Mikhail Kolyada | Page 242 | Golden Skate

Mikhail Kolyada

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I would like to say that, I'm definitely warming up to the program. The trick is that White Crow was a program that could still shine even with mistakes, and I feel like SL could be his vehicle if he lands everything (I mean, within his possibilities). It definitely gives out that Lipnitskaya vibe, for which I'm not mad at all.

The new costume helped out immensely in my opinion, it's more elevated and very serious. I always loved to see Misha have fun with his quirky programs, when he liked them. But these classical pieces just suit him a lot more. And this set of programs can definitely help him. PCS was low, so I guess the judges are still not sold on it, but the crowd definitely was pleased.

All in all, not a bad competition. Certainly not quite the start of season he had last year, but in the end, he lost steam by Worlds. So maybe starting out slow might be better.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello Mikhail Kolyada fans!

I hope you don't mind my dropping in to let you know how much Jason praises and appreciates Misha, and how he reacted to the Schindler's List news:

I must admit, when I first heard that Mikhail Kolyada would also be skating Schindler's List, I thought: oh, noooooooooo! You just need to understand how much I respect Mikhail and how I look up to him from the technical and artistic sides. He's just great.

But then I thought: well, okay - the more the better. After all, this is just a chance to understand that figure skating is about interpreting music. Everyone approaches music with a different understanding and vision, so I overcame the first shock and waited for what Mikhail would stage. And now I'm just happy to understand that our costumes are very different, and the music is cut in different ways, and my heart relieved, ha-ha. I love this music so much that its popularity only means that other athletes have great taste in music. Congratulations, Mikhail.

Google translate, I sadly do not speak or read Russian, but I'm sure some of you may appreciate the original. Of course, I doubt Jason was speaking in Russian :)

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I agree with Jason. The music might be the same, but the programs are very different. Even back to back, there's a little bit of everything for everyone.

It's also good that both of them have been gracious about one another skating to similar themes/programs. They compete in the same group of men, so of course, what one does might impact what the other does too.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Some thoughts after re-watching both programs today:

The SP is definitely growing on me. It is such a pity they didn’t make it a LP – the music just calls for it! However, it is not a bad program at all. Judges love classical music, even warhorses (who could blame them – having to listen non-stop for some 4 – 5 hours to pop, Tchaikovsky must be a heaven to their bleeding ears).

The costume- that’s interesting. I look at the costume itself and I do not like it a tiny bit. I look at Mika dressed in that same costume and I looove it! It looks rich, it sits perfectly (really his dressmaker IS good!) it commands attention (ah so perfect for a podium, gold medals in particular would look at home ;))

Can’t understand why they place a sal first, would it not make sense to go for 4T3T first and then try for a second quad? Expected a more savvy tactic from Mishin.

Now to the SL, I think it is a decent passable program but not a world class. Alas. A costume change for a better I think.

Maybe it is a good vehicle for him allowing him to focus on the jumps I do not know. I still think that WC might return by Euro. The argument that one cannot have both ballet based programs is questionable. Alina won Olympics with 2 ballet programs. The same judges rarely judge both programs and the fans will always find something to criticise anyway so it doesn’t matter in the end.

I actually was not for him keeping the WC but the SL just feels false somehow, not his.

Congrats to him for 3 quads at last! All in all it is not a bad start. I don't know why but I am especially pleased with 3-3 combo which gave him a trouble all the last season. 13 points in a bag!

And I was pleased with his reaction at the K&C. After a bit of a disaster in SP he looked calm & composed and even humorous whereas before he would be beating himself up. I think it is a very positive change in him.

Wonder if he would compete somewhere before the GP?

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
Hello Mikhail Kolyada fans!

I hope you don't mind my dropping in to let you know how much Jason praises and appreciates Misha, and how he reacted to the Schindler's List news:

I must admit, when I first heard that Mikhail Kolyada would also be skating Schindler's List, I thought: oh, noooooooooo! You just need to understand how much I respect Mikhail and how I look up to him from the technical and artistic sides. He's just great.

