Miyahara: "I have a lot of regrets" | Golden Skate

Miyahara: "I have a lot of regrets"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Miyahara, who was in first after the short program, underrotated the back half a of triple Lutz-triple toe, as well as a triple Lutz in combination with a double toe-double loop. The four-time Japanese national champion also fell on a triple Salchow in her routine to Madame Butterfly, but despite the errors, earned the highest program component scores (69.76) of the day.
“I have a lot of regrets about today’s performance,” said 19-year-old. “When I came here, my jumps were not so perfect and I think that connected to me feeling uncomfortable and it affected my confidence. I want to fix that before the Olympic Games. My body is in perfect condition, the problem is in my mind. I need to be stronger mentally.”

More...

Here is wishing her luck in
PyeongChang!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She still has a great chance at the olympics to medal. Wonderful carriage and style. It will be a battle between her, Carolina, the Russians, Kaori and possibly the Canadian ladies.

charlotte14

Medalist
They should not make it a big deal... people rarely care about 4CC anyway, especially 4CC in Olympic season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
She still has a great chance at the olympics to medal. Wonderful carriage and style. It will be a battle between her, Carolina, the Russians, Kaori and possibly the Canadian ladies.

And Bradie......She may have some work to do in the component department but, the girl is a rock mentally.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Gold and silver are pretty much locked for Evgenia and Alina with about a 10-15+ point margin over the rest of the field. The bronze medal will likely be between Carolina, Kaetlyn, Satoko and Maria.

I think Gabby, Kaori, Bradie and Mirai (if she can hit all of her content) are the long outside shots for a surprise bronze medal. Those four can make a dent with their TES if they are clean but lack in PCS to challenge the other top bronze medal favorites. I think performances in the team event will be big for all of the outside shot people. If they can skate well and get some momentum going, that will help with bumping their PCS to a medal competitive range.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am actually glad that judges at 4CC did not underscore the other two Japanese ladies to hold up "Japanese #1." UR has been her issues. So many the the "regret" is the fall. Kaori's programs are designed to win. She really benefited from the backloaded SP and scored high as much as she could.

stormblade

Rinkside
Kaori is basically a Japanese "Eteri girl", only with the strong skating skill fundamentals that many top Japanese ladies are known for. I believe we'll be seeing more back loaded programs like hers from other skaters in the future. It's the only way to stand a chance against Eteri's girls.

winky97

Medalist
Kaori is basically a Japanese "Eteri girl", only with the strong skating skill fundamentals that many top Japanese ladies are known for. I believe we'll be seeing more back loaded programs like hers from other skaters in the future. It's the only way to stand a chance against Eteri's girls.

I actually believe we will be seeing a rule change in the off season after this cycle in done to avoid overly backloaded program. At least this is my hope.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually believe we will be seeing a rule change in the off season after this cycle in done to avoid overly backloaded program. At least this is my hope.

That would be so ISU :rolleye:

As to Satoko....I think we’ll see her at her best in Korea! Memoirs of a Geisha is a brilliant program and I expect her to be ready to go.

No Regerts!!

That would be so ISU :rolleye:

It would be, but not in a bad way.

The ISU has a history of pushing to reward some desirable feature (Biellmann positions, for instance), than to realize that they have gone too far and pull back a little. In the case of backloading, it would be easy enough if they decided to give only a 5% bonus, or to give a bonus only for the four highest-valued backloaded jumps, or only for combinations, etc. Any of these these would have the effect of not pushing the skaters so hard toward backloaded programs, while still allowing them to backload as much as they pleased if this suited their skating strengths and their choreography.

noskates

Record Breaker
Count me in as one who does not enjoy the backloading. I think it really takes away from the whole program.

AnalyticalMind

Rinkside
I am actually glad that judges at 4CC did not underscore the other two Japanese ladies to hold up "Japanese #1." UR has been her issues. So many the the "regret" is the fall. Kaori's programs are designed to win. She really benefited from the backloaded SP and scored high as much as she could.

