National Compliment Day | Golden Skate

National Compliment Day

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jan 24th is National Compliment Day! Share your compliments to your favorite skaters here and/or Twitter!

Manitou

Medalist
Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue - for your unreal persistence in your progress. Only one year ago I was more than sure that you were life-locked to the third US spot and little relevance on the international stage. In the most rigid, stiff, judged, reputation-based and conservative sport discipline.
While it takes years of solid consistence to move up one single spot in rankings, it took you one year to become a real contender for the Olympic medal. I am impressed.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Elladj Balde for bring us the uptown funk. Best of luck in the future, slay at 4CC.

Manitou

Medalist
Zhenya Medvedeva and Alina Zagitova - I know we don't see the actual reality, but from what I can see I am impressed by the friendly attitude and support to each other between you both. You are the top two contenders for the biggest prize in figure skating there is. And yet you maintain your public image as very supportive teammates. I am not used to seeing this here in the US, I have seen so many opposite and negative examples of teammate rivalries, that your example is inspiring. Whatever is happening in reality, if anything at all, I am happy that you are giving such a good example to the world.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Eteri Tutberidze: you are possibly the greatest coach ever! Keep doing what you're doing because it's working! Your students are the most enjoyable to watch!! :biggrin: :love:

noskates

Record Breaker
I want to compliment Adam Rippon for finally making it to the Olympics and for putting behind him all the "yips" that plagued him as a senior. I've followed him since he was in the junior ranks and had that full head of lovely curls. Whether you like his lifestyle or his outspokenness, Adam is a force to be reckoned with. I hope he does well at the Olys.

Manitou

Medalist
Eteri Tutberidze: you are possibly the greatest coach ever! Keep doing what you're doing because it's working! Your students are the most enjoyable to watch!! :biggrin: :love:

The really hilarious thing was when some time not long ago somebody from Golden Skate was interviewing Eteri and asked this question - do you feel intimidated being surrounded by those greatest world coaches? (more or less, no exact wording). I wanted to laugh so much. He should have asked those coaches instead - do you all feel intimidated by Eteri? lol

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To Nathan Chen, thank you for revitalizing American figure skating and rewriting the playbook for men.

Thank you also for your new sleek, modern, athletic costumes - although I don't necessarily think you needed Vera Wang, You could have had Nike design them.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you Yulia for persevering and confronting your most inner demons and putting your health first. The example you’ve set for people with personal struggle is admirable. On top of that returning to and commentating the sport with such praise and positivity of all skaters regardless of nationality or skill is remarkable. Her love of Wakababy and her skating was really fun to watch...oh the gushing. The way she empathizes with all competitors who struggle and celebrates with those who achieve has been music to my ears...technically my eyes since I have to read translations.

BTW: Thanks to all who took the time to translate her words. It’s more appreciated than I can ever express :)

Special shout out to Anastasia Gubanova for skating with her heart. I may have stopped following the sport last season if not for this one. Now my favorites list is rather full again :eek::

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown.

For demonstrating that skaters still could show pure joy in being out on the ice. A joy that brought me, and many others, back to watching skating. :yes:

noskates

Record Breaker
Jason Brown.

For demonstrating that skaters still could show pure joy in being out on the ice. A joy that brought me, and many others, back to watching skating. :yes:

I'll definitely second that! I recently rewatched Riverdance and was again struck by how Jason is generally one with the music. I say generally because Hamilton kind of left me wanting more. I hope Jason never loses that specialness that cannot be learned or choreographed. It just comes from within him in everything he does.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Mao, you have the most beautiful triple axel.

I was watching your Vancouver Olympics SP last night... your movements were so sharp, your skating so fluid, your mood so alive and your smile so endearing... I don't know how to describe you as a skater except to say, you are truly something special. I will never get tired of watching your performances.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I would love to compliment any skater receiving a personal or seasons best score. It’s always such a pleasure to see one get excited over it 😊

millie

Medalist
Kaetlyn Osmond, a small town girl on her way to the Olympics. It doesn't matter if you get on the podium or not. All that matters is that you do your best and do it with Pride for your Newfoundland and Canada. Best of luck.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao, you have the most beautiful triple axel.

I was watching your Vancouver Olympics SP last night... your movements were so sharp, your skating so fluid, your mood so alive and your smile so endearing... I don't know how to describe you as a skater except to say, you are truly something special. I will never get tired of watching your performances.

I miss her so much!! She is such a special person who looked like she was doing what she was born to do every time she laced up. Thanks Mao for the many inspirational moments!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Laurine, your double axel with that falling leaf transition is to die for and your expressive hands and total commitment to your choreography are the last word in beautiful. I can't wait to see what you do next season. Have faith in yourself!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have no idea which country this is suppose to be National Compliment Day but I think it is a lovely sentiment. My list is long.

1. To distinguished Susan Lucci's - skaters who were amazing and made incredible contributions to the sport in respect to skill, talent, personality and or artistry but just didn't have things work out at the Olympics - Brian Orser, Michelle Kwan, Patrick Chan, Elvis Stojko, Mao Asada, Midori Ito

2. To hard luck Olympians who were amazing champions but received no Olympic medal (individual)- Tai Babalonia and Randy Gardner, Kurt Browning, Josee Chouinard, Johnny Weir, Emanual Sandu, Maria Butyrskaya, Julia Lipnskaya, Liza T, Elena Radinova,

3. Oksana Baiul for being the orphan waif who stood up against adversity - poverty, no family and no13,000 dollar Vera Wang dress and a stabbed back and injured calf caused by a fluke accident.

4. Denise biellman for the Biellman

5. Jeffrey Buttle an understated beautifulskater

6. Adelina Sotnikova, Evgenia and Alina - for continuing on despite hatred being aimed at them.

desertskates

Medalist
Thank you to all of you here for posting such nice compliments and putting a smile on my face!
And a compliment for Mai Mihara: I LOVE the new bangs :) Hope we get to see her and more of the younger up and comers in the 2022 games.

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Mirai Nagasu, for having early success, but still working to improve and challenge yourself 10 years later, not giving up when things didn't go your way, and drawing strength and motivation from both positive and negative experiences.