Morgan Matthews to skate for Azerbaijan? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Morgan Matthews to skate for Azerbaijan?

Kypma

Final Flight
The USFS refused to release Morgan to skate for Canada, and it would have taken at least two years of living in Canada for Morgan to get Canadian citizenship. As she and Leif are training in Delaware, that would not be possible.

But once Morgan attains Azerbaijani citizenship (and it appears that that will be quite soon), the USFS no longer has jurisdiction. The question now is will Skate Canada release Leif?

Frasier/Lukanin are the current AZE champions. Kristin is American and Igor is Russian, but both were given AZE citizenship many years ago without ever having to live or train in that country. They have represented AZE at both the 2002 and 2006 Olympics.

So then skaters can represent whichever country they want? I thought they had to have a tie to the country, ie their parents were born there, or something like that. Also, I don't get why the USFS loses its jurisdiction just because Morgan gains Azerbaijani citizenship, if she's keeping her American one as well....

Kypma

gsrossano

Final Flight
The relevant rule is Rule 109. Paragraphs b) and c) cover the conditions under which a skater has to be released by their former federation. The way I read the rule, the release of the former federation is NOT required if the skater is a citizen of the country they are going to -- but waiting periods still apply.

Since the buzz has it they both will be getting AZE citizenship, neither U.S. or Canada can stop it by not releasing the skaters. If Lief were not to get AZE citizenship, though, he would have to be released by Canada.

Why AZE? I am told Morgan and Kristin Frazer are buddies.

Why would AZE give away it's citizenship so easily? So announcers will say "Azerbaijan" on world wide TV in a positive setting at ISU championships and at the Olympics.

But just to muddy the waters, USFSA went through the process of releasing Dice to skate for Japan, even though Dice is/was a Japanese citizen. So go figure.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
But just to muddy the waters, USFSA went through the process of releasing Dice to skate for Japan, even though Dice is/was a Japanese citizen. So go figure.
I don't think they had a choice by their own guidelines. I don't think he met any of the criteria that forces a decision from USFS, which would mean automatic approval, as long as he was a member of his club in good standing.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Ok...so it sounds to me like AZE is given skaters nationality in thier country to make it more well known!! So anyone can go to AZE and get citizenship as long as you are a good athlete. This seems kind of wrong to me.

Kypma

Final Flight
Ok...so it sounds to me like AZE is given skaters nationality in thier country to make it more well known!! So anyone can go to AZE and get citizenship as long as you are a good athlete. This seems kind of wrong to me.

Kind of? I'd say really... I don't think it's really justified, because these skaters from North America will hear 'Azerbaijan' as their country for their competitive careers, and have little or nothing to do with the country in question. And it's really weird Azerbaijan would just take in anyone as a citizen based on sports potential... there is more to being a citizen than just getting the country on the map of figure skating.
What is Leif's country of origin, anyways? (As in, where does his family originate from)

Kypma

debdelilah

On the Ice
Kind of? I'd say really... I don't think it's really justified, because these skaters from North America will hear 'Azerbaijan' as their country for their competitive careers, and have little or nothing to do with the country in question. And it's really weird Azerbaijan would just take in anyone as a citizen based on sports potential... there is more to being a citizen than just getting the country on the map of figure skating.
What is Leif's country of origin, anyways? (As in, where does his family originate from)

Kypma

Maybe it will give skating publicity in Azerbaijan. That could lead to donations helping other skaters, better rinks, more kids interested in skating, etc. The azerisport article I read started off saying, "Changes come forth in Azerbaijani figure skating. No, Baku didn't build an ice arena and our skaters did not become leaders in the world." Sounds a little bitter, maybe, but I get the impression that they don't care that Morgan and Lief don't have Azerbaijani ancestry as long as they can get people in Azerbaijan interested in supporting figure skating.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I assume..

i assume that they're skating for aze because aze will take them, and it is easier to qualify for a worlds there lol

maureend

Rinkside
An Azerbajani Russian-language newspaper ran a column after this year's worlds blasting the practice of supporting "mercenary" athletes from other nations, who "after all only skate for Azerbaijan because they are not good enough to represent their own country". Noting that Frazer/Lukanin slipped in the rankings significantly this year, the author failed to see why the two should be getting sponsorship from Azerbaijan when "we're a desert country. This is why winter sports are not popular." Getting "mercenary" athletes won't change the conditions for winter sports in Azerbaijan, costs a lot of money, and won't lead to Olympic and international sports triumph were his points....

Morgan and Co could be a better bet than Frazer, but there are trends that skaters with huge potential when switching to "lesser" skating nation-states didn't have it work out... Samuel Gezelian anyone?

