Should I upgrade from Jackson Mystiques? | Golden Skate

Should I upgrade from Jackson Mystiques?

tedonedges

Spectator
Hello everyone! I am 16 and started skating around 3 months ago with Jackson Mystiques. I take private lessons weekly and head to the rink for around 1-2 times per week for around 2 hours.

Currently I'm working on 3 turn, mohawk and lunges, which is at ISI Gamma/Delta level, and I haven't started on the jumps yet. Since I started skating in those boots I have been experiencing arch pain every 10-30 mins, and I'm not sure whether it is normal or not. Recently, the laces are beginning to loosen faster than before as well. And as I work on my lunges I noticed that it isn't giving me enough bend, so my coach suggested only lacing up until the 3rd hook (there are 4 hooks in total). However after I have done so the boot (especially for the sides) feels a bit wobbly despite my attempt to tighten the three hooks as tight as I could, and I often feel my heel slipping a bit in the sole as well. I'm not certain whether it is my own problem or is it time to change the skates.

I have done some research online and people normally upgrade from Mystiques after learning at least a jump or a few turns, and therefore I'm not sure if I should continue skating in those boots until reaching that level. Plus till now there aren't any creases on my boot yet so it is still fine to skate in. I am also not sure whether is it because I'm not practicing enough or I need a stiffer boot for my level, and if so, which boots would you recommend? I have greek foot btw and the shops in the place I live in mainly sells Jackson and Edea boots and I don't really know how to choose between them as well.

Thanks a lot!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone! I am 16 and started skating around 3 months ago with Jackson Mystiques. I take private lessons weekly and head to the rink for around 1-2 times per week for around 2 hours.

Currently I'm working on 3 turn, mohawk and lunges, which is at ISI Gamma/Delta level, and I haven't started on the jumps yet. Since I started skating in those boots I have been experiencing arch pain every 10-30 mins, and I'm not sure whether it is normal or not. Recently, the laces are beginning to loosen faster than before as well. And as I work on my lunges I noticed that it isn't giving me enough bend, so my coach suggested only lacing up until the 3rd hook (there are 4 hooks in total). However after I have done so the boot (especially for the sides) feels a bit wobbly despite my attempt to tighten the three hooks as tight as I could, and I often feel my heel slipping a bit in the sole as well. I'm not certain whether it is my own problem or is it time to change the skates.

I have done some research online and people normally upgrade from Mystiques after learning at least a jump or a few turns, and therefore I'm not sure if I should continue skating in those boots until reaching that level. Plus till now there aren't any creases on my boot yet so it is still fine to skate in. I am also not sure whether is it because I'm not practicing enough or I need a stiffer boot for my level, and if so, which boots would you recommend? I have greek foot btw and the shops in the place I live in mainly sells Jackson and Edea boots and I don't really know how to choose between them as well.

Thanks a lot!
Hi. Height/Weight/arch height? Have you seen a pro fitter?

tedonedges

Spectator
Hello :D I'm 5′0″ and 110lbs. My arch is a normal one and I haven't seen a pro fitter yet cuz I wasn't sure if I need to change another boot

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello :D I'm 5′0″ and 110lbs. My arch is a normal one and I haven't seen a pro fitter yet cuz I wasn't sure if I need to change another boot
Your boots are not stiff enough and Mystiques aren't going to do the job either. It sounds like with the heel slipping your foot may not even be good with Jackson boots. You might want to look into Risport or Graf boots and these are going to be separate boot/blade. You need to get a proper fitting by a figure skating pro fitter. What part of the world are you in and we could suggest a good one.

tedonedges

Spectator
Your boots are not stiff enough and Mystiques aren't going to do the job either. It sounds like with the heel slipping your foot may not even be good with Jackson boots. You might want to look into Risport or Graf boots and these are going to be separate boot/blade. You need to get a proper fitting by a figure skating pro fitter. What part of the world are you in and we could suggest a good one.
I see. I live in Hong Kong and so far I don't know where to find a professional fitter :(

I'm also wondering whether the reason for my arch pain is the wide shape of Jackson boots that causes my arch muscles to use excessive strength given my normal arch, cause its been 3 months already since I started skating in them, so I guess they aren't supposed to ache that much? Is a snugger boot going to fix the problem? Or might is be as a result of sth else? After all its only my assumption as I haven't tried other boots before.

Btw may I also have your opinion on whether edea boots will suit me? I've heard that their boots are comparably durable and easier to be broken in, but I'm not sure whether it is going to fit my level/feet as it seems that the ankle part is looser as well. Would you mind explaining the respective benefits and difficulties of switching to risport/graf or edea.

Thanks for your kind help!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I see. I live in Hong Kong and so far I don't know where to find a professional fitter :(

I'm also wondering whether the reason for my arch pain is the wide shape of Jackson boots that causes my arch muscles to use excessive strength given my normal arch, cause its been 3 months already since I started skating in them, so I guess they aren't supposed to ache that much? Is a snugger boot going to fix the problem? Or might is be as a result of sth else? After all its only my assumption as I haven't tried other boots before.

Btw may I also have your opinion on whether edea boots will suit me? I've heard that their boots are comparably durable and easier to be broken in, but I'm not sure whether it is going to fit my level/feet as it seems that the ankle part is looser as well. Would you mind explaining the respective benefits and difficulties of switching to risport/graf or edea.

Thanks for your kind help!
If you like them tighter in the ankle, then edea is out plus multiple other things that won't work for your foot the way it sounds. They aren't more durable either, so IDK where you heard that. All boots break down.

Risport isn't as wide like Jackson, same with Graf, so your ankles shouldn't slip like they do in the wider Jackson.
CityPalace Ice Shop is probably going to be your best bet, but I don't know what brands they carry TBH.
Another skate brand from Asia that would be a choice for you is Golden Horse. If this fits you well, you may be able to use these up through single axel. https://ghskates.com/products/g-h-glide-lt-ice-figure-skates-%E7%9A%84%E5%89%AF%E6%9C%AC
Just know that any of the boots I'm suggesting are boot only, you will need to also get an intermediate blade like John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro.

Good luck!

tedonedges

Spectator
If you like them tighter in the ankle, then edea is out plus multiple other things that won't work for your foot the way it sounds. They aren't more durable either, so IDK where you heard that. All boots break down.

Risport isn't as wide like Jackson, same with Graf, so your ankles shouldn't slip like they do in the wider Jackson.
CityPalace Ice Shop is probably going to be your best bet, but I don't know what brands they carry TBH.
Another skate brand from Asia that would be a choice for you is Golden Horse. If this fits you well, you may be able to use these up through single axel. https://ghskates.com/products/g-h-glide-lt-ice-figure-skates-%E7%9A%84%E5%89%AF%E6%9C%AC
Just know that any of the boots I'm suggesting are boot only, you will need to also get an intermediate blade like John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Pro.

Good luck!
Thank you for the advice! I will go to the store and see what the fitter recommends :D