Need help with skates! | Golden Skate

Need help with skates!

adri.skater

Spectator
hi! I’m a teen skater looking for new skates soon. for reference im around 110 lbs and 5’7 ish. i currently have Jackson Elle’s, which personally just suck. the tongue comes down really far after just 10 minutes of skating and they don’t give me support anymore. I’m currently about to test pre prelim MIF and I’m working on lutz, axel, and soon doubles. I’ve been looking at Edea chorus because I feel like they will last me a good 2 years, and everyone that I know says that they are really good and supportive but idk if they’re good for me because I’ve never got fitted before. Im unsure about blades though. I looked at Jackson matrix (idk if it was the supreme or legacy, but it was the less expensive one lol) because I think they’re good for axel, but recently I’ve been looking at coronation ace and I feel like they would be good too, but I’m unsure on what to get. I went to the pro shop at my rink a few times and they’ve told me that I’m 260 but I need to try on someone else’s skates to get my correct size. thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
hi! I’m a teen skater looking for new skates soon. for reference im around 110 lbs and 5’7 ish. i currently have Jackson Elle’s, which personally just suck. the tongue comes down really far after just 10 minutes of skating and they don’t give me support anymore. I’m currently about to test pre prelim MIF and I’m working on lutz, axel, and soon doubles. I’ve been looking at Edea chorus because I feel like they will last me a good 2 years, and everyone that I know says that they are really good and supportive but idk if they’re good for me because I’ve never got fitted before. Im unsure about blades though. I looked at Jackson matrix (idk if it was the supreme or legacy, but it was the less expensive one lol) because I think they’re good for axel, but recently I’ve been looking at coronation ace and I feel like they would be good too, but I’m unsure on what to get. I went to the pro shop at my rink a few times and they’ve told me that I’m 260 but I need to try on someone else’s skates to get my correct size. thanks!
You need a pro fitting, not to try on anothers skates, you need what is good for you, not what others are wearing for their own feet. Please let us know the area you are in and we can suggest a pro fitter, not a pro shop per se. Only a pro fitting will tell you what brand is best for your foot.

I'm going to tell you straight that Coronation Ace or MK Pro are the better blades compared to what you have been looking at.

adri.skater

Spectator
You need a pro fitting, not to try on anothers skates, you need what is good for you, not what others are wearing for their own feet. Please let us know the area you are in and we can suggest a pro fitter, not a pro shop per se. Only a pro fitting will tell you what brand is best for your foot.

I'm going to tell you straight that Coronation Ace or MK Pro are the better blades compared to what you have been looking at.
Thanks! I’m in the South FL area.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Absolutely get a fitting. Go to a figure skating specific shop.. any skating club in your area can recommend you some. Don’t try on other skaters skates. It’s a waste of time. Anything Edea is top notch skate.. very supportive. As for blades get a good freestyle blade ..MK makes good ones ..John Wilson too.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Absolutely get a fitting. Go to a figure skating specific shop.. any skating club in your area can recommend you some. Don’t try on other skaters skates. It’s a waste of time. Anything Edea is top notch skate.. very supportive. As for blades get a good freestyle blade ..MK makes good ones ..John Wilson too.
Not EVERYTHING edea is a top notch very supportive skate. Same is true of other brands as well.

adri.skater

Spectator
I've suggested Graf and Riedell in past, but we really don't know the op's foot so I refrain from doing so until I know.
I’ve had Riedell before, and for me they weren’t good, which is why I switched to Jackson’s and I’ve had 3 pairs of Jackson’s but they were never really good. I’ve never heard of Graf before though.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’ve had Riedell before, and for me they weren’t good, which is why I switched to Jackson’s and I’ve had 3 pairs of Jackson’s but they were never really good. I’ve never heard of Graf before though.
So, the brand you wear is based on your specific foot measurements and needs. If you didn't fit Riedell before then Graf and Edea will most likely be out. That leaves you with Jackson and Risport.

adri.skater

Spectator
So, the brand you wear is based on your specific foot measurements and needs. If you didn't fit Riedell before then Graf and Edea will most likely be out. That leaves you with Jackson and Risport.
I don’t think I didn’t like the riedell bc of my foot measurements, but more of because they don’t have a lot of support for me. same with Jacksons. Idk if that helps lol. I’m pretty sure I’ve also had a pair of Risports a while back (I’ve had a lot of skates lol) but I don’t remember how I felt about them. I particularly like edeas because a lot of ppl say they have a lot of support and I’ve tried on a pair of ice flys before but I know that they were going to feel way different than the skates that I wanted (the choruses) and that they don’t feel the same because I’m pretty sure ice flys are stiffer.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Well your Jacksons don't have enough support because you're wearing Elles! You never should have been wearing such a soft boot at your weight and skill level. You're jumping axels and soon doubles, you need to be in Premieres at a minimum.