Maureen

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An Azerbajani Russian-language newspaper ran a column after this year's worlds blasting the practice of supporting "mercenary" athletes from other nations, who "after all only skate for Azerbaijan because they are not good enough to represent their own country". Noting that Frazer/Lukanin slipped in the rankings significantly this year, the author failed to see why the two should be getting sponsorship from Azerbaijan when "we're a desert country. This is why winter sports are not popular." Getting "mercenary" athletes won't change the conditions for winter sports in Azerbaijan, costs a lot of money, and won't lead to Olympic and international sports triumph were his points....

Morgan and Co could be a better bet than Frazer, but there are trends that skaters with huge potential when switching to "lesser" skating nation-states didn't have it work out... Samuel Gezelian anyone?

Maureen

That's interesting---about the Russian language newspaper---because the AZE rhythmic gymnastic team is composed of all Russian gymnasts. I think the problem the paper has with the ice dancers is that while Lukanin is Russian, Frasier is American---if both were Russian, there would be no griping. And of course, neither Matthews nor Gislason is Russian!

The point about potential is a good one. Whether people want to believe it or not, politicking plays a heavy role in ice dance. Matthews/Gislason won't be backed by the major players in ice dance (Russia, US, Canada). The fact that the AZE judge (who somehow seems to sit on every panel) is Russian isn't going to help them one bit.

I think Matthews/Gislason may do a lot better than Frasier/Lukanin, but won't come anywhere near placing on the podium in this Olympic cycle. Top ten by 2010 may be their best possibility. And that is a big maybe.

As to the idea that having a top ice dance team will encourage Azerbaijanis to put on skates and dance, fat chance! Azerbaijan is about 96% Muslim, and I hardly think that families want their daughters wearing the brief costumes sported by ice dancers. And while there is one skating rink in AZE, don't expect to ever see Matthews/Gislason practicing there. Frasier/Lukanin had competed in two Olympics before they ever even set foot in Azerbaijan.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Azerbaijan is about 96% Muslim, and I hardly think that families want their daughters wearing the brief costumes sported by ice dancers.
Nominally Muslim. I don't think that is the problem of why ice dance will never take off there. But I do agree with the conclusion - it will never take off there.

Kypma

Final Flight
Frasier/Lukanin had competed in two Olympics before they ever even set foot in Azerbaijan.

Hm.. makes you think they might be competing for Azerbaijan just to get international assignments like Worlds and Olympics, which they wouldn't reach through, say, the United States. Wasn't that what attracted Chris and Cathy Reed to compete for Japan rather than the States? Then again, their mother was Japanese, so at least they had a tie to the country.

Kypma

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When the Reeds won the 2006 US Novice Championship, Cathy was 18, and she would have been too old to skate for the US in Junior Internationals in the 2006-2007 season. If they moved up to the Senior level in the US, they would have been hopelessly outclassed. Skating for Japan was their best chance to compete internationally.

Kypma

Final Flight
Frasier/Lukanin had competed in two Olympics before they ever even set foot in Azerbaijan.

(Before I start my post, let me state that I know I am quoting chuckm again, and it's the same section, but I have a new idea...;))

I just received my copy of IFS about a week and a half ago, and just realised something: in an article about Amy Parekh, who skates for India, it says that
In order to represent India, Parekh was required, under ISU rules, to live there for one year
. So how come Frasier/Lukanin were allowed to represent Azerbaijan without ever living there? Unless the rules have changed, but Amy Parekh heard of the opportunity to represent India in 2004... I'm confused!

Kypma

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
in an article about Amy Parekh, who skates for India, it says that . So how come Frasier/Lukanin were allowed to represent Azerbaijan without ever living there?
While I do not really know, I'd venture a guess. I think ISU requires skaters to be official residents of the country they represent. However, the country can define "resident" any way it wants. Most likely, India required Amy to actually live there to qualify her as a resident, whereas Azerbaijan was willing to sign off on it automatically.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
While I do not really know, I'd venture a guess. I think ISU requires skaters to be official residents of the country they represent. However, the country can define "resident" any way it wants. Most likely, India required Amy to actually live there to qualify her as a resident, whereas Azerbaijan was willing to sign off on it automatically.

Perhaps another reason why is because India is a new member to the ISU, whereas Azerbaijan has been around for at least sixteen years (since the collapse of the Soviet Union).

Kypma

Final Flight
Ah... okay. Thanks guys, I guess I get it better now. Both answers make sense, so maybe it's a combination of both.

Kypma