I think the technical calls were fair, but I do think, though, that the Japanese ladies were as a whole held up higher than they should have in PCS. I don't think that all three are a full 10 points higher in PCS than Dabin Choi.

I would have had the difference been maybe 5 or so between Dabin and Kaori/Mai and another 5 between them and Satoko (yes, the refinement of her movement, choreography, and *purposeful* transitions are that much better; skating skills I'd give to Kaori). The result would still have Kaori in first, and then very close behind, a toss-up between Mai and Satoko.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Count me in as one who does not enjoy the backloading. I think it really takes away from the whole program.

Well just a quick look at the Pet Peeves thread we would see the need to ban just about everything in order to please figure skating fans and their preferences. I have no preference really on backloaded programs but you can tell the points are well earned judging by the amount of skaters who have tried and failed. I suspect though the argument has since moved away from if the points are deserved at this point.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think the technical calls were fair, but I do think, though, that the Japanese ladies were as a whole held up higher than they should have in PCS. I don't think that all three are a full 10 points higher in PCS than Dabin Choi.

I would have had the difference been maybe 5 or so between Dabin and Kaori/Mai and another 5 between them and Satoko (yes, the refinement of her movement, choreography, and *purposeful* transitions are that much better; skating skills I'd give to Kaori). The result would still have Kaori in first, and then very close behind, a toss-up between Mai and Satoko.

Japanese girls were not overscored, Dabin was underscored. If you want talk about overscoring, especially PCS, Europeans was the event.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And Bradie......She may have some work to do in the component department but, the girl is a rock mentally.

Well I agree Bradie could win a medal but she probably has the US reserved spot of fourth lol. The Pewter princess spot. It is always nice to hear Cinderella stories but really there are so many deserved medallists. Carolina the elegant senior skater; Evgenia who up until recently was dominant, Zag who is really comingintoher own, Kaetlyn whohas show such power and drive, Even if she skates cleanly I do not think Maria will be put on the podium if Evgenia and Zag make it. There will be no Russian sweep. I think Satoko looks good for a medal despite a bit of a let down at 4CC's Bradie is the unknown very very consistent if she holds up with the pressure the US will benefit greatly

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Well I agree Bradie could win a medal but she probably has the US reserved spot of fourth lol. The Pewter princess spot. It is always nice to hear Cinderella stories but really there are so many deserved medallists. Carolina the elegant senior skater; Evgenia who up until recently was dominant, Zag who is really comingintoher own, Kaetlyn whohas show such power and drive, Even if she skates cleanly I do not think Maria will be put on the podium if Evgenia and Zag make it. There will be no Russian sweep. I think Satoko looks good for a medal despite a bit of a let down at 4CC's Bradie is the unknown very very consistent if she holds up with the pressure the US will benefit greatly

No offense to Bradie, but if she comes in fourth that means the competition was kinda bad.:eek:hwell:

That means a lot (and I mean a lot) of skaters really messed up. Think about it. Leaving one spot open for bronze, that means out of Katelyn, Carolina, Satoko, Maria, Gabby and Kaori, only one of them skated decently. Everyone else would have to falter to finish under Bradie. Bradie has jumps, yes...but so do all of them. They also have seniority and will likely receive a much better PCS than what Bradie should receive. If she finishes ahead all but one of them? :palmf:

AnalyticalMind

Rinkside
Japanese girls were not overscored, Dabin was underscored. If you want talk about overscoring, especially PCS, Europeans was the event.

My point was that there should have been more room between Satoko and the other two, who in turn should have been closer to Dabin (or now that I look up PCS rankings, Mariah). Mariah is definitely not a full 10 points inferior in PCS to Kaori/Mai. (This being my point I think is obvious if you read my post in context of the thread overall)

Comparisons between 4CC and EC scoring are meaningful in terms of momentum going into the Olympics, but meaningless otherwise. As belabored elsewhere, scores, especially PCS: (a) are relative *within* competitions; and (b) can't directly be compared across competitions. Given (a), "Dabin/Mariah are underscored relative to Kaori/Mai" and "Kaori/Mai are overscored relative to Dabin/Mariah" mean exactly the same thing.