place, I wonder who can give him a good program to skate, after all.
Argh. I need to express my frustration as well. I thought perhaps they might do some sleight of hand and actual DO White Crow after all. But two slow balletic pieces: one inspired by Baryshnikov, the other by Nureyev? Won’t happen. Sigh.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Argh. I need to express my frustration as well. I thought perhaps they might do some sleight of hand and actual DO White Crow after all. But two slow balletic pieces: one inspired by Baryshnikov, the other by Nureyev? Won’t happen. Sigh.
Yeah, this had put a lid on return of the WC I guess...
I've come across this interview by the composer Goldstein:

He basically says that though the music cuts are of a decent quality, he doesn't see how Schindler's character can be successfully portrayed, as there no music in the soundtrack for that purpose.

Inna Goncharenko: WC was an Olympic program:

After some thought I just hope that in the end of the day if he conquers a 3 quads 2 triple axels layout he will place well. If the SL helps him focus on the jumps, then well the mission is accomplished.
Just a two days to go, Mens SP on Thursday!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Okay. I really liked the choreography for Nutcracker. It just worked for me and it can definitely become my favorite SP. Caruso feels like a waste of time now. Hopefully they’ve worked on the FS too.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Ok, I’m just going to post. I did watch the Finlandia on live stream. I was squeezing my eyes shut during the jumps and just depended on the response of the crowd (I know; I’m pathetic). So I knew it didn’t go well. That and looking at the Fan Fest and seeing I had scroll, scroll, scroll did not bode well. I was watching vids of my second favorite skater, Shona, and I always notice how Shoma smiles even when he messes up, and his interchange with Lambiel are so funny—even though Lambiel is displeased. (I know Shoma can be a little too loosy goosy, sometimes even falling intentionally in practice to get it out of the way.) I decided to watch Misha’s expression and at least he wasn’t cursing at himself per usual. So improvement there—I guess? Well, on to the battling SLs. Not looking forward to that—at all.

There is a line in an old movie called Some Like It Hot where Marilyn Monroe says she always falls for the saxophone players. In many decades of watching men’s figure skating, I always fall for the skaters with immense natural talent and beautiful technique, but that one mental aspect missing.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Ok, I’m just going to post. I did watch the Finlandia on live stream. I was squeezing my eyes shut during the jumps and just depended on the response of the crowd (I know; I’m pathetic). So I knew it didn’t go well. That and looking at the Fan Fest and seeing I had scroll, scroll, scroll did not bode well. I was watching vids of my second favorite skater, Shona, and I always notice how Shoma smiles even when he messes up, and his interchange with Lambiel are so funny—even though Lambiel is displeased. (I know Shoma can be a little too loosy goosy, sometimes even falling intentionally in practice to get it out of the way.) I decided to watch Misha’s expression and at least he wasn’t cursing at himself per usual. So improvement there—I guess? Well, on to the battling SLs. Not looking forward to that—at all.

There is a line in an old movie called Some Like It Hot where Marilyn Monroe says she always falls for the saxophone players. In many decades of watching men’s figure skating, I always fall for the skaters with immense natural talent and beautiful technique, but that one mental aspect missing.
It's always nerve wracking to watch Misha! , he does seem more relaxed now afterwards. Dreading the SL as well! Not sure what the plan is anymore!! I was thinking that maybe he should do two ballet themed pieces. He is good at them. Why not play to your strengths! He has nothing to lose but everything to gain. Nutcracker and White Crow both are different but still in keeping with his style he does best. Win Win. Break the rules as they say. Take risks that can pay off. Just my thoughts. Nothing is set in stone!! Probably retire this could be his only chance to go to Olympics if gets picked and make a statement by skating 2 wonderfully choreographed tribute pieces .

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Ok, Im not going to bother an ETA from my last post but I was so upset about the mistakes that I didn’t see how beautiful the program is. I wish the costume wasn’t quite so on the nose, just get rid of the epaulets and maybe change the color of the front panel. The Carmen jacket was magnificent to show his famous carriage, so this isn’t bad. Just seems that it’s a little literal. Dima’s soldier costume last season was like that. The seem too sophisticated for costumey costumes. But I’m quibbling.

Gorgeous program. Im feeling better about it. Now what we need is for the soldier to completely break out and metamorphosize into the White Crow in the lp. I can dream, can’t I?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think it just depends on what his SL will evolve during the season. If the costume was a bit more refined and the program got that bump in choreography I would be totally fine. But please, just don’t mess with the SP because it feels like when he hit it will be a moment.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I managed to catch up on Misha's skate at Finlandia and I'm not getting all the hate? The pop and fall were not good but I really enjoyed the step sequence and the costume is fabulous (but then my taste in this area is very suspect 😝)!

I hope he he has an amazing free although I do agree with everyone that White Crow needs to come back! I'm honestly worried about how Schindler's List will be received :( There seems to be a number of fans ready to rip it to pieces a lot of them without even seeing it.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I managed to catch up on Misha's skate at Finlandia and I'm not getting all the hate? The pop and fall were not good but I really enjoyed the step sequence and the costume is fabulous (but then my taste in this area is very suspect 😝)!

I hope he he has an amazing free although I do agree with everyone that White Crow needs to come back! I'm honestly worried about how Schindler's List will be received :( There seems to be a number of fans ready to rip it to pieces a lot of them without even seeing it.
It wasn't a pop. Mishin told Misha not to do the 4S.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Ok, I had a zoom meeting, so I didn’t fully focus, but I like the new costume more. I’m warming up to the program. I’m not sure why people on the main Finlandia do not see him emoting. He emotes with his whole body out to his fingertips. Is he supposed to make that yearning facial expression too? (I’ve been to Russia; my son is from there. They simply don’t smile as much as Americans, and I’ve been told we kind of idiotic to them, lol. I can see that.)