Moving On from Jackson Mystiques... | Golden Skate

Moving On from Jackson Mystiques...

flutzyklutzy

Spectator
Hi! I was wondering what the next step boot-wise would be from Jackson Mystiques, and when that would be (I'm assuming after Basic 4 (USFSA))?

I was looking into Edeas, but I'm unsure as I'm not very knowledgeable in them.

I'm 17, 5'0", and weigh around 140lbs~. I have the tendency to roll my ankles occasionally, so I'm not even sure if Edeas will be best, but I'm not sure about sticking with Jacksons either. What do y'all think? Sorry if that's not enough information, I'd be glad to share more if necessary!! (Is this the right forum to post this in?)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I was wondering what the next step boot-wise would be from Jackson Mystiques, and when that would be (I'm assuming after Basic 4 (USFSA))?

I was looking into Edeas, but I'm unsure as I'm not very knowledgeable in them.

I'm 17, 5'0", and weigh around 140lbs~. I have the tendency to roll my ankles occasionally, so I'm not even sure if Edeas will be best, but I'm not sure about sticking with Jacksons either. What do y'all think? Sorry if that's not enough information, I'd be glad to share more if necessary!! (Is this the right forum to post this in?)
Correct forum. What skills are you doing? What is your foot shape? Width? Is it wider in the front, with getting narrow as it goes back to the heel? The opposite? All one width?!

That is what I need to know to suggest boots. Also, you'll need a see a pro figure skate fitter.

flutzyklutzy

Spectator
My skills are kind of all over the place, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing Basic 5-6 skills at this point! So backwards crossovers, three-turns, beginning spins, and bunny hops! I'm also more interested in learning edge control if that helps :0? Foot shape, for like toes? They tape linearly from big toe down. I have very low arches if that helps as well?
Is it wider in the front, with getting narrow as it goes back to the heel?
Yes!
Also, you'll need a see a pro figure skate fitter.
I plan to! I just haven't had the opportunity yet :0!! The closest one near my area is around 2 hours away and works with a different figure skating club than mine, so I'll have to see what accommodations I'll be able to have to see him :0!

I've occasionally had arch pain I believe in my mystiques? But I would believe that could just be fixed with a custom insole possibly :0!

Tysm for your enthusiasm :DD!!

zjamic

Rinkside
Like Ice3Rabbit said: go to a professional fitter. They will measure your feet and have a pretty good idea the brand of skate would work best with your feet, as well as model

What does your coach recommend? This might seem biased because coaches can favor specific brands for skates, but a coach would have a good idea about what models you should look into based on your skill level.

Why Edea? I only ask because I see a lot of younger skaters at my rink ogle at the fact I have Edea and want them because top figure skaters have them. I can't tell you how many times I have had to explain Edea boots to younger skaters and parents, as well as the importance to go to a skate tech that is familiar with Edea because parents seem to want to buy Edea through some online site like Amazon 🤦‍♀️

Edea utilizes a different lacing technique that offers the main support on the sides, which in turn makes the boot last longer. Also, due to the lacing technique you can't "overboot" in Edea; said lacing technique makes the feel of the boot looser in the ankle, which feels odd at first but you'll build ankle strength. The heel height is a bit higher. The shape and design of the boot means a smaller blade will be utilized than with a boot of the same size in a different brand.

I probably butchered explaining that because I wasn't able to show it on the boots themselves, but that's a general rundown on Edea.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Why Edea? I only ask because I see a lot of younger skaters at my rink ogle at the fact I have Edea and want them because top figure skaters have them. I can't tell you how many times I have had to explain Edea boots to younger skaters and parents, as well as the importance to go to a skate tech that is familiar with Edea because parents seem to want to buy Edea through some online site like Amazon 🤦‍♀️

Edea utilizes a different lacing technique that offers the main support on the sides, which in turn makes the boot last longer. Also, due to the lacing technique you can't "overboot" in Edea; said lacing technique makes the feel of the boot looser in the ankle, which feels odd at first but you'll build ankle strength. The heel height is a bit higher. The shape and design of the boot means a smaller blade will be utilized than with a boot of the same size in a different brand.
You most certainly can overboot in Edea! I see it all the time, sometimes dangerously so. I'm sure Ic3Rabbit will expand on this, too, but I see far too many - mainly older teens and especially adult - skaters who are struggling with things needlessly because they are overbooted in Edea. Overbooting affects all aspects of skating, including things like spirals, and can cause injuries, too. It's a total myth about Edea. Sorry. I know they're the in thing at the moment, but they really aren't for everybody. And if I had a pound/dollar for every time a coach rolled their eyes, even inwardly, at another overbooted skater in Ice Fly or Piano, I'd be ordering custom Harlicks in every colour!

zjamic

Rinkside
You most certainly can overboot in Edea! I see it all the time, sometimes dangerously so. I'm sure Ic3Rabbit will expand on this, too, but I see far too many - mainly older teens and especially adult - skaters who are struggling with things needlessly because they are overbooted in Edea. Overbooting affects all aspects of skating, including things like spirals, and can cause injuries, too. It's a total myth about Edea. Sorry. I know they're the in thing at the moment, but they really aren't for everybody. And if I had a pound/dollar for every time a coach rolled their eyes, even inwardly, at another overbooted skater in Ice Fly or Piano, I'd be ordering custom Harlicks in every colour!
"In EDEA Skates you cannot “OverBoot” the skater because the basic design of not trying to bend the top part of the Skate forward, because all of the bending is done on the Tongue."