But then I thought: well, okay - the more the better. After all, this is just a chance to understand that figure skating is about interpreting music. Everyone approaches music with a different understanding and vision, so I overcame the first shock and waited for what Mikhail would stage. And now I'm just happy to understand that our costumes are very different, and the music is cut in different ways, and my heart relieved, ha-ha. I love this music so much that its popularity only means that other athletes have great taste in music. Congratulations, Mikhail.

Google translate, I sadly do not speak or read Russian, but I'm sure some of you may appreciate the original. Of course, I doubt Jason was speaking in Russian :)
Ah it is very of good of you, El Henry! Jason is such a loveable character & skater.
However I wish I could say to both of them (and to all the skaters!) that there is such an easy way to avoid that kind of situation - tons of unused music is out there waiting to be discovered and skated to... sigh...

Tutto

Record Breaker
Super! He needs another competition before Italy.
SP is on Monday the 18th
LP - on Tuesday the 19th

No public I understand but maybe a live stream - fingers crossed!

Another thought on the Finlandia Trophy - there was no sign of fatigue, in fact, he looked as fresh as a daisy after a 3 quads 2 3As LP (okay one 3A strictly speaking) - that is very encouraging (compare to him being completely out of breath at WTT) They must be getting it right this season with off-ice training!

Tutto

Record Breaker
Mika is in 1st after SP:
4sal - fall
4T3T - good
3A - excellent
All the spins - perfect
He skated with more speed & conviction. It was good to see that the fall didn't distract him. The program continues to grow on me. His lines are to die for. Score (note: includes 3 points bonuses for spins)
101.20​
55.25​
46.95​
9.50​
9.25​
9.25​
9.50​
9.45​
1.00​

vorravorra

Record Breaker
After watching the Panin Memorial and thinking of the future - Vetlugin will be a worthy successor to Misha once he retires if Mishin can fix his jump technique (he really should have changed coaches earlier). He is the one young Russian skater I can think of who is similar in style - balletic with good skating skills. He'll definitely start attracting notice of a wider circle of figure skating fans if he gets his jumps together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mj56uDYwXQ

As for Misha himself, his SP is definitely looking better. Not sure how the two-quad idea is going to work out yet, we shall see.

Last edited:

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Although I’m a longtime skating fan, I didn’t really get on the Misha train until Carmen (previously I followed Shoma, who moved me the most). Finally I looked through Misha’s old programs and it’s tough to see his promise and the commentary when he was still in his teens and early 20s. I know about the injuries, the too-late switch of coaches, and the disaster at last Olys (though I avoid watching it).

What is the issue with the salchow? I saw it go nicely up in the air, but then he tilted and fell. He’s not like some of those skaters who can go wildly off axis and then “land like a cat” (Eldridge comes to mind).

I understand that his technique was originally off in the lutz and even though it was gorgeous when he landed it, it only happened once.

We would all have been over the moon if he had landed the salchow today. Not ready to look at up-and-comers yet. Mark intrigues me because he’s so wild and creative. Once he’s tamed (but not too much), he could be great. Until then, I wait for the elusive flawless performance followed by the biggest smile from Misha!

ETA: … annnd we’re still waiting. Misha ended right in front of Mishin in FS, their eyes locked, and Misha shrugged. Tbh, using the same SS *does* bug me. If he switched to WC they would be different.

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yes, not a fan of the identical step sequences, but that's Mishin for you. Excise everything that can at least potentially complicate jumping has always been his approach. It's such a pity when it's the skater's strengs that are diminished though. Well, at least Misha (and Matvei) has aquired his PCS before switching coaches because the skaters Mishin has had since an early age don't have too much to show in that department. Skaters go to Mishin for jumps, so let's hope Misha lands his 4S when it counts.