Also, again, at your weight and skill level, Edea Chorus isn't going to last you 2 years. You'll get a year out of them, maybe less, depending on how many hours you skate.

At your skill level, it would behoove you to become more educated about different boot and blade models.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don’t think I didn’t like the riedell bc of my foot measurements, but more of because they don’t have a lot of support for me. same with Jacksons. Idk if that helps lol. I’m pretty sure I’ve also had a pair of Risports a while back (I’ve had a lot of skates lol) but I don’t remember how I felt about them. I particularly like edeas because a lot of ppl say they have a lot of support and I’ve tried on a pair of ice flys before but I know that they were going to feel way different than the skates that I wanted (the choruses) and that they don’t feel the same because I’m pretty sure ice flys are stiffer.
Why not just say you are set on having Edea's that are ranked too high for your skill level b/c you want them and have it over with? :shrug: I mean, we've made the suggestions as expert(s) in what you need which is why you would be here asking in the first place. You have rejected them all. Just because you've been wearing boots in those other brands that weren't properly fit to you foot and skill level not to mention stiffness needs. I'm kind of at my wit's end at this point. If you want an ice fly then just go get one, but don't be upset if they don't properly fit you and are too stiff for your needs and possibly injure you. I'm sorry but that's how it works in skating.

Last edited:

adri.skater

Spectator
Why not just say you are set on having Edea's that are ranked too high for your skill level b/c you want them and have it over with? :shrug: I mean, we've made the suggestions as expert(s) in what you need which is why you would be here asking in the first place. You have rejected them all. Just because you've been wearing boots in those other brands that weren't properly fit to you foot and skill level not to mention stiffness needs. I'm kind of at my wit's end at this point. If you want an ice fly then just go get one, but don't be upset if they don't properly fit you and are too stiff for your needs and possibly injure you. I'm sorry but that's how it works in skating.
oh I didn’t mean I wanted ice flys lol sorry for the confusion

adri.skater

Spectator
Well your Jacksons don't have enough support because you're wearing Elles! You never should have been wearing such a soft boot at your weight and skill level. You're jumping axels and soon doubles, you need to be in Premieres at a minimum.

Also, again, at your weight and skill level, Edea Chorus isn't going to last you 2 years. You'll get a year out of them, maybe less, depending on how many hours you skate.

At your skill level, it would behoove you to become more educated about different boot and blade models.
omg I didn’t know thattt , bc my old coach suggested the Elle’s to me so I thought they would last me longer. For the premeirs do they come with their own blade?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
omg I didn’t know thattt , bc my old coach suggested the Elle’s to me so I thought they would last me longer. For the premeirs do they come with their own blade?
No, and at your level you should not be wearing a kit (boot and blade combo), they are not nearly supportive enough. All skates that come as a kit are too low level. As Ic3Rabbit said, get a MK Professional or Coronation Ace blade.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Just to begin getting familiar with boots and models, starting with Jackson:

This page is all their skate kits, the low level stuff. The most supportive models are at the top and the least supportive models are at the bottom:

This page is the one you need to learn, the boots only. The synergy at the top is their newest model that can be ordered in 3 different stiffnesses. If you liked this, you could order it in a 60 rating. Below that is their 5000 series which are their stiffest boots and above your level right now. Below that is their 2000 series which is the one you should familiarize yourself with. Most of these are not supportive enough for you now learning axel and doubles, so you'd want to look at the Premiere:

Basically, ALL bootmakers have multiple models of boots. How supportive or not a boot is has nothing to do with the brand and everything to do with what model you are wearing. Feel free to learn the same about Riedell and Edea and Risport.