Where as with a higher level Jacksons with someone doing basics you will overboot due to stiffness in the ankles - Edea doesn't. They overboot for their skills and their wallets, yes. This is why I said to go to a skate tech that knows and deals regularly with Edea; this why I tell people at my rink not to get Edea without going to a skate tech just because skaters like Hanyu wear them.

Also, coaches varies. My one coach recommended me Edea, while the other coach at the rink chimed in her experience on Riedells because that is what she had but she didn't dis Edea because everyone's foot is different and she told me to go to a skate tech. The skate tech even informed me that people getting Concertos, Ice Fly, or Piano (if I could but they don't do E width) wouldn't be nesscary for someone learning basics or not very far into jumps but they could if they wanted to spend the money; he did state he sometimes recommends upping the boot stiffness due to a skaters weight to prevent premature breakdown.

Ameliaskates

Rinkside
I've been a long time lurker in this forum but I just HAD to make an account specifically to say that @WednesdayMarch is right about Edea! You absolutely CAN overboot. I'm 5 foot 5, 52kg jumping all singles excluding axel and I was fitted for overtures which have lasted me well through my jumps, although I'll be needing new skates soon. I actually knew a skater who couldn't get her loop jump because she bought ice flies and she couldn't get the knee bend required to lift. She ended up quitting. Of course everyone has different needs, but I just had to point out that for people with an edea foot, overture and chorus are more than enough for starting out in the vast majority of cases.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've been a long time lurker in this forum but I just HAD to make an account specifically to say that @WednesdayMarch is right about Edea! You absolutely CAN overboot. I'm 5 foot 5, 52kg jumping all singles excluding axel and I was fitted for overtures which have lasted me well through my jumps, although I'll be needing new skates soon. I actually knew a skater who couldn't get her loop jump because she bought ice flies and she couldn't get the knee bend required to lift. She ended up quitting. Of course everyone has different needs, but I just had to point out that for people with an edea foot, overture and chorus are more than enough for starting out in the vast majority of cases.
Thank you, we who know have said it a million times here but certain skaters will always say it's wrong. Thank you for your example that overbooting in Edea is possible and you've seen it first hand like the rest of us.

Last edited:

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Come here to say, even my Edea boot fitter says you CAN overboot in Edea. She’s a parent of a skater as well as the Edea rep and fitter. She has branched out a bit to other brands recently since she is all about the right boot for the skater. It might be a litle less evident but it is a reality. So be careful out there people.

shumaislife

Rinkside
Just one more example if I may: Although Edeas don't fit my foot shape at all .. my fitter who sells Edeas the most did push me Ice Fly's even though I am an ultra beginner saying you "can't overboot". I tried squeezing the boot with my hands, and those Ice Fly's were rock hard! It was obvious that it would be beyond an overboot for someone who is starting LTS 1.

Not to mention Gracie Gold, who is exactly my height and appears to be my exact weight, uses Ice Flys to jump triples. If I hadn't asked for lots of advice before going, I could easily have been mislead to throw away $750 (+tax) for a pair of boots that I had no business wearing.

flutzyklutzy

Spectator
I don't know much about other brands besides Jackson and Edea. I'm definitely okay with choosing something else if needed. I plan to see a professional fitter possibly Saturday? I don't know :(. I feel as if I'm still not skilled enough to be enough to be going through these processes. But just to ask, what would be the Edea (or other brands :0) equivalent to Jackson Elles?

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Overture for Edea but they'd only fit your foot if the difference between your heel and toes is minor. I know Edea rarely gets recommended on this site but your toe shape does not sound like Edea would like it. You'd have a lot of pressure on your big toe that would cause a bit of arch pain. You can get it custom molded a little bit which could help.

Graf would have you in Richmond Special I think, but I don't know if they've changed their boots much since I last handled them. They'd fit better than an Edea straight out of the box based off what you have mentioned about your feet.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Overture for Edea but they'd only fit your foot if the difference between your heel and toes is minor. I know Edea rarely gets recommended on this site but your toe shape does not sound like Edea would like it. You'd have a lot of pressure on your big toe that would cause a bit of arch pain. You can get it custom molded a little bit which could help.

Graf would have you in Richmond Special I think, but I don't know if they've changed their boots much since I last handled them. They'd fit better than an Edea straight out of the box based off what you have mentioned about your feet.
Nope, not Richmond Special for Graf, that would be too much for her. F4000 IIRC is the name of the one she'd need.