Tutto

Record Breaker
New interview (only in Russian at the moment):

Very upbeat & positive (y)

Just a week to go till his first GP - can't wait, lets Italy be a happy country to compete for him!

Also he is on the list of the Austria Cup the following weekend which is a bit tight I think?
Meanwhile, getting addicted to the Nutcracker - ha ha, my favourite moment when our Prince goes down on one knee in declaration of love and then leaps again in the air :love:
I love the white gloves - just a subtle finishing touch but so effective!

The new costume for SL I like less & less, it makes his shoulders hunched. I wish they would abandon an idea of portraying Schindler and instead just go with the music and emotions it evokes, a simple costume - a shirt - dark colour perhaps would suffice. Otherwise the wider audience, unfamiliar with the 'scenario', might be left wondering why skating to SL he looks like an office clerk?

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight

Just a week to go till his first GP - can't wait, lets Italy be a happy country to compete for him!

Also he is on the list of the Austria Cup the following weekend which is a bit tight I think?
Meanwhile, getting addicted to the Nutcracker - ha ha, my favourite moment when our Prince goes down on one knee in declaration of love and then leaps again in the air :love:

The new costume for SL I like less & less, it makes his shoulders hunched. I wish they would abandon an idea of portraying Schindler and instead just go with the music and emotions it evokes, a simple costume - a shirt - dark colour perhaps would suffice. Otherwise the wider audience, unfamiliar with the 'scenario', might be left wondering why skating to SL he looks like an office clerk?
I thought he looked like a waiter !! Or a day at the office!! Cant say I'm really inspired by his FS yet!! Willing to be patient a little longer !!🙏😂

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I thought he looked like a waiter !! Or a day at the office!! Cant say I'm really inspired by his FS yet!! Willing to be patient a little longer !!🙏😂
I hope he's just doing this to appreciate white crow more when he abandons this before the Olympics for white crow again.

At this point, I'd even prefer his nightmare before christmas

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
I hope he's just doing this to appreciate white crow more when he abandons this before the Olympics for white crow again.

At this point, I'd even prefer his nightmare before christmas
Lol, I live in hope!! He seems to defer to Mishin without any question!! So Mishin needs to say "we bring back White Crow! " . I do find it quite disappointing that they can't seem to realise what a masterpiece White Crow was!!! I don't know what to think anymore!! 😕 perplexed by them both tbh!!

Tatjana

On the Ice

This interview goes actually with a video:

Even if you don't understand Russian you might want to watch it ;-) It features cat Jasper!

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Also, I don't know what Yagudin's permanent beef with Misha is, but he went as far as to say he feels sorry for the time and energy Mishin has wasted on Misha. You'd think Misha skated like Samarin, Danielian and Aliev rolled into one.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
I can’t take the Mishin programs anymore. I really can’t. So many more inventive skates today, and watching Grassl skating to the White Crow and outscoring Misha stung a bit. He also had some very interesting spin positions. I’ve been watching Vasiljevs for a number of years and he has such a great coach in Stefan. No quad, but the spins are amazing, as expected from the master, and just the pure creativity of his programs. If only he could have Stefan do the choreography.

As for Yagudin, I can’t believe I used to be a stan—until I started reading the translations of what he was saying, and this was way before his Misha comments and the much worse comments about other skaters. What a pig.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also, I don't know what Yagudin's permanent beef with Misha is, but he went as far as to say he feels sorry for the time and energy Mishin has wasted on Misha. You'd think Misha skated like Samarin, Danielian and Aliev rolled into one.
Oh that's rich, Yagudin certainly didn't respect Mishin's time when he moved to T Tarasova and credited her with everything he did decently in a pair of skates, it was like "Mishin? I don't know him." He's such a jerk I can't even.

Fall aside I thoroughly enjoyed Misha today! Even the fall wasn't that disruptive and he's a lovely Nutcracker.

We do all wait with baited breath to see if he'll return to White Crow, but here's hoping SL goes well tomorrow!